Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

The Single Turbo Conversion Thread 2.0

ReubenH

Guest hate-evoz
 Trends Car Audio & Alarms - Mattapo said:

td04 sucks ass

Disagree. Tdo4 is a great turbo. Does the job for a small turbo. Ideal for short-bursts off the mark.

• 6 months later...

hay people am mid way trough this I\'ve got a bd5 with the ej20h being swaped out for a closed deck 20g have the 20g ecu and will re pin (DONT WORRY I HAVE A MAP3 ECU SO I CAN TUNE IT AN DICH THE MAF ) what i would like to know is who has had a look at the 20h crank and rods

i know the 20h piston is not AZ heavy and has a shorter skirt but which are the stronger crank and rods i cant find any info on them are thay both forged are the 20h ones not AZ heavy or somehow stronger please let me know so i can chose the best one for my motor

id like to use the 20h piston and by Saturday i will have all parts side by side so we will know by then i am liking the idea of building a cool

little motor that is a little diffrent then tuning the poo out of it to c how it goes

any help or ideas are much appreciated :)

thanks in advance

oh and was there a person that did the bd5 re pin the the BC5 ecu any issues i need to know about i have the colored

pinouts an will b spendint the next week or so on the shed floor repining the the denso connectors to take the hopeless 20g ecu :(

been awhile since ive done thee TT block to ST conversion and im abit hazy on the holes i need to block up

5os4rs.jpg

The pic above i block with a bolt dont i?

2czof3a.jpg

and this one how do i block it ive pulled the pipe out and its just a hole i cant remeber how i blocked it last time.

That hole in the top pick, with arrow pointing to it, is the Water Return from Turbo. Bottom hole is Oil Return. Top hole is Oil Feed.

Block all holes on Left Bank Head/Primary Side. Primary Oil Feed, is Front of Left Head, behind Cam Cover.

Bottom pic is showing the Left/Primary Oil Return.

tydon said:

and this one how do i block it ive pulled the pipe out and its just a hole i cant remeber how i blocked it last time.

I think RuebenH used a frost plug to start with. But says to get a Plug of any Non-Turbo Left Head.

Looking at my heads on table, the Bung from a Single T Head would tap out easy if the Head is off.

tydon said:

yeha just figured that lol got the front one behind cam blocked and got the secondary side blocked just got block off the oil drain on the secondary side and thats it lol

Are you converting to Non-Turbo. :)

Wont you be needing the Secondary/Right Oil drain for the Turbo?

• 3 years later...

Hi Guys i was hoping that some one might be able to help me out with my conversion.

i have a 97 BG5 that ive recently converted to single turbo following this guide.

all the parts i used came from a 97 forester retaining the Ej20r and just using manifolds and what not from the forester.

I have a version 4 "75" ecu also running the single coil pack on the intake manifold.

I've wired the ecu and igniter as per this guide and i have no spark. ive tested the coil pack using a multi meter and that all seems fine.

my understanding of the wiring is 

at the Ecu A9 is wired in to A10

A22 and 23 are wired in to A9 

B18 is ground.

the igniter is ground 

red and blue wires to the coil pack

and the 2 triggers to what A9 and A10 respectively

the car cranks but has no spark.

12v power is at the coil

have i misunderstood the wiring from this guide?

if anyone could shed some light on this it would be much appreciated   

I'm aware how old this forum post is so i may not get a reply.

Thanks in advance 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Im new to this forum but I have had a BG5a Legacy GT for a while now and am contemplating a tingle turbo swap. Im all good with the mechanical stuff but the wiring sounds like the hardest part, particularly because i have the four plug ECU and it sounds like I should change to a three plug. Given the the four plug to four plug swap sounds a lot easier would it be possible or advisable to go for something like a Link G4 WRX V1/2 plug in ecu? It says it plugs straight into the four plug loom and then I wouldn't be limited by the factory ecu. I know it would be dearer but it it might save me a lot of time and heart ache in the end. Has anyone on here gone that way?

Cheers

Josh

http://dealers.linkecu.com/WRX2Plus

• Like 2

I think you are making the right call to go to the link.

My conversions have been on a be5a with a wrx a7 ecu and my current be5d with a v3/4 plugin link, and although the wrx ecu went well, the link is a lot more flexible. This is particularly so compared to the early jecs ECU's.

If you go to pick a part you could probably find a 4 plug ecu and a set of '3 plugs' and make an adapter on your bench which makes it heaps easier than trying to work in the footwell, this can help if you find a bargain on a plugin for a different model.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for that. It's all just ideas at this point as my TT is really nice to drive although VOD is very annoying and it is pretty slow. If it blows up or rod knocks which I'm sure will happen at some point I would lay it up and do the conversion.

