McMatty

Small Claims/Disputes Tribunal

Who has been and why? Ive recently been through the system to get payment for my old Legacy that someone rolled. The amount theyve been ordered to pay isnt all that big however they are now refusing to pay and have started threatening me. How did you all get your payment when they refused? 

• Sad 1

Restraining order and ask the police while you are there. 

isn’t there a charge for failing to comply with a court order. 
citizens advice service is free and can answer those questions. 

• Like 1

Small claims court, pay fee - take a court date. Present your case, including itemised quotes (more than one). The judge takes a few days to think about the case, response is mailed to you. Once awarded payment etc you can get it enforced at your local court house / dispute tribunal. Sometimes the defendant will make arrangements and pay via instalments to the court who then pays you.

I’ve taken Luxurysports to small claims over a defective product and was awarded a full refund, they paid it pretty quick.

I’ve also gone through it with a lady who crashed into my car and avoided all contact / liability for it and then tried to say I crashed into her. A year later I went to disputes tribunal with my insurer and as far as I know she’s now being chased by the courts to pay my old insurer. 

It can be a long process if the other person is a muppet. You can request that your personal information isn’t shared to the other party when the court documents are served (address etc are normally plastered all over them). Threats you would have to show the Police and issue a protective order (they get arrested if they violate it)

Edited by Omsin

Wait, hang on. You say they've been ordered to pay, ordered by whom?

If you already have an order from some sort of court/tribunal/blah, just go to your local district court and get them to enforce it. They'll probably start by sending a letter or two, followed by a bailiff if money doesn't start flowing again.

• Like 1

letter from your lawyer (or you with a good looking letter head) can often put pressure on

give them a time limit or a chance to 'arrange payments in installments (somethign better than nothing)

then say you'll be handing the 'invoice to a collection agency, and costs included etc

& ahh yeah just because you've been awarded, the 'enforcement' is not automatically part of the process, I never received my $65~ for my nicked piss

(burgler received 9 months)

Wait, hang on. You say they've been ordered to pay, ordered by whom?

If you already have an order from some sort of court/tribunal/blah, just go to your local district court and get them to enforce it. They'll probably start by sending a letter or two, followed by a bailiff if money doesn't start flowing again.

Ordered to pay by the disputes tribunal. I have already printed out an enforcement order application just need to fill it out and send it in but figured I'd talk to my uncle about it first (partner at a law firm). I'll be going and seeing him this weekend hopefully so I'll let you all know what he says

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk