Mercurius

Yet another engine oil thread

Sorry if this thread is obligatorily redundant. I've searched and read the oil thread in the FAQ, but still quite curious about several points and would like to share some interesting findings.

I am using Total Quartz 9000 5W30 oil in my 2007 Legacy 2.0GT since the recent service, following the owner's manual service data:

https://imgur.com/x4zxh63

In other posts I found that people would prefer W40, W50 or higher oil to prevent oil burning or to protect the engine (don't know if all for tracks). In my understanding it's better to use higher viscosity oil for harsh driving conditions like track use and stop-start short trip, just like when using the car as a daily grocery-getter. So here's my question: is it advisable to use higher viscosity oil even if no track use intended, or just better off keep to the service data?

I am using Total oil only because my friend's workshop is Total authorised so I can have discount. It came to my notice that Subaru genuine oil may be a rebadged Total (some hearsay told me some may be rebadged Idemitsu though).

Subaru obviously doesn't produce engine oil itself, nor does it explicitly disclose the manufacturer or data of the "SUBARU Genuine Motor Oil" stated in the service data. On the Japanese official website we could notice at lease one SLX 5W40 is produced by Castrol (https://www.subaru.jp/accessory/engine_oil/)

Its top of the line oil on the other hand are indeed produced by Elf (or Total depending on how you see it): SUBARU LES PLÉIADES ZÉRO 0W-30 and SUBARU LES PLÉIADES 10W-50 (an option listed in service data) (http://www.pleiades-zero.com/). So I guess by some stretch using a Total quality oil may not be a bad idea, since Total may know how their products work in a Subaru.

What is your choice on oil brand and viscosity for non-track use?

Thank you.

Just did a swap with Motul 300v 10w40, but thats in my 1997 STI RA. Hardly drive it so decided to fork out for the good stuff.

• Like 2

What @BattleSnayke Motul.  

Get it from Toyota north shore or manakau.  Cycletreads the bike shop in takapuna used to be cheapest. They had the 660 brake fluid ver very cheap too. 

• Like 1

See, the big thing is just getting the weight right. Honestly, these days most good brand oils will do the job perfectly. 

I use Penrite, I have used Catrol Edge, Motul, Valvoline, blah blah blah. 

Full Synthetic, decently priced stuff will do you well ($60-80 or higher but thats your choice), but once you've put something in the car, just stick to it. 

However, as the above, Generally Motul is highly rated as far as motorsports go. It does come with a price tag associated with it however.

1 hour ago, Dairusire said:

Full Synthetic, decently priced stuff will do you well ($60-80 or higher but thats your choice), but once you've put something in the car, just stick to it. 

What is the theory behind sticking to one type of oil once you've used it once?

What is the theory behind sticking to one type of oil once you've used it once?

Oh, that's simple. Different oils are for the different cars I've had

And engines! Forgot about that. RA has had 3 engines so far in my ownership lol

• Sad 1

Three engines might be more a reflection of how you're driving rather than the oil that's going into it Haha.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Three engines might be more a reflection of how you're driving rather than the oil that's going into it Haha.
Hahahaha not a lie my friend! I'd definitely say that's what happened to the first one, the second engine? Naaaah but that's a long story.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

It's not true that all synthetics are the same. Just buy the most expensive oil available and cross your fingers that it's good.

Motul! H tech 100 plus if you are just street driving / light track or 300v is great for track. 300v is a big price jump

All the Llama / Prestige guys run it in their cars so must be somewhat good ha ha. 

A lot of the fellas here speak highly of Motul. And I've heard similar things about it too.

Personally, I use Castrol Edge 5W-30, as that's what SubLab (Whangarei Subaru mechanic) recommended me ages ago. Also cos the other stuff at the time was in 4L containers, not 5L like the Castrol Edge (02 TT Legacy takes 4.5L).

Castrol is probably the best "generic" brand you can buy in my opinion. But if you can afford to spring the extra cash for Motul, DO IT.

I forgot to mention royal purple as well. 

Their race oil is amazing. 

The thing to watch is the higher performance or “racing” oils need to be changed more often so really do cost more.  They have less detergent so I used to mix 50/50 racing and normal.

I think this is the one that shows Mobil S out performed Mobil 1. 

This doesn’t every test but just pressure and film strength which is a good indication.  

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil Tests.pdf

Posted (edited)

i lolz at all the mentions of zee french oils.

😁

Edited by newsuba
  • Like 1

I used to buy elf 5/30 in 20L drums, still have a soft spot for Elf. 

Used penrite for for a while, that was alright. 

Now i I just use Castrol Magnetec in the gravel express and Edge in the RA-R, funky used to go on about castrol, probably coz of Rick. 

Just did an oil change of the gravel yesterday, forgot it takes 6L now, man that was awkward. 

Back to to doing an oil change every 6 weeks or so now, so might change the flavour up a bit.

Who’s gonna test out that Red Stamp for us? 😅😂

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have used castrol edge 10w60 and motul 300v 15w50... the oil pressure is definitely a lot more stable with the motul. I think the consumption is slightly less as well.

You do pay a lot more for it though, and would not put it in a road car... james marshall motorsport (jmms.co.nz) is the cheapest place I have found to buy it btw.

Edited by Loren
  • Like 1