blitzd808

V7 STI Intercooler into bc/gc

Hey guys,

have had a bit of a look through the forum but a lot of old links no longer accessible.

Has anyone got a good link or writeup for fitting a v7 STI top mount into a bc5/gc8? I've convered my RS manifold to v3/4 and am currently running an ARC top mount but looking to make the most out of my future tune (link G4, injectors etc) without going front mount.

I'm looking for instructions where it uses the later model clutch reservoir as i would rather replace with a new unit than take a grinder to the existing set up.

Cheers

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, blitzd808 said:

Hey guys,

have had a bit of a look through the forum but a lot of old links no longer accessible.

Has anyone got a good link or writeup for fitting a v7 STI top mount into a bc5/gc8? I've convered my RS manifold to v3/4 and am currently running an ARC top mount but looking to make the most out of my future tune (link G4, injectors etc) without going front mount.

I'm looking for instructions where it uses the later model clutch reservoir as i would rather replace with a new unit than take a grinder to the existing set up.

Cheers

I cant locate the link I used but from memory the things you need to do are.

Offset clutch cylinder or cut the stock reservoir down and clamp it back to cylinder.

Modified mounting brackets.

Longer turbo to intercooler hose.

You need to shorten the hose from intercooler, to intake manifold so tmic can fit in between fire wall.

Possibly need to run aftermarket bov, or make your own hose to recirc the stock v7 bov. 

V7 intercooler splitter, you will need to drill new mounting holes to make this fit your bonnet.

May need to put some rubber on the gearbox pitch stop mount to stop intercooler from rubbing or rattling on it.

I think that's mostly it.

Edited by ginganinja
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ginganinja said:

I cant locate the link I used but from memory the things you need to do are.

Offset clutch cylinder or cut the stock reservoir down and clamp it back to cylinder.

Modified mounting brackets.

Longer turbo to intercooler hose.

You need to shorten the hose from intercooler, to intake manifold so tmic can fit in between fire wall.

Possibly need to run aftermarket bov, or make your own hose to recirc the stock v7 bov. 

V7 intercooler splitter, you will need to drill new mounting holes to make this fit your bonnet.

May need to put some rubber on the gearbox pitch stop mount to stop intercooler from rubbing or rattling on it.

I think that's mostly it.

Awesome, thanks very much. Regarding the clutch cylinder, does it have to be V7 STI? or would any GD/GG one work? 

20 minutes ago, blitzd808 said:

Awesome, thanks very much. Regarding the clutch cylinder, does it have to be V7 STI? or would any GD/GG one work? 

I believe any v7 one will work. I think @Niran had a for sale listing with v7 master cylinder. Think he had a few other parts for the conversion that came out of his restore project. I sold my complete v7 intercooler conversion kit to the previous owner of his type R project.

• Like 1

I've got a V7 intercooler for sale yup. The clutch master is the original v5 though sorry, so can't help there. @blitzd808

• Like 1

Awesome, cheers guys. My tuner has an intercooler off a v8 STI so good on that front. i think i saw a few cheap GG wrx v8 cylinders on trademe so will jump on one of those.

• Like 1

Bumping an old post - i've got a v8 wrx clutch master cylinder but it has 3 ports for the hardlines. The RS only has one - do i need to/can i cap these off? Cheers

11 hours ago, slystiguy said:

Won't your IACV hit the bov?

Will make up some sort of adapter i think, otherwise blank off completely. im running a link anyway