Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

How hard to install a boost gauge?

Hi fellas,

was just wondering from 1-5 rating how hard to install a boost gauge in v11’s or in any versions of the sti? I went to one sparkys and reckon will cost like 200? Didnt really trust how he explains it but yeah. I do want to figure it on my own but if it would be a cheap options to go in a sparkys why not..

Thank you..

• Like 1

• General Member

if it's your first ever mod it can be daunting & yep $200 sounds about right for 1/4 hours work LOL (ok maybe half an hour to an Hour as I bet they like to tidy up the illumination & wirings a bit better than I do)

have you bought New, as in did it come with a kit / vac line and a "T" etc?

is the line good quality or can you crush it with your fingers (like my Aliexpress Boostgauge LOL / not lol)

first you need to find a weak spot in the fire wall, a grommet or rubber boot you can push the line though towards the Intake Manifold

now I'm not familiar with anything newer than 98 so yeah bear that in mind here (someone else may pop along shortly with pictures)

"t" into a line going into or out of the intake mani & run that back to where ever your going to mount your gauge, mounting in itself is another wee drama, are you going to make holes in your dash? / steering wheel mount or in front of your cluster? I think Pillar mounts are awesome btw :P

black wire ground, yellow will be 'acc' blue? Might be illumination ie when you turn your lights on the face lights up, oh and a red for +ve / always on maybe

bit hard to guess without knowing a bit more about what you got, did it come with instructions?

I am a bit of a joker so some info vauge on purpose as I know I'll get corrected by someone here who's done it more than the 2x I have i reality LOL

being a newer car I'd like to think you'd prefer a neat & pro install too, so might just be worth paying for this time

• Like 1

• Admin

Depends on what gauge you get but i’d say  1-1.5. It's a nice easy mod to do yourself really.

Can be a bit time-consuming feeding wires through the firewall if you don't know where to look which is probably why they want so much.

• Like 1

• General Member

also lmgtfy : (just watch this in a mirror LHD / USDM)

[I dont know what year a Version 11 is I'd have to google that too!]

And I cannot 'vouch' for the videos correctness or methods, was the first short clip that came up on YT

3 hours ago, Joker said:

if it's your first ever mod it can be daunting & yep $200 sounds about right for 1/4 hours work LOL (ok maybe half an hour to an Hour as I bet they like to tidy up the illumination & wirings a bit better than I do)

have you bought New, as in did it come with a kit / vac line and a "T" etc?

is the line good quality or can you crush it with your fingers (like my Aliexpress Boostgauge LOL / not lol)

first you need to find a weak spot in the fire wall, a grommet or rubber boot you can push the line though towards the Intake Manifold

now I'm not familiar with anything newer than 98 so yeah bear that in mind here (someone else may pop along shortly with pictures)

"t" into a line going into or out of the intake mani & run that back to where ever your going to mount your gauge, mounting in itself is another wee drama, are you going to make holes in your dash? / steering wheel mount or in front of your cluster? I think Pillar mounts are awesome btw :P

black wire ground, yellow will be 'acc' blue? Might be illumination ie when you turn your lights on the face lights up, oh and a red for +ve / always on maybe

bit hard to guess without knowing a bit more about what you got, did it come with instructions?

I am a bit of a joker so some info vauge on purpose as I know I'll get corrected by someone here who's done it more than the 2x I have i reality LOL

being a newer car I'd like to think you'd prefer a neat & pro install too, so might just be worth paying for this time

Hi joker,

thank you for your response (hands down for a very well info’d response.)

i bought a new one (auto gauge, one with stepper) it does comes with everything and all the information in regards of the installation. Yes i do want a neat and nicely done, just a bit paranoid because i believe on this versions they are a bit sensitive to everything its kinda one hit delete i reckon🤣. Im not that really on the electronic side so i just dont want to mess this things up. Haha

3 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

Depends on what gauge you get but i’d say  1-1.5. It's a nice easy mod to do yourself really.

Can be a bit time-consuming feeding wires through the firewall if you don't know where to look which is probably why they want so much.

Thank you  andy for the response,

Its an (auto gauge brand) and brand new. Just dont know where to feed the wires really haha like where to hook it in. 

• Like 1

• Admin

Assume it is an electronic and not mechanical one correct? 

There is a grommet on the passenger side of the firewall that is reasonably easy to access in the cabin, comes down just behind the glovebox. Feed the wires up from there towards the hole where you’ll remove the clock to get power, then feed it over to wherever you want the gauge.

Following a proper YouTube/forum how-to is a good way though, they’ll typically show you the best way to unclip trim pieces to avoid wrecking anything.

If you want to spend more money then a block8head gauge pod will look way better than the standard pods these kind of gauges come with too.

https://www.block8head.com/

https://www.facebook.com/Block8head/

Working on a same project on my GVB. Only boost gauage from Defi. Have the electrical wiring done. will do the firewall cable through, hopefully, this weekend although still have no clue where to?????? Can update if everything goes smooth.