Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Performance workshops discussion

boon

Great idea for a thread boon.

1 thing i think that lacks at most workshops is accountabilty for what goes on at these places. We all spend as you have said time & hard earned cash on these cars. & basicly you show up they get you to sign a form sayn they are cleared of any & all fault should something goes wrong. Use health n saftey as an excuse so you carnt see when they are doing tuning or major work. While i understand they are doing there work people should be able togo check out there car being tuned or hell in this dayn age live feed it being done. Pricing is my other gripe. These places charge like a wounded bull i work for my self & understand we all have bills to pay but when you read not only on this forum but other what people are being told for cost is just down right robbery. Like the Wof standards being reveiwed here & more than likly cause of it we are all guna end up paying more for our wofs these places need to get there heads out of the clouds on what they charge for services. Tobe honest i pick up alot of work because they guys storys of what they have to charge for not only modification work but even just servicing work.

But look forward to readn other comments

Well there are a few we’ll know places that have blown up many engines and only fix stuff if you sign an agreement to not talk about it ever.

A few countries and maybe nz have cases where those agreements that exclude any damage on the dyno or tuning are not legal when challenged in court.

also sticking with a bigger shop that can do everything saves a lot of hassle if something goes wrong as they can’t shift blame around. 

Do any of these shops actually engage in any form of contract prior? If so what are the clauses etc? If you were getting a proper build of $20,000+ (Haven't done but I'd imagine more common than you would think) surely you don't just do that on good faith. I mean for a service or tune on the dyno fine but at what point does that stop?

1. ALWAYS check that the company is registered, even if they have been around for a while, does not mean they are legitimate. (Been there, done that) 

You can do this here - https://companies-register.companiesoffice.govt.nz

2. THERE ARE NO FRIENDS IN BUSINESS, you pay them, there is no such thing as 'mates rates' they not only want your money, but NEED it. Been there, done that. 

3. NEVER give them an inch of leverage, an inch turns into a mile. If S*** seems to good to be true, IT IS. Check on it regularly, everyday, physically, if possible. Been there, done that. 

4. Supply as many parts as you can yourself, never assume they know what you need. Been there, done that.

5. PAPER TRAILS, always save your digital conversations, and if things are bad. Record phone calls. ALWAYS get receipts for work done. 

Seriously just never be afriad to be a total C unt. That's your money, if they don't want to do what you say, they'll either say no. Or yes, and take that money of yours. 

It's always about the money. 

• Like 6

If you are doing anything custom... don't expect miracles. Things go wrong. The aftermarket parts you have bolted to your car

have NOT undergone the level of testing and R&D that OEM parts have.

Your modified car is not going to be as reliable as an OEM car... if you want much higher performance than the OEM car provides, it's

going to cost money up front, then more money to work out the initial problems, then more money for maintenance than an OEM car.

Unless you know the person actually doing the work, or the person closely supervising them, has done the exact work you are asking,

and on the exact same model car... don't just think they know exactly what needs to be done or all the potential pitfalls.

If you don't trust that the person or workshop doing the work is capable, then either go in every day and check on the progress, or just

don't give them the car in the first place.  A company is only as good as the people working in it... a name means nothing. A once great

company might have none of the original staff or owners that made the company great... and might actually suck. That should only be

a temporary situation, as people will catch on quickly.

No matter where you go, no one cares about your car or your budget like you do... why should they? You are responsible for what

happens to your car and how much it costs. Get time and cost quotes for everything... if the workshop is unwilling to give a quote,

then it's up to you to decide if you trust them to do it in a reasonable amount of time and for a reasonable amount of money... which

is often the same thing... labour is always the biggest expense.

• Like 4

• Admin

I'm wondering if we should open this up to praise and give constructive criticism over the businesses. Aka what their perceived strengths are and where you feel they didn't live up to the expectations. 

To be clear, it isn't to be a bashing thread and the businesses themselves are more than welcome to speak and give their own thoughts and feedback if @boon and others would like to go ahead? 

I will heavily moderate (so it doesn't turn into a flame war) the thread if we move forward and if anyone feels like they'd like an Anonymous post, I'll be happy to accommodate. 

• Like 2

• Admin

At an even higher level, like most things in life, mismanaged expectations and poor communication are the fundamentals to satisfaction in general.

In my own experiences, I always clarify the price, or expected price range for a piece of work whether its planned or unplanned, for anything and everything.

For a more relatable example, when my car was with Tony for the fuel system fitting and tune, my P/S pump started to leak. As expected, Tony called me, quoted me a price range to pull and diagnose the pump. Didn't promise me anything about the resolution or price of it but in the end diagnosis was a bad o-ring, so to replace it was a couple bucks more as the pump was already apart. Whilst the additional cost was unplanned, the management of the problem through to resolution met my expectations for a professional and experienced outfit. Furthermore, this was all detailed to a high degree on my invoice and reflected the phone and email conversations we'd had.

In other examples, when outfits don't meet my expectations, I simply don't use them again. I vote with my wallet and that way I find outfits that do align with and agree to my expectations.

• Like 3