• Announcements

• 1randomkiwi

ClubSub Forum Updates   13/03/19

Important forum upgrades are coming up which may mean the www.ClubSUB.org.nz forums will be temporarily unavailable.   Check out our Official Facebook Page for more updates.   www.facebook.com/ClubSubNZ
  • Current Donation Goals

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Inked

Front guards on WRX

18 posts in this topic

Hey all, 

I have recently put wider wheels on my car and it’s rubbing on one side. I have since noticed one of my guards (driver side) is slightly wider ? I have placed a picture below to show this. Just wondering if anyone knows the reason is one a WRX and one STI or has one been modified as the arch line seems to be more rounded also. 

Slim 

A13495EE-7617-4639-B9A6-F12D51E4D0C6_zps

Wide

4AD69434-EC1E-449C-859C-3F4B8B1FEA6B_zps

wheels are too wide    :D

guards should be approximately the same.

looks like a spacer on one side ?

bad past repair ?

Edited by newsuba
1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, newsuba said:

wheels are too wide    :D

guards should be approximately the same.

looks like a spacer on one side ?

bad past repair ?

The wheel is only to wide on one side and both wheels have been spaced evenly. So has to be a guard issue. 

Do any any of the wrx guards have a different style or you reckon it could be a repair? Maybe they have rolled it out a bit and then put some filler over which has lost the line. Car has been resprayed at some point so could be hmmm might have to get a new guard and get the roller out haha 

Or.........

Do it right with some fender flares and meaty rubber to match the rims :D

3 people like this

Figured out the 2000 shape wrx sti have more of a rolled lip than a arch by looking at them so this is the difference. now to hunt down another. ¬¬ 

Ehh what now?

There's only 2 shapes in the GD/GG series AFAIK, the sedans get the wide guards and the wagons and a few complete poverty model sedans get the non-wide ones.

I would be looking at the alignment of the entire front subframe?

16 minutes ago, boon said:

Ehh what now?

There's only 2 shapes in the GD/GG series AFAIK, the sedans get the wide guards and the wagons and a few complete poverty model sedans get the non-wide ones.

I would be looking at the alignment of the entire front subframe?

One guard is 1000000000000000% different lol the whole edge is more pumped, i have pulled it off and noticed no repairs / modifications to it. By looking on trademe some of the 2000 shape bugeyes look like they have a more rolled lip. 

This could also be me comparing the "poverty' vs good ones and maybe it just is a wagon guard? if they fit. the car just had been all aligned etc so I dont see that being the issue. 

Would the Prodrive have wider guards? 

The wagon/povvo ones are basically flat other than a slight lip.

Maybe the guard was pumped at some point, or one's had some panelbeating?

*has a look on Trademe to see if there is a subtle difference*

Had a look on Opposed Forces, same part number across all the cars that have the "wide" fenders :S

1 person likes this

The V7 sedan is 1730mm wide and the hatch is 1695mm wide.V7 sedan front track 1485mm and the hatch front track 1465mm.

1 person likes this

and the wagon guards fit the sedan? . I will measure the difference tonight. would say its about 15mm difference. 

Posted (edited)

Any reason why the passenger side guard doesn’t line up flush with the bumper.I’m sure the sedan bumper is slightly wider then the hatch bumper.

Edited by Dre

7 minutes ago, Dre said:

Any reason why the passenger side guard doesn’t line up flush with the bumper.I’m sure the sedan bumper is slightly wider then the hatch bumper.

It is not screwed to the guard on passenger side at the moment. need to sort that out. 

Has definitely had a small crash up front previously as front bumper and passenger guard are different shade of silver. so thinking it may be the wagon guard or non STI guard. 

Posted (edited)

Sti and sedan guards are the same for V7.

Edited by Dre

Wagon is still completely different to sedan though.

Have a bit of a Google. There really is no way to mistake one for the other as Boon has said. Completely different shape, not just slightly wider on the sedan. 

1 person likes this

hmmm very strange then, must be a bad repair of one of the guards as its noticeably wider. Might go find one that's wrecking and grab a guard to match either side. 

Can't tell much from this picture... the camera angle is different... wheel lock is different... and possibly different camber, different shock compression, different tyre pressure, different wheel.

1 person likes this

Ideally you wanna take a few measurements between different points with a string line against someone like Boon’s to see where things are wrong. Or just be happy that one kinda fits and get the other one pumped. Have they been rolled currently?

From those pics it sorta looks like the wide one has a smoother flowing curve outwards at the top and the other one stops widening 2/3rds of the way up.

Could be just the different pics making it look that way though.