Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Shaking/Wobbling in Steering Wheel at certain speeds

Finding my S-GT has developed a sort of shake/wobble in the wheel when going around 105-115kmh. Have had my wheels balanced a couple times and they checked out all good.

My mechanic had a real quick check over, rotated the wheels, didn’t find any play in the steering rack to justify shaking/wobbling. Also added a very small weight to one of the wheels. While this helped, the problem still persists. 

It’s quite inconsistent too. Mostly of the time it will do it, sometimes it won’t. Has me stumped as to what it may be. Any ideas?

Have you had a wheel alignment not just the wheels balanced?

Are you running stock rims?

Also hit any pot holes that could have bent the rim or damaged the tire sidewalls?

rear bushes on lower control arms wear out and crack. Can’t move them by hand but car weight can. 

47 minutes ago, Gripless said:

Have you had a wheel alignment not just the wheels balanced?

Are you running stock rims?

Also hit any pot holes that could have bent the rim or damaged the tire sidewalls?

rear bushes on lower control arms wear out and crack. Can’t move them by hand but car weight can. 

Havent had an alignment since I’ve had my SSR’s on my car.

Hit a huge pothole in them and bent the rim and wrecked my tyre so I had that all fixed. Possibly could be that the wheel isn’t 100% since the repair? The issue is it was so long ago and I’m not sure when the all this wobbling started happening since I wasn’t doing a huge amount of open road driving to notice it..

Alright first step will be a wheel alignment. 

Wheel alignment has to be way off spec to cause any vibration problems.Check your tyres for uneven wear.If you have a bent rim,problem will move as you rotate wheels.If you have after market mags,they may have a removable spigot ring for multi fitment for other vehicles.This is what locates your mag onto the hub,it may be missing.Again the problem will move when you rotate wheels.Warped or cracked brake rotors are obvious under braking.Make sure there is nothing raised between the brake rotor hub mounting and wheel hub mounting.

Best way to find out what’s going on is to jack car up securely on all 4 lower suspension arms and run car at idle through the gears and check wheels and axles for vibration.Otherwise swap over your wheels with another set.Cheap front axles can also cause problems,axles which have been swapped left to right and rebuilt cv’s.I’ve even had a new car that had to have the tyres shaved.

Edited by Dre

Not sure if this is just entirely coincidental buuuut

My front bumper is currently unhinging itself on the right hand side (getting fixed this week)

Of course I slap it back in but never know when it pops out again until i've hopped out of the car. So I unhinged it purposely just then, went for a 10 minute drive and while the car wasn't so bad, it still had the wobbles at about 105-110kmh. 

So I slapped the bumper back in, tapped it down firmly and went for another drive. The car was a lot better and there was hardly any shaking/wobbling. But surely a slightly unhinged bumper wouldn't be a prime cause of this?? Or is it enough to sort of hook enough air when driving at speeds and throw the cars balance out?

Edited by Shibe

11 minutes ago, Dre said:

Wheel alignment has to be way off spec to cause any vibration problems.Check your tyres for uneven wear.If you have a bent rim,problem will move as you rotate wheels.If you have after market mags,they may have a removable spigot ring for multi fitment for other vehicles.This is what locates your mag onto the hub,it may be missing.Again the problem will move when you rotate wheels.Warped or cracked brake rotors are obvious under braking.Make sure there is nothing raised between the brake rotor hub mounting and wheel hub mounting.

Best way to find out what’s going on is to jack car up securely on all 4 lower suspension arms and run car at idle through the gears and check wheels and axles for vibration.Otherwise swap over your wheels with another set.Cheap front axles can also cause problems,axles which have been swapped left to right and rebuilt cv’s.I’ve even had a new car that had to have the tyres shaved.

Hmm thanks for that. 

Never knew spigot rings were a thing until you mentioned that. 

Yeah they are a thing but not always fitted when they should be. 

that’s why I asked about factory rims. After market ones need rings to center them on the hub and not have the wheel studs take the load

like @Dre suggested swap the wheels to the back and see if the problem shifts as well. Then you can see if it’s wheels or the car. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gripless said:

Yeah they are a thing but not always fitted when they should be. 

that’s why I asked about factory rims. After market ones need rings to center them on the hub and not have the wheel studs take the load

like @Dre suggested swap the wheels to the back and see if the problem shifts as well. Then you can see if it’s wheels or the car. 

Front wheels were swapped to the back when I took it for my mechanic to look at. Problem still persisted after that. 

• Admin

Hub centric rings is probably the more commonly used term you may have heard of. Had to google it to remind myself what Dre was talking about. 

While they are the right way to ensure the wheel is perfectly centred they aren't taking the loading off the studs as some assume.

Well that narrows it down to something non wheel related at least. 

Does the wobbling increase if you lightly apply the brakes?