Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

GRB Engine Rebuild

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Omsin said:

"Shouldn't" - correct, "Have" - evidence suggests (debatable - Subaru motor is quite sensitive)

Was a class action lawsuit in America regarding piston rings, slightly different to bearings but the conclusion was more or less "poor / inadequate design"

That was for the EJ257 but even the EJ207 early on in the GR/GV live cycle was prone to spinning a bearing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dairusire said:

That was for the EJ257 but even the EJ207 early on in the GR/GV live cycle was prone to spinning a bearing.

Yes, correct.

Speculation is that its an oil issue, too thin, sloshing to one side (ineffective baffle), oil pick up failure, low oil. Then again it seems more likely to be from knocking which would then cause a pretty quick sequence of events leading to the self destruction of the motor. 

Back on topic, it could be that the OPs motor had developed knock prior to the log above, the damage would have already been done to the crank / rods - which once the engine increases RPM as per the data logging run (even without knock at this specific point in time) would lead the engine to be operating off balance at high RPM and chew through the bearings?

Edited by Omsin
Spelling edit

43 minutes ago, Omsin said:

Then again it seems more likely to be from knocking which would then cause a pretty quick sequence of events leading to the self destruction of the motor. 

Pretty much this, for both engines imo

• Like 1

Here's some pictures of the engine

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WX_tSGqM6GVtLin1mQ-bBPFWHA_APeGj/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11gP-tK_yd-DC5WP1Tfv7M9Hlw6v3SMwv/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jCZcOIaVEEKSzoYUSMgGZ5fQPH2z6KII/view?usp=sharing

The debris inside the bore was not there when the head was removed! It just from a dirty shop rag

Edited by wrcfan21

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. A new shortblock has been ordered and the heads have been sent away for service. They have found one of the intake cams to have weird wear on one of the lobes and recommends the cam to be replaced.

Anyone know where to find a new or used Left hand intake cam?

They also found the exhaust valves to be leaking and one of the lifter buckets has scoring marks on it. They think the bucket has been stuck and not able to move freely.

• Admin
11 minutes ago, wrcfan21 said:

Just an update. A new shortblock has been ordered and the heads have been sent away for service. They have found one of the intake cams to have weird wear on one of the lobes and recommends the cam to be replaced.

Anyone know where to find a new or used Left hand intake cam?

They also found the exhaust valves to be leaking and one of the lifter buckets has scoring marks on it. They think the bucket has been stuck and not able to move freely.

Maybe a good option for you would be to go to a kelford cam? Nothing extreme or anything but since you've gotta replace the cams?

• Like 2

I have a set of those cams from my spare engine. 

2.0L W block dual AVCS JDM
Have rods crank etc as well

Make me an offer  

Are you willing to sell just the left side intake cam on its own?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Admin
2 hours ago, wrcfan21 said:

Are you willing to sell just the left side intake cam on its own?

to be honest, your best bet is asking Subaru Directly. The chances of finding someone who'd be willing to split up a full set of Cams that are good isn't super high. Try wreckers or engine rebuilders, hell even Kelford. They may have something around that'll suit your purposes, be it second hand, or new whatever.

Photo of said cam lobe?

For one cam lobe id be asking Franklin cams or similar the cost to repair it. My understanding is cam journal clearances are set individually from factory so the same spec cam from a different engine may not as simple as bolt in.

When I was looking around there was a set of factory STI quad avcs cams for $300, it may have been from PBMS? I didn't end up getting/using

• Admin
3 minutes ago, wrcfan21 said:

Thanks for the info. I’ve been quoted $550+gst for the 1 cam from subaru. And it had to be ordered from Japan! At least 2 weeks wait

shesh, that hurts! Suddenly, getting four cams at only twice the price doesn't look to bad compared to $500+gst for one! haha

1 hour ago, wrcfan21 said:

Thanks for the info. I’ve been quoted $550+gst for the 1 cam from subaru. And it had to be ordered from Japan! At least 2 weeks wait

Go to Partsouq.com enter your vin, see if they have cams in stock. Cheapest parts supplier for oem almost every time. Shipping is fast

• Like 1

Another random question. The shop doing the heads has asked what the valve clearance should be. He recons it is different for this model compared to older STi's. I can only find the EJ257 manual online. Will the clearance be the same?

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

• Admin

I don’t mean to sound like a prick, but a headshop or shop that’s doing heads and don’t know or can’t find the clearances for said heads, probably shouldn’t be doing the job... instead of asking the customer for answers.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Dairusire said:

I don’t mean to sound like a prick, but a headshop or shop that’s doing heads and don’t know or can’t find the clearances for said heads, probably shouldn’t be doing the job... instead of asking the customer for answers.

+1

Shop should not be asking you for those kinds of answers, one it leaves you open for all kinds of grief if they do it wrong and something unfortunate happens and secondly... if you knew then you would probably be capable of doing the job yourself haha

Edited by Omsin
  • Like 1

@wrcfan21 if you are still looking to get your engine done bring it in and we'll get it sorted for you. 

I know it is a fair distance but it's well worth it for a solid engine that will give you no troubles. 

If you have any more questions flick me a message or give us a call again. Can arrange to get car or engine picked up as well. 

Thanks Pat

• Like 6

Thanks Pat

I’ve found a new W20C shortblock. Once everything is back together and run in WRC Developments in Napier will do the tune.

You guys have been very helpful. It’s great to see you being active in this community!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So just an update on my engine rebuild. Speedhub in Pukekohe supplied me with a new W20C shortblock. They also supplied a new oil cooler and cleaned my AVCS cam gears. The heads were sent to a local engine reconditioner who sourced a new camshaft, fitted new stem seals and reset the valve clearances. Engine was reassembled locally by my mechanic. I sourced new oil pump, head gaskets, O rings, seals etc as well. A new clutch was also fitted.

Car has been running on a break in tune for the past couple weeks. Tuner also disabled all the TGV codes and secondary air pump codes as I deleted these while the engine was out. I fitted a Crawford Air Oil Separator V2 while buying bits for the rebuild and purchased a baffled sump from James Marshall Motorsport.

So far so good. It's definitely getting a dyno tune this time once it's run in!

Edited by wrcfan21
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...