Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

STI swap

hey just a couple quick questions, i have a 1999 Legacy B4 thats been swapped with a version 7 STI motor, do i need a cert? it passed a wof inspection like this but ive heard that it will fail a wof without cert... can someone please give me info on this as i need to know if i need a cert or not.

Cheers

hey just a couple quick questions, i have a 1999 Legacy B4 thats been swapped with a version 7 STI motor, do i need a cert? it passed a wof inspection like this but ive heard that it will fail a wof without cert... can someone please give me info on this as i need to know if i need a cert or not.

Cheers
Technically yes it needs a cert. Realistically how many wof issuers would notice? Not many unless they know Subarus well

• Admin

That's what I was thinking too. If it was a TT previously output will be around the same along with engine capacity. Only problem is only a certified can sign off to say it doesn't require a cert for either of those things 🙄

7 hours ago, iludez said:
16 hours ago, subaru99b4 said:

Cheers

Technically yes it needs a cert. Realistically how many wof issuers would notice? Not many unless they know Subarus well

3 hours ago, Joker said:

is it within the threshold of 'increased power'

I reckon it will be & you'll be fine

its around 250kw atw so idk if thats within the threshold or not

250kw ATW is not within the threshold. It is over a 50% increase on the original factory power output.

I needed a certification for my BD5 Legacy TT when Mattchanics converted it to Single Turbo.

Edited by Bobby
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, iludez said:
19 hours ago, subaru99b4 said:

Cheers

true true, only thing is theres alot of very clear aftermarket mods but i mean who knows maybe they wont think anything of it

As Loren has said. Take it in. So its a increse of 15% increase in displacement it will.

So ej20t twin-single no

Factory ej20-ej2.2 then yes.

20-2.5 yes. 

Non turbo-turbo yes will need it. 

You could have a 300kw turbo engine in factory turbo car. No. Be aware its up to Wof guy if it doesnt drive straight or stop like it should. Then shouldnt get a Wof. Most Wof guys if its 2ltr with bolt ons will just want to make sure it stops well. 

https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/suplementary_information/LVVTA_LVV_Cert_Threshold.pdf

It explicitly says (page 12):

11-1 "Note: LVV certification is always required for the fitting of a turbocharger as a modification, or the upgrading of a turbo or waste-gate."

Interestingly it says you'll need one if the fuel type changes, which I would assume includes ethanol/flex-fuel (13-2, page 13).

• Thanks 2

your looking into this far too much ah ii did a twin to single 10 years ago on my twin turbo gtb did 8 years of wofs at vtnz never had any problems with wof and not once was it ever asked about  stop worrying about it many people have done the twin to single mod and never had problems 

• Like 1

The initial post asked if he could fail a wof. The answer is yes.

And there is misinformation being disseminated here.

Likelihood of getting away with it is something else, and he has a good chance of getting away with it.

Then again, with the tightening grip on wof inspections it may not last long.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Like 5

• General Member

thank god someone posted the LVVTA Link

technically Jono is right : Turbo Mod = cert

as does a ECU change (even on its own) is technically a cert (I'll try find proof in a tic / I read it on the internet : no actual experiance & I am not a WOF inspector / expert)

still a better discussion than a facebook mechanic group

https://www.lvvta.org.nz/faq.html

even a manual swap with completely factory parts is a cert (as soon as you touch the Brake pedal...)

Gearbox substitution  the OE gearbox cross-member has not been heated, cut, or welded; and  the OE gearbox cross-member mounting to the OE body or chassis members is unchanged; and  no replacement gearbox cross-member is used; and  the OE drive-shaft(s) remain and is un-modified; and  no substantial modifications have occurred to the floor or gearbox tunnel area, other than provision for gear-shift mechanism; and  the braking system is not modified or changed, including the brake pedal.

Note: LVV certification is always required for the fitting of a supercharger or turbocharger as a modification, or the upgrading of a supercharger, turbo or wastegate, or the re-chipping of electronic engine control units on turbo vehicles.

• Like 1

• General Member

(but please continue the discussion) this isnt the end!

yep you'll get away with it we all know someone that does / is / has, so, whats the 'potential' fallout?

think CSI / or crash scene investigations & insurance

in the event of an "accident" (there is no such thing) and even you're not 'at fault', "insurance" may not cover you fir 'illegal mods' and such red tape

• Like 4

• General Member

(and if I am plainly wrong : CALL ME OUT : that's the point of a Forum :P

nothing worse than Internet experts without any actual 1st hand knowledge : I'm just good at the search button half the time or like reading threads in odd places and filling my head with more often than not "useless facts"  hah

• Like 2