Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

11 minutes ago, Leufkax said:

Changed a seabelt, which involved pulling the mechanism apart on the replacement cos it got retracted fully, stuck and wouldn't unroll. What a pain in the ass

If you have a seat belt out of the car often they won't unwind unless you position it upright at the same angle it would be in the car. I believe this is so that in a rollover you don't fall down to the roof after the vehicle stops.

40 minutes ago, IZichard said:

If you have a seat belt out of the car often they won't unwind unless you position it upright at the same angle it would be in the car. I believe this is so that in a rollover you don't fall down to the roof after the vehicle stops.

You'd be right on that count, there's a ball bearing that acts on an arm which locks it, same thing that causes it to lock if you yank on it quickly. This one wasn't unspooling no matter what I did so I had to open it up and remove the bearing and the arm it acted on.

• Like 1

• Admin

Well, Sunday with @Furze and @Subirex Automotive We towed the RA back up to auckland thanks to Tony Bowman that runs playday, who lent me his trailer. 

Unfortunately it seems something electrical may have caused an issue and has either leaned out / borewashed Cyl #2 and I now have no compression on that Cylinder with lots of smoke. Thankfully the motor didn't knock or make any funny noises other than running on three so maybe not all is lost.

Apparently my link believes my car has visited 10515rpm (not a typo). 

So back to the drawing board and this will have to be investigated and issue found so it won't happen again.

just btw, the Max ECT (engine coolant temp) happened over a month ago when we had a cooling issue, fixed it,  checked everything and it was fine, has been running strong.

SOQxNvA.png

• Like 2

• Admin
Just now, pedro said:

Max IAT 74 ...Seems very high..

Should be 10-15 above ambient unless heat soaked..

That would've been during traffic sitting stopped in the sun. Those stats are from the entire time the car's been run. So max heatsoak haha.

• Admin
5 minutes ago, gotasuby said:

Often I see very high rpm in link statistics usually caused by cranking speeds and nothing to worry about it. Was ecu logging at the time? 

Unfortunately the ECU wasn't actively logging at the time no. Was just out for a drive in the morning for Coffee. 

I'd have thought it was a random glitch too, except for it was forcing a Rev cut my way when it happened originally. Which is something I think I've got logs of.

Finally got me some wheels , work xsa 02c .. fitting tomorrow. The tyres were lower profile than advertised but didn't notice it when picking up , 215/35/18 so haven't lost any arch gap moving from the 17s with 215/45/17 , seems a bit of a stretch fit hope I'll be right ! 

ucKbown.jpg

• Like 1

So my last three weekends have been hectic to say the least but the weekend before Easter, Me and the missus drove down from Auckland to Christchurch in a recently purchased 2008 Forester 2.5T auto while towing a 6m fibreglass boat, on a boat trailer I prepared with new brakes and a wof two days before the journey

(the boat and trailer were flawless...).

I have done this drive a few times now and I quite like the drive (except for the additional 3 hours coming down the west coast of the south island after a long ferry ride!) but this trip had to be different.

The Subaru Forester had run a big end previously and had a fresh rebuild put in approximately 6-12 months ago along with all the paper work from the garage, the car also had an AA check just prior to the sale provided by the previous owner. I thought I had done my due diligence on the car. I had driven the car around (without towing) for the previous couple of days without noticing any issues, but a couple of hours into the trip south while towing, when the hills approached, the cars overheat lamp started flashing (SH Foresters don't have temperature gauges). I cranked the heater up to try manage the temp and got to Waiouru before calling it and getting a tow. I had multiple deadlines I was trying to hit and hence why I pushed it this far and didn't stop earlier.

We got into Wellington at 11pm on a Sunday night and got the car and boat parked up at our booked Hotel and got some sleep after a long crappy day.

I rang Ray Hartley Motors at around 7am Monday and managed to get a hold of Ray who said I could bring the car by for him to have a look at after telling him my story and letting me know he was fully booked. He didn't have to see me and I much appreciated his time, as even on the phone he had already correctly diagnosed the problem.

Turns out the radiator was 70% blocked and hence why I was having overheating problems.

I'd like to publicly say a big thank you to Ray Hartley for squeezing me in and helping me get on my way again after a very stressful previous day. He has been recommended on here previously and I'd just like to give another recommendation for his work and professionalism.

• Like 9

Following running my airbox without the front and loving the sound of the turbo spooling I went ahead and ordered some sort of air filter thingy for my 2016 STi, cost a pretty penny ($380) and am yet to pay for shipping from the US (Using NZ Post's YouPost) but I'll post photos once installed. Photo posted now is one of the intake installed fron Google Images.

88ce4d89b7a8be0eafc1c6004218fab4.png
ff0e69e2713636fa08f0288612ace0bd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Batbaruman said:

Finally got me some wheels , work xsa 02c .. fitting tomorrow. The tyres were lower profile than advertised but didn't notice it when picking up , 215/35/18 so haven't lost any arch gap moving from the 17s with 215/45/17 , seems a bit of a stretch fit hope I'll be right ! 

Nice! Been eyeballing them too but they're just too skinny for the 5th gen :/ 

225/40/18 is very close to 215/45/17, much more comfier than 215/35 too!

.... and I just picked these up :) Guess I am done in that department for now... 

33896824380_1b2edb80db_b.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Andy_Mac said:

Solid. Pretty damn perfect fitment. Really need to roll my fenders so I can pull the camber back a bit and get a tighter fit.

Kiwami's I guess since they have centre caps?

Yeah pretty happy with the fitment and definitely wouldn't want to go wider/lower offset, not a huge fan of guard rolling. 45/235 tyres help with the fitment too.

Kiwami, that's right :)

• Admin
4 minutes ago, sobanoodle said:

Finally done, took me a while.

Before:

After:

Ended up sanding all the silver off the panels down to bare plastic, polishing and covering with many layers of semi-gloss clear. Then wet sand, polish etc

That really looks amazing man. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sobanoodle said:

Finally done, took me a while.

Before:

34181618491_f731fbc196_b.jpg

After:

34181618941_f5e77ee712_b.jpg

Ended up sanding all the silver off the panels down to bare plastic, polishing and covering with many layers of semi-gloss clear. Then wet sand, polish etc

Wait, are the buttons black too??