Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

2003 BL5 factory security

Had this question on another thread, but figured this was a better place to ask. Someone from Winger Subaru was trying to sell me a 2003 Legacy GT with the new body. It was NZ New, and he was saying that the factory security in these NZ New cars are supposedly really good. He said something like "the reason a lot of Subaru cars get stolen is because the imported cars require aftermarket alarm systems."

Are the factory security really that good for these NZ New cars that you would rather use those than replace them with something like AVS S5?

MAD said:

no, mate had his stolen 2 weeks ago.. factory security..

What was it, and how was it taken?

Basically the security system checks the key transponder against the data stored in the engine ECU, the body control ECU and the dash cluster to allow the engine to start. Any system can be gotten past. This is no different. However the thief will need a matched set of all the above with the key and have the key coded to the ignition barrel. Not the easiest job.

Throwing it on a tow truck is much easier.

boostin said:

Basically the security system checks the key transponder against the data stored in the engine ECU, the body control ECU and the dash cluster to allow the engine to start. Any system can be gotten past. This is no different. However the thief will need a matched set of all the above with the key and have the key coded to the ignition barrel. Not the easiest job.

Do you think it's better than aftermarket security system (ie AVS S5)?

I'm getting a tilt sensor on mine, which I'm hoping helps with the tow-truck issue.

Yeah definitely. Much harder to bypass a factory system. With any aftermarket system its just a matter of matching up the coloured wires. It might take an hour or so but it can be relatively easy to do.

There are aftermarket add-on systems to add tilt and shock sensors to the factory system, and it all still works off the factory key remote.

Ah, icic. Couple more questions:

- Do you know if ALL NZ New models (BL5) come with that factory security?

- Is it possible to purchase/install factory security onto an imported BL5 car?

NZ new turbo BL5 are actually built in Japan but brought here as NZ new. There is no such thing as a NZ built car any more. I'm not 100% sure, but yeah, I think all NZ new have the security system fitted.

I guess you could retro fit a factory system, but it would be bloody expensive. You would need a new key ($400ish each), new engine ECU and a body control ECU (a couple of grand each from memory), and a dash cluster (I have no idea what these are worth). The cluster would then need resetting to the old odometer reading which is around $300 to do.

Best to pick one with a factory system already installed.

LOL, wow. Okay, yeah, I'll probably stick to AVS and just make sure that I don't park anywhere where a guy can fiddle around for an hour with the security system. Mainly it'll be parked in open shopping centers bustling with people, so I'm hopeful that it won't get stolen. I'm going all out with security measures because everyone around me is telling me not to get a Subaru because it'll get stolen. At this point I'm getting one because I hate the idea that I wouldn't get one just because of thieves, it's driving me crazy. My in-laws better not ever get the last laugh, lol.

I wouldn't worry about it. I lived in Auckland for seven years and had an old GTB parked out on the street in Freeman's Bay for most of those. As far as I could tell the only security on it was a flashing red led light on the dash. It never got nicked, and I even went away for a summer holiday in Ranfurly for a month one year only to return and find I had left it unlocked. Any car can be stolen, doesn't mean it will be, and if your luck runs out there is nothing you can do about it anyway. Just get a good insurance policy.

boostin']

[quote name='MAD said:

no, mate had his stolen 2 weeks ago.. factory security..

/quote]

What was it, and how was it taken?

Subaru Legacy WAGON GT 2003-4

unsure how it was taken as it's not been found yet, police doubt if it ever will be found after 2 weeks. Insured though, taken from car park in central Auckland near the bus terminal.

we were surprised, he's own it only 4-5 months, dam nice car, full leather trim. He was guttered.

-----------------------------------------

for peace of mind just get a GPS unit like verifind, that what I have in my car.. some fools stole that a while ago, it was an epic FAIL on there part.

http://www.verifind.co.nz/

• 1 year later...

OOps, did a search but didnt see this thread. started a new one in ICE section http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,21028.0.html

Basically got told the same thing (albeit 2 years after first post here) but am looking at adding things on to the factory system rather than replacing. I guess I'll give AVS a call and see if they have anything like that as it sounds as if the facotry immobilser is ok for insurance and better than aftermarkets in anycase...

ok so you're not in Wellys but anyway check out this site http://www.vehiclesecurity.co.nz/aboutus.php

Also his site has lots of good information about car security and specific alarm brands and OEM security. This one here is about subaru NZ's OEM system http://vehiclesecurity.co.nz/blog/category/subaru

I contacted the guy and he seemed to know plenty about add-on security systems for NZ new subarus. In particular almost all add-on systems apparently rely on being triggered by the central locking system and therefore are disabled by simply unlocking the door...

Our NZ new BP GT has the OEM system - immobiliser, data dots and a basic "doors" siren set by the central locking and utilising the horn as a siren. So if someone opens a door it blasts the horn. Pretty basic although as noted the immobiliser is probably pretty deeply integrated. I guess the datadots just make it harder for thieves to sell off parts after breaking your car although I would love to know if it's really that much of a deterrent in reality.