Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BL/BP upper nav screen size needed

Andy_Mac

• Admin

Have any of you lot with 4th gen Legacy’s got this style of nav surround and if so can you measure the opening sizes?

I’m currently tossing up options for my new setup and visually this particular one looks like it'll be the best size for the screen I've got.

48573365292_ebf08f1c29_b.jpg

Hey man,

You're a top (the top?) contributor around here so I'm happy to be able to help with this one. Just took mine out recently to remove the useless screen and make my Note 9 fit instead, so happened to already have these pics that should answer your Q. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mg2kmreq64oxuv7/20190805_172300.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l60squvyssijwt7/20190805_172350.jpg?dl=0

• Like 1

• Admin

Cheers

Have you got the note 9 permantently mounted or removable?

What have you done about the hole from the buttons now?

Pretty sure its the right cubby for what i’m doing but haven’t worked out what i’d do with the holes left over, unless i grab one with the nav still attached and butcher it to keep the buttons in place but not doing anything.

• Admin

Not a huge fan of aliexpress electronics in general but that's actually pretty cool. Would be a good alternative to a Nexus 7 set up that takes only a fraction of the effort.

Not the way for me though. Going to a windows based setup so I can run a few windows only programs.

29 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Not a huge fan of aliexpress electronics in general but that's actually pretty cool. Would be a good alternative to a Nexus 7 set up that takes only a fraction of the effort.

Not the way for me though. Going to a windows based setup so I can run a few windows only programs.

Yeah it’s more about getting the frame to tidy up the gap left from the factory setup once removed, there will be options out there for using a similar bracket and using your own unit 

• Admin

Could use the current large nav fascia one but there will be a gap of about 10mm on each side that I would need to deal with too. 

That's what the current setup looks like.

42967424374_7fffde71b6_b.jpg

This small one would be perfect height wise but the width is about 5mm too narrow so a little bit of the screen will be covered.

9 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

Could use the current large nav fascia one but there will be a gap of about 10mm on each side that I would need to deal with too. 

That's what the current setup looks like.

42967424374_7fffde71b6_b.jpg

This small one would be perfect height wise but the width is about 5mm too narrow so a little bit of the screen will be covered.

10mm gap is better than cutting the screen off on the sides. There’s a few ways to cover it up, foam around the sides, sheet of black plastic cut to size. Depends how good you are with your hands

• Like 1

• Admin
6 hours ago, Omsin said:

10mm gap is better than cutting the screen off on the sides. There’s a few ways to cover it up, foam around the sides, sheet of black plastic cut to size. Depends how good you are with your hands

Exactly, missing some of the screen would be a pain for usability but was hoping the fascia measurements just weren't quite exact. Only talking 2mm either side.

In reality it'll be quite good to have some space to the side of the screen to make tapping in the corners easier.

• 1 month later...

Andy_Mac, I think I have an OEM screen with buttons attached still somewhere if that's any use to you. Don't have the surround/fascia, just the screen. I have a Nexus 7 2013 in my Legacy, been thinking about going to Windows as well tho. What software were you wanting to run on yours?

• Admin

@aaronpnz Na screen and buttons aren’t any use to me, already have a touchscreen so just deciding on which fascia best suits it. 

Mainly after Windows for the EMTron ECU stuff as there isn't yet any decent way to get it to output data to Android.

Any particular reason you're thinking of switching?

The Timur ROM really is quite brilliant in it's execution so hopefully my windows setup should be able to startup and shutdown in a similar fashion. Windows isn't exactly optimized for small touch screens even in tablet mode so it may take some time getting used to.

@Andy_Mac The Timur ROM is good, it doesn't always shut down correctly this and battery drains fast at times, need to remove and charge overnight. It could also be the Tasker profile I'm running tho I guess. Running Headunit Reloaded as well for Android Auto which works well, bit laggy in wireless mode so cable it is for now. 

Only real reason to move to Windows is the challenge really. I picked up a 7" touchscreen from AliExpress a year or so ago, haven't used it yet, so thinking about that and Lenovo stick PC I have, or smashed screen Surface Pro I also have *sigh*

Alternatively, some kind of USBC dock from my Huawei to a touchscreen for control in DEX mode...  too many ideas, not enough time and no budget these days. 

Did you see my ABS/VDC post? Was hoping you'd know something!

• Admin

They're all getting old these days so charging issues are pretty much guaranteed. Mine lasts pretty well considering it's only driven once or twice a week.

A stick PC was my first idea too but accidentally got an ASUS one which I didn't realise till quite far in only works with their power adaptor. It varies voltage so couldn't work in a car setup without a transformer to 240v to plug the official charger into so kinda gave up on that.

What is the connection method for the touch screen?

I've got a LattePanda going in with an openups power supply and one of their screens so might have a tinker with some arduino stuff too as it has that builtin.

Not super familiar with vdc/abs stuff but I'll have a crack haha.

It's just a USB connection for touch input. I did once connect my phone via USB-C to HDMI and USB for touch to the screen, it worked ok. Thinking about setting up an Android phone in the car as a wifi router so I can connect phone to Headunit Reloaded via WiFi, no wires. I found a command that will turn an Android phone on when power is applied, and it works. I also have an 8" Windows tablet somewhere I was going to try install in there as well. Too many gadgets...

I have a USB hub in the glovebox, with a 256gb SSD and audio dac. I'm planning on somehow integrating my Google Home speaker into the mix via the dac, it has mic input as well as output. Will have to pull the Home speaker apart... oh well. 

When I get time and motivation that is.

• Admin

@aaronpnz Sounds like some serious stuff. I'm just hoping I can work out how to make mine turn off and on correctly haha.

USB for touch sounds easy. Mine uses two short ribbon cables which is all a bit too fragile for my liking.

I was really wanting an 8inch display but couldn't find one I could set up for touch as touch displays are all a bit new to me still.