Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Fitting of speedo correction kits in WLG - prob cheaper than speedo calibration

spark_38

As we all know, Subaru Impreza WRX/STI all have that notorious 10% speedo error in the cluster itself (usually read under), fitting the Jaycar speedo correction kit is probably cheaper than sending speedo cluster away for calibration

I have done another thread on this:

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,7062.0.html

The kit itself is $65 from jaycar, $6 for the plastic case... I am more than prepared to supply and fit these at a reasonable cost (those from welli whose cars i've worked on know how reasonable i can be...)

Only Ver 4-6 WRX with the electronic speedo can be corrected, cannot be used on older cable driven units - Ver 7/8 onwards don't seem to have such an excessive error, some are almost spot on

Pictured below is the one currently used in my car to remove the 10% error

Jaycarspeedocorrector.jpg

Guest boostin

Nice work.

I think V8 on use an average of the wheel speed sensors as vehicle speed. There's no speed sensor in the gearbox.

T.Rev said:

Does it affect the Apexi speed meter delimter?

Do u guarantee no tickets..I dont mont everyone pasing me at the moment cos Im under the radar.

if you dont speed you wont get a ticket :P

-smurff

smurff']

[quote name='T.Rev said:

Do u guarantee no tickets..I dont mont everyone pasing me at the moment cos Im under the radar.

/quote]

-smurff

yea thats easier said than done doh ::)

especially when your boostn the subbie :D

I don't think it should affect the speed limiter at the RSM; the speed wire at the ECU end is actually from the speed out on the speedo cluster to a speed input on the ECU.

The actual unit itself is quite easy to wire up; 4 wires: ignition power, ground, 2 speed wires

It maybe possible to have a few units all soldered up ready for fitting at MM depending on the interest, it's about an hour or so to put the kit together and about 15 or so minutes to fit into car and setup (given a subaru wrx, v4-6, others make take longer...)

Do you think you could do a install run down with pics for the rest of us Sparky? Good cheap mod and paramount for safety.

Id be very very keen to fit one to mine. The calibration on mine is shite. 91km/h at 100k and 55km/h at 60.

Bloody annoying when dare i say it, my missus drives it.

smurff']

[quote name='T.Rev said:

/quote]

-smurff

My post wasnt an advert for speeding..it was more "Id rather know Im under than be accurate...so is accuracy a given rather than being over"...and it was tongue in cheek....It would be good to be more accurate as my wife keeps saying Im driving to slow when we convoy.

[edit quote fix]

I am looking at the instructions now.

KC5435: Kit - Speedo corrector MK2 12/06

In bold on first page of instructions:

"The speedo corrector Mk2 project requires an electronic speedo.

It does not work with cable operated speedos"

Electronic speedos work with an incoming frequency/clock cycle from the speed sensor.... this kit interrupts the signal and alters the frequency before it enters the speedo cluster - hence it won't work on direct cable drive systems

spark_38 said:

Electronic speedos work with an incoming frequency/clock cycle from the speed sensor.... this kit interrupts the signal and alters the frequency before it enters the speedo cluster - hence it won't work on direct cable drive systems

Can you do a pic by pic install for us mate? Im keen on getting this kit.

spark_38 said:

yes i understand, i was talking modifying it to incorporate a secondary display, like a pivot, taking the signal from the cluster. its doable but requires a reasonable amount of work.

btw paid members can buy this kit through me at discounted rate of $59.50 with free shipping.

True, prob not worth the hassle, cheaper to either get a cheap entry GPS unit like Uniden/Garmin for $150 ish, and set to display speeedometer mode... or get speedo calibrated

Did not manage to take photos during the install - however may consider pulling out and taking pics, if we do get a nice summer day.....the last few have been crap