Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Sub box design

Guest boostin

Guest boostin

I want to build a new sub box as I think the current box is strangling my sub. I've got a Pioneer DVC sub (can't remember the model number atm) running in an off-the-shelf no name sealed box. The sub is deep enough that it almost touches the back wall of the box. It sounds ok, but at higher volumes it starts to rattle. I used to have an identical sub in a custom ported box and it sounded f'n awesome, but some bastard decided they wanted it more and pinched it. It was real solid too, 19mm MDF except the front panel which was 24mm.

So anyway I want to build a new box, but one that fits across behind the rear seat and under the strut brace. Does anyone know all the formulas for working out the ideal box dimensions and port diameter?

Guest boostin

Do it as in build the box?? I got no problem doing it myself, I just want to work out the perfect dimensions.

Actually, I think I did register an account there a while back. I wonder if its still active....

Guest lan_killa

whats the model number on the sub? pioneer will list the ideal box size/shape for the sub in the instruction manual and weather or not to port the box etc

Guest boostin

I'll have to pull the sub out and check. I think its something like a DVC 306.

As I say, it was in a ported box and sounded twice as good. It would rattle windows in buildings nearby. At the mo it barely rattles the back rego plate!!

Guest lan_killa

See this

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_11221/199784721TRD1247-A_US.pdf

I think you have a TS-W306DVC

Gives Min/Max/Recommended Box Volumes and Port Sizes, for Sealed, Ported and Bandpass enclosures

Also shows the graphs for the boxs

Sealed is a good all rounder and works accross a wide range of freq's

Ported doesnt do so well at real low freq's but will have a bit more go @ 50hz and above than the sealed

Bandpass works best at low freq's but by 100hz its lost all its go....

I personally set my low pass filter to 75-80hz dependant on what the head unit will allow, and if your up for the challenge give the bandpass a crack, will give some good results for the rattle the shit out of everything "wank factor".... also means foreign object wont damage your sub

Guest boostin

I think half the problem is that its a generic box and is way too small for the sub. Its running off a 4 channel 800w RMS amp, bridged to 2 channels, and each of those channels runs 1 coil.

A bandpass box will be way too big. I do tend to cart the odd thing around with the wagon so it would be nice to have some space. I'll bust out the power drill tomorrow and whip the sub out to check the model number. TS-W306DVC does sound right though.

So from that I'm looking at a 50 litre box with a 3" diameter 6" long port. I say 50 litres as the ideal is 46.7 litres and the sub has a 3.3 litre displacement. So I need to work out the angle of the back seat, calculate the volume of the triangle, then add a cube to take it up to the 50 litres. Is 19mm MDF the best size to work with??

Guest lan_killa

i feel mdf can be a bit soft, but it will do... chip board or ply can sometimes be a better pick.... the specs on the pdf are inclusive of sub displacement....

also remember to put the padding inside the box

Guest boostin

Lol, it pays to read the whole thing. They recommend 3/4" MDF and volume includes speaker displacement. Time to bust out those school skills from 15 years ago and find the formula for the area of a triangle. 1/2 height x base??

Guest boostin
 chrisjunkie said:

My volume forumula is going to be harder... I am making a custom fibre glass enclosure to fit in the right hand pocket in the boot :o ;D

A mate of mine just made one like this for his Citroen. He measured the volume by pouring polystyrene balls into it. Its got a 10" sub with a 19mm MDF front. Looks and sounds awesome!!

Guest boostin

Yeah it looks awesome. He left the front open, then cut a piece of MDF to suit, and reglassed the whole thing inside and out to hold the MDF on. The sub is recessed into the front on a second MDF ring. Then he got some carpet matched by Retro and covered it with that. Its so good it almost looks factory.

Hi,

Heres an interesting site=http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/index.htm

Theres also a few programs out there for designing sub boxs round or square or rectangle to triangle.

1 called BassBox Pro which i think you have to pay for there might be a trial version not sure of limitations tho.

2nd which is freeware but could only do sqaure and rectangle last time i used it might be able to do more now since i made my sub probably 7 years ago with is called 'Winisd sub box designer' http://www.linearteam.dk/

• 1 year later...