Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

CV's or Diff Clicking / tyres slipping

Ive got a 2001 Legacy B4 and sometimes but not always has a clicking sound coming from the front (i think) and the tyres seem to slip. Does this sound like the CV's or the Diff? God i hope its the CV's

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry i didnt realise anyone had replied, it does it when the car is warm and when the steering wheel is being turned or held at any angle that isnt going in a strait line. Im going to take it in to Subaru in Palmy as im pretty sure its going to jam shortly if i dont, it does sound expensive though :(

Guest boostin
 camrhodes']

[quote name='dubbedup said:

i'd be hoping its Cv's too ....

/quote]

lol

I wish i was Lol ing :(

Technically you just did!! ;D

Lol

Don't take it to a SUBARU workshop (unless you have just won lotto), take it to a REAL mechanic.... Try Simon at Automotive design in Grey ST (around 130ish Grey st), he's trained on Subaru's and does excellent work (resonable rates too).

If your tyres are slipping, then it's probably your diff (changed any fluids recently?), CV's wouldnt do this, they just make clicking noises...

funkytown']

[quote name='al said:

Could also be centre diff not releasing when turning corners. There is a solenoid that sometimes doesn't activate there.

/quote]

does it release on a B4 when turning? or any subbie with out dccd?

I would say any subbie with viscous centre diff

DPI said:

Don't take it to a SUBARU workshop (unless you have just won lotto), take it to a REAL mechanic.... Try Simon at Automotive design in Grey ST (around 130ish Grey st), he's trained on Subaru's and does excellent work (resonable rates too).

If your tyres are slipping, then it's probably your diff (changed any fluids recently?), CV's wouldnt do this, they just make clicking noises...

You were correct in determining it was the diff i took it in to automotive design and they gave me a fair quote ( i also took it into palmfield and got quoted for a new car almost) its getting fixed over the next few days. In regard to changing any fluids no i hadnt but it had actualy made the noise since i owned it but only lightly so changing the fluids wouldnt have helped in my situation the previous owner obviously had never changed them either, ive had a WRX before but was unaware to tell you the truth that you needed to change the fluid in the diff i thought they were a sealed unit (ignorance costs money).

thanks everyone by the way :)

• 4 weeks later...

thats weird i posted a thread on here earlier this year with the same prob!! still havent had it sorted!

what did it end up being exactly and what sort of $$?

it cost $1500, it was the viscous LSD in the transfer case but aparently it can be caused by alot of different faults all costing similar amounts in the center diff region. (i got quoted $3200 by subaru to do the same job so dont go there!!!) but in their defence it was for all new parts most of which didnt actualy need replacing.

If you are still having the problem i do recomend getting it fixed it has caused my tires to be shreded randomly due to the driveshafts locking up sounds and feels terible (just before i got it fixed i could feel them locking at 100kph which was quite scary to say the least)

Guest boostin

A new centre diff is $1250 +GST. And a centre diff fault is only noticeable in corners. It won't do anything in a straight line.

Actually, the circlip on the rear of it has a habit of popping off. That can cause some strange noises.

well that could explain why my last set of front tyres had loads of tread but were splitting all through the inside?

gahhh im kinda a bit broke to spent that amount! im still paying off the last repairs dammmmmmmmmmm! anything else it could possibly be? I need a little hope..../lol

One other thing, i have no idea whether it could be related, but both rear diff mounts are scrrrreeeewwwweeedd!

AND both front (inner?) CV's are stuffed! The mechanic charged me for replacing them and whatdoya know, hes ripped me off and they are old as and knackered!

• 2 weeks later...

crap, i had the center diff on my 2001 BH fixed last year in November.

It is viscous and is a sealed unit.

I brought a second hand one off a guy on TM that owns a gearbox/diff shop. He fully tested it first i.e. heated in an oven then run up on a lathe (or what ever they do)

Well its doing the same thing again, (binding up on turns after a long run i.e. only binds when real hot) the second hand one cost me about $500 fitted :-\

So who can get me a brand new one at cost price?? :D if anyone cud that wud be sweet!

Friggen cars ay!!

Guest boostin

They're not a sealed unit. I've had a few apart now. I've got one here that I've stripped down, cleaned and reassembled.

boostin said:

They're not a sealed unit. I've had a few apart now. I've got one here that I've stripped down, cleaned and reassembled.

um, well when i first started looking at getting it fixed, everyone i spoke to said they are a sealed unit and that its the seals that get crook in them letting in gearbox oil disrupting the operation of the diff.

Does that sound right? if so have you replaced the seals in them before?

Guest boostin

Well they're lubed with gearbox oil. I had a chat with one of the tech guys at Subaru NZ about it. I think the seals are there to hold a bit of oil in them. They're real easy to pull apart too.

boostin said:

Well they're lubed with gearbox oil. I had a chat with one of the tech guys at Subaru NZ about it. I think the seals are there to hold a bit of oil in them. They're real easy to pull apart too.

interesting, i hope we are talking about the same kind of center diffs

Guest boostin
 gazzy2000']

[quote name='boostin said:

Standard old BE/BH manual box??

/quote]

yesum

so what do you actually repair in side them then?

I just clean all the sticky gunk out of them and reassemble it.