Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Hdi intercooler

Abomb

So I’ve decided against the redline kit, my biggest issues are the loss of fog lights and they don’t supply a piping with a flange for a bov. 

That being said, after talking to nzkw I don’t think that’s the right kit either. Its cheaper than redline actually but I didn’t get an answer for which brand they are so I’m thinking it’s some sort of knock off.

Enter Hdi, there are some great reviews and some mediocre reviews depending on the platform. I like that they retain headlights, decent sized core and everything needed to install and go comes with the kit. The routing for the piping is also a bit interesting. 

now, before I order it, does anyone have first hand experience?

9 hours ago, BattleSnayke said:

If you can wait a while I have a friend who has amassed a collection of intercoolers and is going to be testing them all on a dyno - all different price ranges etc 

Be interested to see these results, and how it's going to be tested. Size has a large effect on flow & pressure drop

11 hours ago, Loren said:

I think you should buy a good quality intercooler and BOV and then pay someone to pipe it up nicely... the way you want it.

Agreed. ITL are good & cheap cores imo

• Like 1

• Admin

Honestly, I agree with the others. 

Buy a core to suit, take it to a fabrication place that know what they're up to, and get it done to suit you properly.. It's certainly not the cheapest route, but the fitment will be better and its probably gonna net you the best result.

The generic kits are typically a sh!t fitment unless you're paying big $$$ for stuff like HKS, Process West, Perrin and the like. 

The HDI kits look like a good option @Batbaruman was running one on his V7 and it did well. I think they are the better of the 'cheaper kits' 

A person in Wellington is working with a tuning shop as mentioned above is doing a FMIC comparison shortly so will be great to see if the cheaper ones work just as effectively. The only issue with the HDI kits now is you have to get them from AUS and may get stung with tax :( 

• Like 1

The HDI kits look like a good option [mention=20441]Batbaruman[/mention] was running one on his V7 and it did well. I think they are the better of the 'cheaper kits' 

A person in Wellington is working with a tuning shop as mentioned above is doing a FMIC comparison shortly so will be great to see if the cheaper ones work just as effectively. The only issue with the HDI kits now is you have to get them from AUS and may get stung with tax  

Sucks that it gets stung with tax now. Going custom on a good locally made core is an option still from fabrication shops and can get nice looking piping too. To answer your question about the HdI kit, it was pretty awesome. Very efficient and I did have pics somewhere in my garage thread about shining super bright light through it comparing against some other core to confirm it’s not just some S*** design (though my IAT logged before and after confirms this with real data) . My turbo was spinning out of efficiency range and basically blowing hot air so for the IAT to come down from ambient +20-30 range to ambient +3-10c range the hdi FmIC had proven it’s worth to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Batbaruman said:

Sucks that it gets stung with tax now. Going custom on a good locally made core is an option still from fabrication shops and can get nice looking piping too. To answer your question about the HdI kit, it was pretty awesome. Very efficient and I did have pics somewhere in my garage thread about shining super bright light through it comparing against some other core to confirm it’s not just some S*** design (though my IAT logged before and after confirms this with real data) . My turbo was spinning out of efficiency range and basically blowing hot air so for the IAT to come down from ambient +20-30 range to ambient +3-10c range the hdi FmIC had proven it’s worth to me

Does the HDI kit come with a flange welded onto the pipe for BOV? I am unsure how much tax would be . it may only work out to be 100-200 which wouldn't be too bad. or maybe talk to a company like North shore Toyota and see if they can get it into NZ at a better price. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, Inked said:

Does the HDI kit come with a flange welded onto the pipe for BOV? I am unsure how much tax would be . it may only work out to be 100-200 which wouldn't be too bad. or maybe talk to a company like North shore Toyota and see if they can get it into NZ at a better price. 

Are we talking the stock Subaru Flange? Because I took my intercooler pipe to a local fab dude, and it cost me $40 cash to get the flange for my Turbosmart BOV welded in place looking mint.

• Like 1

Yep stock fit flange for bov is already included, don’t remember there being a gasket but my bov bolted right on

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Abomb said:

It is coming from Australia but I didn’t get hit with tax, just 55 bucks shipping. Bought one this morning. If customs wants to tax it do I get a notice or something?

If it gets hit with tax it will be at customs in NZ you wont know if it gets picked up until it gets here. they will email / call you before releasing it from customs. 

Let me know if you get taxed or not as I am keen to get one also :D 

14 minutes ago, Inked said:

If it gets hit with tax it will be at customs in NZ you wont know if it gets picked up until it gets here. they will email / call you before releasing it from customs. 

Let me know if you get taxed or not as I am keen to get one also :D 

Yeah man can do. I also have a code for 15 percent off their customer service department gave me if you want it. 

• Like 1

Let me know if you get taxed or not as I am keen to get one also  

Just heads up that it can be pretty random with customs. Both of u may make same order arrive same time at customs and one of u get taxed other one doesn’t

• Sad 1

Ah gotcha, I’ll just wait and see. According to the customs calculator I’d be on the hook for about 160 bucks if it gets flagged.

how was the install for you on the hdi unit?

I’ve done a few in the passed, essentially line everything up before you tighten it down and get ready to do some bumper trimming. 

11 minutes ago, Batbaruman said:

Just heads up that it can be pretty random with customs. Both of u may make same order arrive same time at customs and one of u get taxed other one doesn’t

Still playing the waiting game. Haven’t received a tracking number or anything so I emailed their customer service yesterday. Turns out it’s still processing in their computer for some reason so now I’m waiting on an answer for why it’s been processing for a week. :/