Emmadrew18

Impreza gen 3 1.5l vs 2l

Hi guys, I’m looking at buying a Subaru Impreza generation 3 but am unsure if I should get a 1.5L or a 2L auto, looking for fuel economy but also a bit of power. What have you guys experience within the two? Thanks 

No idea how reliable either of the later NA options are but i’d say go for the 2.0 if they're similarly specced engines besides capacity, especially if with the auto. Underpowered engines mated with auto’s end up using just as much, if not more fuel as they're always being pushed that much harder to get up to speed.

• Like 1

Ditto on the 2.0

the 1.5 will have to work harder to Move the same Mass = use more gass, what do the carjam / Trademe Fuel stats say?

Also assuming your referring to these 

Third generation (2007–2014) – GE, GV, GH, GR

200px-Subaru_Impreza_2.0R_Sedan_2009_%28
Sedan (pre-facelift)
200px-2010_Subaru_Impreza_%28GH7_MY11%29
Hatch (facelift)

and with zero 1st hand experiance I'm gunna go by the Trademe listings that popped up 1st

FoPIZP8l.png

both 2008

1.5 : https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/auction-1861777980.htm?rsqid=da4883b855d04da7a9443669e8e735e5-002

Ratings

Fuel economy info 

Annual fuel cost of $1,850

2.0 : https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/auction-2167677172.htm?rsqid=da4883b855d04da7a9443669e8e735e5-002

Ratings

Fuel economy info 

Annual fuel cost of $2,210

all depend on how heavy your foot is I guess & every day you get in a 1.5 you'd wish you went for a 2.0 anyway

also one could spout out "Newer Auto Trans these days are much more efficient than those of the last Millenium a ther ehave been advances in parasitic power losses" etc

It’s a big heavy car for a 1.5L with the drain of AWD. 

You lose power to the AWD system so economy isn’t a big point for either engine. 

• Like 1

Is the 1.5 AWD though?

the review on the listing mentions 

15S – Powered by the 1.5-litre engine. Available in front or all-wheel drive, with a four-speed automatic or manual transmission.

FWD 1.5 be the way to go I reckon

OR

take both for a test drive maybe?