Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

• Admin
7 hours ago, Conducks said:

Installed K&N Typhoon intake, $400NZD inc shipping out of the States rather than $700 from an NZ outfit f5947796e7f7ae1b904e6bcc2e442a5b.jpg

You planning on getting a tune to go with that? Or atleast doing some logging to ensure the MAF scaling still works with that kit?

• Like 1

You planning on getting a tune to go with that? Or atleast doing some logging to ensure the MAF scaling still works with that kit?

Nah not tuning for it to keep warranty, the car isn't running any different, pops and bangs just as much as before and goes as good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• Admin

Not trying to be a dick or anything but surely from a warranty standpoint they won't see a tune as any more warranty breaching than the other mods. Plus chances are the typical technician wouldn't have a clue that the ROM on the ECU is anything other than stock. 

Intakes are one of those things suggested not to be done without knowing for certain the new tube reads the same as the stock one. Very easy to go outside the ECU's adjustment range without feeling there's an issue.

• Like 5

Not trying to be a dick or anything but surely from a warranty standpoint they won't see a tune as any more warranty breaching than the other mods. Plus chances are the typical technician wouldn't have a clue that the ROM on the ECU is anything other than stock. 

Intakes are one of those things suggested not to be done without knowing for certain the new tube reads the same as the stock one. Very easy to go outside the ECU's adjustment range without feeling there's an issue.

I understand, I've read all about intakes and needing tunes. K&N website says tune isn't required but you should still tune. With the latest generation ECU's they can tell your top speed, revs, g forces etc. When I took my CVT WRX in to claim warranty on the transmission blowing up they sent a image of the ECU to Subaru Japan, they sent back my top speed of 240kmh and max revs of the vehicle's redline. They also made note that my car had semislick tire's (Same as the ones I have on my STi) and voided warranty because Subaru Japan determined that I tracked the vehicle.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Conducks said:

top speed of 240kmh and max revs of the vehicle's redline. They also made note that my car had semislick tire's

Why people do this while under warranty and expect it to be covered is stupid. On the other hand if you got that much money then just do what ever you want to it who cares if it blows up just buy a new car

14 hours ago, Conducks said:

Nah not tuning for it to keep warranty, the car isn't running any different, pops and bangs just as much as before and goes as good

if the car isn't running any different why get it ?

oh right, i forgot your raison detre - 'cos it looks cool

how many jdm points ?

xD

belated congrats on blowing up your cvt !

Edited by newsuba
  • Like 4

if the car isn't running any different why get it ?
oh right, i forgot your raison detre - 'cos it looks cool
how many jdm points ?

belated congrats on blowing up your cvt !

I got it cause the sssshhhhhppoooool sounds great. And yeah 2015 WRX 20,000km and the CVT started slipping like crazy. Sold it back to the dealership and then Subaru denied the dealership warranty claim.

Why people do this while under warranty and expect it to be covered is stupid. On the other hand if you got that much money then just do what ever you want to it who cares if it blows up just buy a new car

My mum's M5 and dad's 911 are covered under warranty on racetrack... The whole idea of a warranty is if it breaks they fix it. You fork out 65k for a new car it's only right for them to correct any issues you have with it. You can't tell me you're meant to nana a STi sports car which are "Track ready" according to Subaru.

14 hours ago, Conducks said:

I understand, I've read all about intakes and needing tunes. K&N website says tune isn't required but you should still tune. With the latest generation ECU's they can tell your top speed, revs, g forces etc. When I took my CVT WRX in to claim warranty on the transmission blowing up they sent a image of the ECU to Subaru Japan, they sent back my top speed of 240kmh and max revs of the vehicle's redline. They also made note that my car had semislick tire's (Same as the ones I have on my STi) and voided warranty because Subaru Japan determined that I tracked the vehicle.

how long do you have remaining on warranty period and do you think it's still likely that you'll be able to use it given any of your other mods? i think after a point you may as well stop sitting on the fence and fully enjoy your car as it kinda seems like you've crossed the 'stock' line already anyway?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Conducks said:

You can't tell me you're meant to nana a STi sports car which are "Track ready" according to Subaru

They can say what ever they want in their warranty that's the whole terms and conditions they set out. If they say certain things are not covered then they wont be.

EG as per Subaru NZ website

What Is Not Covered

Wear and tear caused by use of the vehicle for racing, rallying, speed trailing, hill climbing or similar activities or competitive events.

so don't expect it to be covered.

Anyways it is sweet to see someone modifying a new car as most wont, would be sweet to see how it goes on the track and just how much power it puts down in its current state on the dyno

On what race track can a cvt wrx hit 240 kph?

Private road ones

They can say what ever they want in their warranty that's the whole terms and conditions they set out. If they say certain things are not covered then they wont be.
EG as per Subaru NZ website
What Is Not Covered
Wear and tear caused by use of the vehicle for racing, rallying, speed trailing, hill climbing or similar activities or competitive events.

so don't expect it to be covered.
Anyways it is sweet to see someone modifying a new car as most wont, would be sweet to see how it goes on the track and just how much power it puts down in its current state on the dyno

Only ever seen road use.

how long do you have remaining on warranty period and do you think it's still likely that you'll be able to use it given any of your other mods? i think after a point you may as well stop sitting on the fence and fully enjoy your car as it kinda seems like you've crossed the 'stock' line already anyway?

Got car brand new early September 2016, 3 years of warranty so over 2 years left.

55 minutes ago, Conducks said:

My mum's M5 and dad's 911 are covered under warranty on racetrack... The whole idea of a warranty is if it breaks they fix it. 

Only if it breaks during normal driving conditions has been maintainedited correctly etc. Porches and BMW will have different clauses in them to subaru and certain cars may be covered at race tracks. The term 'Track ready' is a marketing ploy to help sell cars.