Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Blitzen power cut out issue

Ralphy15

Hi all, first time poster, long time lurker.

So I have this '02 Blitzen wagon that I've already spent waay too much money on, so this is the latest drama.

When driving the radio will cut out randomly (turn off and straight back on), this can happen a few times before the headlights/interior lights etc all start to flicker a bit, followed by the whole cars power going out for between 1 to 3 seconds, before all comes back on and she continues on no prob, until the process starts again.

I've already spent too much at the auto electricians replacing the ignition switch and generally waste of time fault finding. I'm thinking it's either the radio feeding back and overloading the system, or the relatively recently installed AVS alarm/immobiliser is cutting in randomly.

Anyone had a similar issue that they got to the bottom of?? Any insight is much appreciated!

Does the whole power include the engine?

So there no issue when the car is stationary and engine running?

How long after the alarm was installed did the problem start?

What stereo gear is there other than the main head unit?

Do you have a multimeter?

Check the earth straps to the bodywork and the battery terminals

If you can remove the stereo plugs seems a simple test if you suspect it. 

11 minutes ago, Gripless said:

That.

A stereo in my Brighton 220 that I had moons ago would restart every now and then when brakes were applied. 

Cleaned all the earthing points I could find and never seen it happen again. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Gripless said:

Does the whole power include the engine?

So there no issue when the car is stationary and engine running?

How long after the alarm was installed did the problem start?

What stereo gear is there other than the main head unit?

Do you have a multimeter?

If you can remove the stereo plugs seems a simple test if you suspect it. 

Yes the power includes the engine.

Nah no issues when its stationary.

Didn't start straight after, would have been more than a month later.

Nothing other than a headunit.

Yes I do have a multimeter. What do you suggest I check?

Yes I'll check and clean all the earth straps tomorrow and see if it helps, thanks for the advice!

Id say the terminal are most likely loose on the battery or the relay for the alarm. The relay on alarm could be rubbing on something and shorting as well. 

Could be alterantor regulator isnt stable  either but the multimeter should show that. Analogue ones are best but the sparkie should have tested that first. 

Hook the multimeter up and see if the voltage fluctuates or just cuts out. 

That or log the ecu voltage if you have the cable and phone/laptop. 

21 hours ago, Gripless said:

Id say the terminal are most likely loose on the battery or the relay for the alarm. The relay on alarm could be rubbing on something and shorting as well. 

Could be alterantor regulator isnt stable  either but the multimeter should show that. Analogue ones are best but the sparkie should have tested that first. 

Hook the multimeter up and see if the voltage fluctuates or just cuts out. 

That or log the ecu voltage if you have the cable and phone/laptop. 

All the Earth points look good, so I hooked up my OBD2 scanner and the voltage was fluctuating, then when I whacked the headlights on the whole thing cut out, except for the scanner and light for the alarm flashing, along with a loud clicking under the dash.

So I’m guessing it’s the alarm that’s causing the issue. Anyone have experience with AVS alarms and Subaru’s?

Still could be alternator not holding a good voltage.

The relay for alarm should be external so maybe look for that next or follow the clicking until you find the relay at fault.

If the alarm keeps restarting as the voltage drops out then it will cycle the relay. 

Maybe easy to go back to alarm installer and get them to check their work. Could be a bad wire or a faulty main unit so be nice to start with. 

1 hour ago, Gripless said:

Still could be alternator not holding a good voltage.

The relay for alarm should be external so maybe look for that next or follow the clicking until you find the relay at fault.

If the alarm keeps restarting as the voltage drops out then it will cycle the relay. 

Maybe easy to go back to alarm installer and get them to check their work. Could be a bad wire or a faulty main unit so be nice to start with. 

Yeah you might be right there, since the voltage did dip before the power cut out. Is the alternator regulator a replaceable part I can get from somewhere? 

Also came across this, could this work around stop the alternator fluctuating? 

https://strongforsubaru.com/subaru-alternator-fault-fix/

40 minutes ago, Gripless said:

Does the battery go flat?

also does the voltage jump from 14.2 down to 12.9 or move slowly. 

That fault sounds like a switch that makes the voltage quickly change between those two exact values. 

Nah it doesn’t go flat, it’s more like it’s overcharging and surging.

Heres a vid of what’s happening I took tonight

Does the alarm light start flashing if the car turns off normally?

video voltage is 14.4 then 10.7 and dead 

is still be going to the alarm installer to get the alarm checked as it should be free and ruling it out would help heaps.