sooby

BR 5th generation Legacy things to look out for?

Hi guys,

We're looking at upgrading to a BR 5th generation Legacy, are there any things to look out for in this model?  Known weakpoints etc?

Thanks!

There are a few recalls for that model:

• Takata Passenger Airbag
  • Electronic Parking Brake
  • Possibly more

I have heard some people complaining of headlight lens deterioration with the HID models. Maybe just check the beam pattern in a dark garage or similar.

2.5i have CVT transmission, having some known service history will be beneficial.

Do not expect it to be super economical.

Some come well specd will keyless access, steering wheel controls/cruise control etc. Others can be complete poverty spec.  

cheers guys, appreciate it!

We already have a 4th gen 2.5i auto so not expecting too dissimilar milage

The seller says the cambelt has been done, however underbonnet sticker proving this is gone and can't tell from the brief service history (just shows each interval was serviced with Wingers / other Subaru dealer).

Is a way of knowing by giving the plate number to Wingers or Subaru NZ?  I know Toyota keep detailed service records, hope Subaru is the same!

If winger has done it they should be able to tell you if you ask about a particular service, they just cant give you the full service history without the previous owners permission

24 minutes ago, Firenza said:

If winger has done it they should be able to tell you if you ask about a particular service, they just cant give you the full service history without the previous owners permission

cheers, I  got hold of the correct winger's that did the cambelt back in 2013, so I guess its due again.

Anyone able to give me a ballpark figuire for cambelt replacement?

At winger? $1500ish? Even at an independent i'd reckon 4 figures.

For an aftermarket kit alone it would be about $500, with another $120 for the water pump. Then you've got a fair few hours of labour.

On a SOHC EJ motor the cambelt isn't 'too" hard, but you have to diasassemble a bit to get to it, so depending on how mechanical you are you could try yourself 😄

3 minutes ago, Firenza said:

At winger? $1500ish? Even at an independent i'd reckon 4 figures.

For an aftermarket kit alone it would be about $500, with another $120 for the water pump. Then you've got a fair few hours of labour.

On a SOHC EJ motor the cambelt isn't 'too" hard, but you have to diasassemble a bit to get to it, so depending on how mechanical you are you could try yourself 😄

cheers firenza, yeah my GC8 WRX was about $1k thru winger sublab, think our BG legacy was about half that at an independant mech.

Think I'll leave it to the pros - a bit out of my league!

All good, The engine isnt that different to the ej25s in the old cars, so the pricing should still be about the same.

I did remember something about the 5th gens tho, and thats to avoid "09" built ones, as the CVT transmissions were more likely to fail. They recived an update in 2010. The 3.6 is uneffected as that uses the old 5EAT trans instead

46 minutes ago, Firenza said:

The 3.6 is uneffected as that uses the old 5EAT trans instead

GT as well.