Cheers

Josh

Ok, so I bought myself a 99 WRX for very cheap today that I plan to use everything to do the conversion on my BG5a. I was sure this was the model to get but now I realize that this is a version 5/6, not the 3/4 that I am told that I need. I didn't get to look at the ECU to see how many plugs it has. The only thing that twigged me that it was different to what I need is that it doesn't run the old style large (coloured label) AFM that the is talked about on here, it uses the modern one that just bolts into the pipe. I had bought this as a whole car as I thought a whole loom swap might be the go, but how compatible is it going to be with my BG5? And if I do do a full loom swap and drive train swap what wont the new loom talk to in the BG5? I thought I had bought the right car to do this the least painful way but now I feel a bit bummed out. I can use heaps of the parts off this car and all the single turbo stuff but I thought this would be all I needed to buy.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, if anyone is on here. I have decided not to use this 99 WRX as a donor as a loom merge is going to be too much and I think too likely to have issues. So I will wreck or sell on that car and am looking to go the way of the four plug ECU with a view to later on using a link. What I would like to know is why can't I just use my BG5a TT inle manifold? It looks to have the same IAC valve and throttle body, grey injectors like the WRX, same shape and size MAF and I have heard I can use the loom from it. So what, if anything is stopping me using it?

Cheers, I'm hoping someone can answer me.

• 9 months later...
On 18/02/2009 at 3:07 AM, ReubenH said:

5.1 ECU.

The reason i said in the beginning, that this thread was for EJ20R legacy's only, is mainly because of this; the ECU wiring. You need only solder 4 wires, and you're done! Auto's have a single plug ECU that isn't compatible with any STi ECU, so you're buggered there. My official line on it is you should have got a bloody manual you pansy! Ha ha ;D (Just kidding, auto's are great.. i really mean it ::)) I am also unsure on the ECU's for the Manual EJ20H drivers... And BH/BE drivers. But what i have found out is the 4-plug EJ20H's are somewhat compatible with the 4Plug EJ20G's. I have posted a pinout for you guy's at the bottom of this thread. BE/BH drivers, V5/6 STi ECU's for the EJ208's, i have not seen pinouts for either, so up to you to research that one. But it has been done!

Anyway, the wiring for EJ20R drivers:

Wire A9 (loom) into A10 (ECU). Wire A22 and A23 (loom) into A9 (ECU). Ground B18 (ECU).

Swap A19 with A3 <- makes V3/4 ECU talk to the correct boost control solenoid.

And the not so technical drawing of the above description for us simple minded folk.

conversion18-new.jpg

It's that easy.

If you compare the links below, you'll quickly find out V3's and 4's Just use a EJ20R loom! All the TT bits are blanks on the V3/4 ECU's.

here's some documents to back everything up

V3/4, Plug B137. Courtesy of http://www.northursalia.com/

V3/4, Plug B136 and B135. Courtesy of http://www.northursalia.com/

Twin turbo 3 plug pinout. Courtesy of UK Twin Turbo Legacy Register

5.2 Coil Pack Mod.

Hokay, quick addition to the conversion how too. I've been asked to do a write up on the coil pack mod, to rid ones self of the coil on plug system, and go to the sexy, cheap, and reliable coil pack system.

Eaaasssyyyy. You will need a Coil pack and leads off any Version 3 or 4 impreza, or N/A BG/BD. A matching 5 pin ignitor, and some additional wires and some actual loom stuff. Refer to the pictures to see what these look like!

For the wiring, I just spliced into the engine loom to get my power and ground, and 2 ignition signals. For the power, I think I just stole the 12v supply that goes to the coil packs, makes enough sense. And for the ground, there's a general ground wire you can tap into. Again, the pictures show which wires I used clearly. Then from there I just made a new branch off from the loom with some wires I had lying around, dedicated to the coil pack and ignitor. It's very strait forward! I think i'll let the pics and wiring diagram do the rest of the work for me.

Coilpack1.jpg

Coilpack2.jpg

Coilpack3.jpg

Coilpack4.jpg

Coilpack5.jpgfor the ecu I have twin turbo wire loom and twin turbo ecu, if I’m putting single turbo ecu which wires need to be change please help thanks 

• 2 months later...

Hi guys

i have an ej20R I convert it to a single turbo 

the problem is that I don’t know which ecu I need .. I know I need for v3/4 sti but I don’t know the code or the part number 

I bought one and it was for earlier model with the AVCS ,, any help thanks