logan25

EJ20X vs EJ20Y

Hi all, new here,

Anyone know if there are any major differences between the EJ20X and EJ20Y model. Apart from the obvious, that the X is coupled with auto transmission, Y with manual. 

Have an EJ20X engine and looking at installing into a manual transmission legacy, keeping within the 4th Gen legacy for simplicity. 

Haven’t found much on the web, most information seems to suggest they are the same. 

Any info would be appreciated,

Thanks 

Edited by logan25
  • Like 1

Hi all, new here,

Anyone know if there are any major differences between the EJ20X and EJ20Y model. Apart from the obvious, that the X is coupled with auto transmission, Y with manual. 

Have an EJ20X engine and looking at installing into a manual transmission legacy, keeping within the 4th Gen legacy for simplicity. 

Haven’t found much on the web, most information seems to suggest they are the same. 

Any info would be appreciated,

Thanks 

As far as my research that I did when I bought my bp5 with an ej20x I concluded there was no difference other then turbos.

• Thanks 2

Looks like you can do a direct swap from all that info. 

You'll have a higher compression ratio, so more responsive off boost, and more power on boost.

It will be more prone to knock,  so use good fuel and be careful how much boost you put into it.

• Like 1

Also another question, the EJ20X I have is coupled with a VF44, if I were to install this on a pre-facelift (03-06) legacy, whose auto transmissions had a VF38 originally, would the ECU require a re-flash for the VF44 or as its all factory should it be fine?

Read somewhere, that some kiwi people have swapped from a VF38 upto VF44 no issues but couldn’t find info if the ECU needed to be modified. 

At a guess the turbo size difference and the difference in CR will be handled within the envelope of safety that the factor ECU provides.

You can always put it on a dyno to check... worst case you will have to flash the ecu to correct or install a simple piggy back ECU.

Edited by Loren
  • Thanks 1

@gotasuby may have pulled apart enough to know if the comp ratios are different?

A few have done the vf38->vf44/45 swap without a tune and they work well. Needs a tune to make the most of it but will work fine if just getting the car running is the goal for now.

• Thanks 1