Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

no lights in BG Legacy instrument cluster

sooby

Hi guys,

Have a BG Legacy and noticed the instrument cluster lights no longer work when headlights are switched on. 

All backlighting for other instruments like aircon controls, cigarette lighter surround etc still work.  As these are on the same circuit I thought the fuse was likely OK, checked and confirmed fuse still good.

Youtube clips show there are close to a dozen incandescent bulbs behind the dash, pretty unlikely they all blew at once you reckon?  Perhaps a loose connection?  No work has been done on dash recently, so I'm stumped why this happened.

Anyone experienced similar?

• Sad 1

• General Member

no dimmer on BG but yeah I had a similar issue with the AC / Climate control Lights being dim... then I realised I drove with my headlights on all the time (they dim)

LOL

but yeah trailer plug was good idea or a short in wiring etc

3 minutes ago, sooby said:

cheers guys,

Brake & tail lights seem OK.

Trailer plug could be the culprit - whats the best way to check / where do I start lol?

If the trailer plug wiring was the culprit it would have blown the tail light fuse. So if the fuse is still ok, I wouldn’t carry on down that path.

Are you sure what you are experiencing isn’t just the normal dimming of the interior lights when you turn the headlights on like Joker mentioned.

If this was an electrical issue then would almost certainly be a blown fuse. If not it would be a loss of power/ground circuit to the cluster (ie broken wire, or something unplugged). If you can confirm power/ground at the back of the cluster for the illumination wires and it still doesn’t work then the cluster is faulty (unlikely).

That is the thought path I would follow anyway.

3 hours ago, IZichard said:

If the trailer plug wiring was the culprit it would have blown the tail light fuse. So if the fuse is still ok, I wouldn’t carry on down that path.

Are you sure what you are experiencing isn’t just the normal dimming of the interior lights when you turn the headlights on like Joker mentioned.

If this was an electrical issue then would almost certainly be a blown fuse. If not it would be a loss of power/ground circuit to the cluster (ie broken wire, or something unplugged). If you can confirm power/ground at the back of the cluster for the illumination wires and it still doesn’t work then the cluster is faulty (unlikely).

That is the thought path I would follow anyway.

Will check all fuses, thanks.

Definitely not normal dimming - car simply doesn't have this function.  The dash instrument lights are totally off, at night I had to drive with interior cabin light on to read speedo

hrmm, considering car's low value & age might just live with it as not worth taking to an auto sparky.

On 18/04/2019 at 7:33 AM, Joker said:

it's not hard to get the dash our for a visual inspections, screws up under dash trim & a few around the housing etc, plug could have fallen out? 

Cheers Jared, will give it a go.  Makes sense it is a loose connection more than all the bulbs failing at once.

muchos gracias amigos!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

well, this is weird.... the dash lights are back working!  

In my experience it's not often things fix themselves.  Guess I'll enjoy 'em while they are back & sort a fix next time they go

• 4 weeks later...