Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

WTB : 2.5L wrx engine

Naval

Hey guys wondering if anyone could help me 

I took my car for dyno run and tune to Dunedin and they mechanic completely destroyed the engine of my 2014wrx 2.5L nz 

anyone selling or know where I can find one if possible under 50,000km 

• Admin

99% of dyno operators have a frankly bewildering disclaimer that basically says they could pull the head off your motor and squeeze out a giant f***ing turd inside your block and it wouldn't be their fault. For a fairly expensive "premium" service they somehow get away with murder, imagine if you took your car to a panelbeater and their disclaimer was like "we may completely ruin your paint and dent all of your panels". Although on the other hand, there's probably too much risk of shed-built piles of s*** exploding and then being blamed on the tuner.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, boon said:

99% of dyno operators have a frankly bewildering disclaimer that basically says they could pull the head off your motor and squeeze out a giant f***ing turd inside your block and it wouldn't be their fault. For a fairly expensive "premium" service they somehow get away with murder, imagine if you took your car to a panelbeater and their disclaimer was like "we may completely ruin your paint and dent all of your panels". Although on the other hand, there's probably too much risk of shed-built piles of s*** exploding and then being blamed on the tuner.

Totally agree here although thankfully I haven't had my vehicle blown up on a dyno I can confirm their disclaimer is bs

• Admin

You still hear stories of motors they handle from the ground up to tuning getting the same kind of disclaimer which is bulls***. It's one thing to protect themselves from muppet builders but to use it as a get out of jail card when they push too hard too fast isn't right.  

4 minutes ago, TNHSTI said:

Totally agree here although thankfully I haven't had my vehicle blown up on a dyno I can confirm their disclaimer is bs

35 minutes ago, boon said:

I see...

There is the consumer guarantees act or fair trading act, which no matter what you sign and what a service provider says, cannot be opted out of.

I think if you could somehow prove they provided inadequate service or incompetence (aka they f***ed up a setting or whatever) then they would be liable. I wouldn't know where to start if it happened to me but there must be something you could do if it was in fact the tuners fault. More reason to stick with reputable shops!!!

• Admin

Good luck trying to get all the required info out of them to take it anywhere unless everything from engine build to fitment of all parts and tune was done by them. They'll always find a way to blame some part they didn't have anything to do with fitting or recommending

• Sad 1

• Admin

You can bet your right testicle that the very first thing a dodgy tuner does when an engine goes full grenade on them is removes the previous change they made in the ECU.

"Nah I just ran it up to 3000rpm and it went boom, wasn't even on boost at the time"

How are you going to prove otherwise?

• Like 1

Coming from the other side the amount of s*** Chinese parts especially fuel parts like injectors and fuel pressure regulators is astounding and means we need to have a disclaimer for problems not arising from our work. Any tuner should stand by any work they do And parts they supply. 

The other problem we are getting more and more of is people are buying project unfinished cars that have had 3 different owners, Chinese whispers turns it from being a rb25de+t motor to a fully forged rb25 will head studs etc. Its not financially viable for us to pull off heads to check so if we are informed that an engine is forged we treat it that way. 

It also goes both ways, we have had many customers that try and drop car for tuning on 98 or npd100 then bringing it back a few weeks later down on power and surging etc on boost and we find 95 or even 91 in the tank because it was cheaper. This fuel grade clusse is in our contract but still gets ignored. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

That really sucks man. I’ve just had my engine rebuilt after a similar experience. There’s a few second had engines on trademe but what’s the history of it going to be like? I nearly put a second hand engine in mine but opted for a new shortblock. Similar dollars (not including rebuilt heads, gaskets, seals etc) but you start with basically a new engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• Admin

Yea it's the way to do it on a budget. Pistons are the primary weak point so you can swap in some factory clearanced aftermarket ones which are matched to the particular grade of your block, so no machining is needed at all.

Factory clearances and general build quality is apparently quite good for moderate to high power and will generally have have higher quality parts than most cheapo trademe rebuild options you see around. Factory bearings are far better than most aftermarket options for a start.

This is what I've got in the block sitting at DTech waiting for gaskets so it can get finished up. 

I wouldn't try to tune a stock vehicle, and that is the risk of dyno tuning.

If they built your motor and setup, and they then blow it up it is a different story.

Consumer Guarantees Act covers new products, and I am pretty sure that trying to modify a stock vehicle from standard would void it.

16 hours ago, Bobby said:

I wouldn't try to tune a stock vehicle, and that is the risk of dyno tuning.

If they built your motor and setup, and they then blow it up it is a different story.

Consumer Guarantees Act covers new products, and I am pretty sure that trying to modify a stock vehicle from standard would void it.

I mentioned the act in regards to providing services, not in regards to selling a product. The same basic principles around  selling a product that’s fit for purpose etc applies to a business providing a “service”.

That could a tradesman building a “new” deck or someone removing your “old” house for transport. If they f*** it up and it’s because of negligence then they haven’t provided a fair or expected level of service.

Automotive example, a mechanic charges you $1000 to fix your car. You drive home and 5minutes down the road you discover it’s got the same fault. He’s charged you $1000 to replace the wrong part and you still need to fix the problem.

Easier scenario, car shop strips / cross threads your lug nuts putting your wheels back on. In my case I made the shop replace my studs because they over tightened them

Edited by Omsin

• Joker changed the title to WTB : 2.5L wrx engine

Frankly though, there are too many variables, and It would definitely be difficult getting their tuners to repair or replace a motor after blowing it up.

Especially if they did not build that motor themselves or know the complete history of the vehicle.

The vehicle was was originally fit for purpose, so a dyno tune is to make it more reliable? but if you are adding more timing, more fuel and more boost it has deviated from its original purpose and specification.

This dyno tune was not intended to repair or fix a faulty vehicle.

I'd just add that Soichi at ST-Hitec hated tuning cars built at other workshops, again because he didn't build it. He hated getting blamed when cars came unprepared or failed, because of poor workmanship or conditions.

My own car was road-tuned, and then serviced and checked all over. before going on the dyno. In the end we only needed 2hours dyno time. 

Edited by Bobby
  • Like 1