Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Wrx Sound System Upgrade

Subru

Thinking of upgrading the sound system in my V7. I find that my current setup doesnt cope that well. I have a JVC KW930BT headunit. I don't want to spend much so im thinking about just doing front speakers+tweeters for now.

I Went to abtec audio and they quoted me a pair of 'DD CS5' speakers with tweeters for $199.

Id like to hear what everyone else does and what I should look for.

Most of the noise comes from the floor / wheel wells, but dampening the doors does give the speakers more punch as less energy is wasted resonating / vibrating the crappy sheet metal. I did my doors and noticed a good increase in sound from the speakers, it has however highlighted just how much noise comes from the floor / tyres tho.

I have a 2011 WRX with the premium sound system, may be a different story for older base models with paper speakers. If you want the best bang for buck then middle of the road speakers with new wiring and an amplifier should set you on the right path,running speakers off just the head unit does not even come close to reaching the potential of most speakers.

Sound deadening can be done for $140 on all doors and a days labor 

• Thanks 1

Headunit will be far better than you think those JVC units are underrated. 

Speakers and mounting will make the biggest difference. 

Speaker brand depends on music taste.

The more effort on the things below can make $50 speakers sound better than $500 speakers on not installed properly. 

sound deadening is good and for the price @Omsin got it well worth doing. The noise is resonating bass form the door cavity. Makes a difference to exhaust drone as well. Won’t help you if you have a pitch stop mount that is too hard though. 

Things to do with install:

buy and some jaycar closed cell foam to the outer door skin to stop reflections

even if you do doors fully in dynamat like stuff. Speaker cones are thin and sound does also go through them. 

Newer cars have foam rings around the speakers to seal them to the plastic door trim so no bass leaks where you can’t hear it. 

Speaker mount maybe as be as big as 6.5” and the newer plastic is sometimes better. Ie 2007 up speakers are in carbon fibre reinforced. Not woven pretty but mixed into the plastic. 

I cut the factory speakers out and screwed new 6.5” infinity coaxial speakers in. Sounds pretty good but have underwear sub as well now

If you dynamat cut strips (or foam) to put between speakers and mounting plates as well to squash down and airtight seal things. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes jaycar stuff is closed cell foam so no water gets held in it.

Also mount it so the top slopes so water runs off the top edge. I cut the foam back on the top edge at 45 degrees as well to it has even less chance of water staying there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gripless said:

Yes jaycar stuff is closed cell foam so no water gets held in it.

Also mount it so the top slopes so water runs off the top edge. I cut the foam back on the top edge at 45 degrees as well to it has even less chance of water staying there. 

Jaycar stuff is quite expensive for the amount you get, would pararubber have the right kind of foam?

https://www.jaycar.co.nz/self-adhesive-sound-absorbing-foam/p/AX3662

https://www.jaycar.co.nz/combination-butyl-foam-super-sound-deadener/p/AX3689

which of these two? I assume the AX3662 will do the job

So jaycar stuff for the panel behind speaker, dynamat to cover the whole panel and dynamat between the speaker and the panel it screws to. Got it.

Just finished this now, definitely more clear sound, maybe a bit more bass. I noticed the speakers looked pretty old and there is falling materiel coming off around the cone area. Ill probably invest in some decent speakers now.

Done a lot of research and talked to some people.

So my idea of a small upgrade of speakers is now gone.

I have a quote for the below which ill probably get:

Kenwood KMM-BT304 Head unit

Infinity Ref6030cs component speakers

Fusion EN-AM60040 amp

Soundstream SST-12 Sub with Sub box & Grill

Cabling

They will make me speaker spacers too.

All this stuff can transfer to whatever car I get next (If I sell Subaru or get a new daily) so I might as well get a decent setup.

9 minutes ago, Subru said:

Done a lot of research and talked to some people.

So my idea of a small upgrade of speakers is now gone.

I have a quote for the below which ill probably get:

Kenwood KMM-BT304 Head unit

Infinity Ref6030cs component speakers

Fusion EN-AM60040 amp

Soundstream SST-12 Sub with Sub box & Grill

Cabling

They will make me speaker spacers too.

All this stuff can transfer to whatever car I get next (If I sell Subaru or get a new daily) so I might as well get a decent setup.

Infinity kappa is a step up from reference I can vouch for them

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gripless said:

I’ve given up on amps and underseat subs are now awesome I have the C Vega one at 40% at repco. 

hmm! i have been looking into these, would they be easy to slide out if needed? like when going to the track. or do they not weigh a tonne line the sub with box haha

if it only weighs a couple of kgs I would just leave it in. 

34 minutes ago, Gripless said:

15kg = Skinny vs chubby for the passenger 

as for bungee cords only ever in a sedan. They don’t hold up well if you hit something 

Yeh i just lost 35kg so I can afford a whole system upgrade and still be lighter :P

• Like 1

• Admin

So how do these Vega subs actually stand up against a quality full depth one?

I've been considering something like this for a while as the large sub has been in the garage since flatnatslast year haha. 

Way easier than getting a custom box made up to hug the side of the boot.

• Like 1

15kg is 15kg when you have another car with the same power next to you on the straight haha

cant really take up my boot as I need the room for wheelchair also, might look into the CV one or just get some decent speakers and amp them. Pretty sure I still have the OEM speakers they are Terrible