Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Front rear control arm bushing

Omsin

• Admin

Looks like the right part. Hard to tell from your pic but the centre isn't actually perfectly centred on a lot of these. From your pic it almost looks like it was pressed in backwards and that the wider side is inboard rather than outboard.

Any idea how old they are? Poly doesn't last particularly well in instances with side on twisting so chances are it's just done it's run and should be replaced.

48720825166_e41ba76f85_b.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Admin

It'll certainly look better once back at standard height with the arm closer in line with the post but can't see it flexing back enough to not be marginally sloppy. 

The spherical style that the facelift STI’s got are much better, don't suppose you know if they fit the WRX models @Gripless?

The basic type from Whiteline (W53353) is listed to fit both but the spherical style (KCA425) only shows WRX’s from the VA gen as being compatible.

• Like 1

The pre facelift STi some had rubber from factory. Think 09 maybe some had the bearings. Anyway mine had rubber and torn to s*** so I have the bottom ones. 

Lists WRX and STi so same size

https://www.whiteline.com.au/product_detail4.php?part_number=KCA334

lists only STi but says WRX as well in description 

https://www.whiteline.com.au/product_detail4.php?part_number=KCA425M

Edited by Gripless
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

It'll certainly look better once back at standard height with the arm closer in line with the post but can't see it flexing back enough to not be marginally sloppy. 

The spherical style that the facelift STI’s got are much better, don't suppose you know if they fit the WRX models @Gripless?

The basic type from Whiteline (W53353) is listed to fit both but the spherical style (KCA425) only shows WRX’s from the VA gen as being compatible.

5 hours ago, Gripless said:

The pre facelift STi some had rubber from factory. Think 09 maybe some had the bearings. Anyway mine had rubber and torn to s*** so I have the bottom ones. 

Lists WRX and STi so same size

https://www.whiteline.com.au/product_detail4.php?part_number=KCA334

lists only STi but says WRX as well in description 

https://www.whiteline.com.au/product_detail4.php?part_number=KCA425M

The STI uses a different control arm but it can be fitted to a wrx if you replace the stud (different sizes) for the rear bushing mount.

Ill have look into it and see what I can find on just a straight bushing swap.

originally the rubber was ripped apart, hence the poly bushing install 

• Like 1

• Admin

@Omsin I thought I'd heard something like that before too. Weird that some of the options work, but guess those one's could be sized for the larger studs and have more space for potential misalignment which they wouldn't want on the performance options.

Hardrace make hardened rubber one’s which i’m quite a fan of. Most of the poly performance without the inherent issues poly often comes with.

Who do you guys use for used subaru parts? I'd be quite keen to do the STI arm swap if I can get my hands on them for a good price. Other problem I foresee is that my Whiteline roll centre kit may require a new ball joint if I swap arms (not reusable?)

1 hour ago, Andy_Mac said:

Aren't the ball joints the same, you just need to make sure the STI arms come with the insert for the alloy arms. Volk4 on Trademe dismantles a heap in Hamilton so might be good to ask.

Just realised the ball joint is seated in the knuckle not the arm itself so it doesn’t need replacing. From what I’ve read the only thing that needs changing is the stud which attaches to the body/chassis as the wrx is a thinner stud.

Ive asked him, before I tried to haggle on price he said he had them, then said he doesn’t. Back to square one haha.

The STI alloy arms are supposed to be a lot better than the bulky steel wrx arms so I’ll keep looking around. Almost have the car set up  how I want it 🥳

last things on the list are new bushings for the rear upper control arms, trailing arms and new rear camber + toe arms

oh and I found my up pipe Heatshield has broken welds and rattles ever so slightly 

Edited by Omsin

Alloy arms flex less but in low speed crashes like hitting a curb at 20khp+ they won’t buckle and transfer the impact to the subframes. Seen it with evo swaps as well. 

Partsouq the bolt and whiteline bearings. Call whiteline and talk to them they like most Motorsport place are friendly. 

Ok, Say I ordered the Whiteline ALK on Sunday but I've been thinking about it this whole time and have come to the conclusion that this style bushing is always going to have deflection due to the way its designed - Rubber / poly being levered against a stationary stud.

I've looked up the part code for the 12-14 style pillow ball bushing and according to a Subaru parts site it will fit my car? (other sites have said not)

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2012_WRX-SEDAN/BUSHING-TRANSVERSE-LINK-REAR/49229126/20204FG000.html

The only thing i'm not sure about is if this bushing is physically different and won't fit in the WRX arm (i know the studs can be replaced if that's the only size difference)

I'm tempted just to onsell the kit i've ordered for a small loss and order in the newer style OEM bushing, it will give better feedback from the wheels but without the benefit of increased castor.

What do you think is the best thing to do?