Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

14 minutes ago, evowrx said:

Are you smashing gears up and down at high load, or being really rough? Linkage bushes and engine/box mounts in good condition?

It is on a track and today I took more care than I normally do when changing to make sure I was careful(not engine braking like I used to and just using the brakes). when the first gear box got put in I got them to check mounts and bushes and replace as required. The original gear box never had this issue, was all good till mate smashed second gear into pieces. This is now becoming a pain in the Ass

17 minutes ago, Kiwiflyboy said:

It is on a track and today I took more care than I normally do when changing to make sure I was careful(not engine braking like I used to and just using the brakes). when the first gear box got put in I got them to check mounts and bushes and replace as required. The original gear box never had this issue, was all good till mate smashed second gear into pieces. This is now becoming a pain in the Ass

I gave the boxes I had absolute death and never had any issue under load. Later in the piece I had launch and flat shift but did plenty of both with just dumping clutch or banging gears with pedal on the floor. All v3-6 sti boxes and a v7 etc box.

What oil are you using?

I gave the boxes I had absolute death and never had any issue under load. Later in the piece I had launch and flat shift but did plenty of both with just dumping clutch or banging gears with pedal on the floor. All v3-6 sti boxes and a v7 etc box.

What oil are you using?

Yeah as I said the original box was excellent and did 185000km of good use. These have both failed the same way. We're installed by a company and they got both boxes from a supplier

I just sawed off the insides of it, filed and sanded it down till it was all flat.
Bought gutter guard from Bunnings. Just the plastic stuff, metal is better but harder to mould around the frame.
Then glued it in. Will slap some cable ties on it tomorrow.
Not perfect but better then stock I reckon

Sent from my K3 Note using Tapatalk

Oh, so its solid plastic? Always thought it was hollow and would leave a hole, its why ive never modified mine

On 2/09/2017 at 7:32 PM, Kiwiflyboy said:

What track and lap times? And what is the car? And power levels?

As for the box, what is the code on the box and how flogged was it before you got it? If it's something out of say an 89 RS, it probably won't last very long as they are very old and abused by now. What fluid are you running in it? And what clutch? And aggressive clutch will quite easily do bad things to a gearbox if you are racing.

What track and lap times? And what is the car? And power levels?

As for the box, what is the code on the box and how flogged was it before you got it? If it's something out of say an 89 RS, it probably won't last very long as they are very old and abused by now. What fluid are you running in it? And what clutch? And aggressive clutch will quite easily do bad things to a gearbox if you are racing.

Ruapuna set my fastest lap time of 1.44. It’s a 98 forester with 193kw at the wheels. The original gear box did 186000km and was mint till friend blew second gear with a dumb down shift.

Then went into a shop to get a second hand box put in with matching gear box codes. The first one started to die after 120km with the front bearings in diff failing and this one sounds like the same noise only just started to make it in 3rd and 4th and only when throttle applied.

Clutch is just a standard replacement so that would go before gears hopefully. Both gear boxes have come second had unknown kms from their place they get them from.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 9/1/2017 at 8:30 AM, 4G63B8 said:

hey @swamp they are not directional but the tires, they are damn good though for driving they stick so well on the road... @THUNDA i did get a wof with them bro about 3 weeks ago so they definitely good for wofs

Potenzas are definitely a great tyre, my favourite

• Like 1

• Admin
26 minutes ago, Jono24 said:

Who'd you go to?

I'm with Tower, they were pretty good with accepting all the mods. They were more worried about the total value of an older car.

Was with AA who have been great, just couldn't justify the cost vs agreed value. $6700 agreed value and $1000+ premiums... pass.
Now with AMI with agreed value of $9k and $300 less in annual premiums. They had no issues with my history or the body kit and lowering springs.

I review things every year anyway, so might end up with AA again if the price comes down.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 1randomkiwi said:

Was with AA who have been great, just couldn't justify the cost vs agreed value. $6700 agreed value and $1000+ premiums... pass.
Now with AMI with agreed value of $9k and $300 less in annual premiums. They had no issues with my history or the body kit and lowering springs.

I review things every year anyway, so might end up with AA again if the price comes down.

I think I'm with Tower or whoever works with Trade Me insurance. $90ish per month, tempted to go without insurance but I've had a car broken into and been in a bad car crash before and don't think the savings would be worth it 

14 hours ago, Kiwiflyboy said:

Ruapuna set my fastest lap time of 1.44. It’s a 98 forester with 193kw at the wheels. The original gear box did 186000km and was mint till friend blew second gear with a dumb down shift.

Then went into a shop to get a second hand box put in with matching gear box codes. The first one started to die after 120km with the front bearings in diff failing and this one sounds like the same noise only just started to make it in 3rd and 4th and only when throttle applied.

Clutch is just a standard replacement so that would go before gears hopefully. Both gear boxes have come second had unknown kms from their place they get them from.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you know the code of the box you replaced it with and what fluid went into it?

Hmm, thats a hard one then, hard to know if you got unlucky with a sh*t box or just you are being rough on it? You can always look on passenger side of the box to see what the code is by the way. To make sure it's actually a box from a modern car. You could try a later model (ie 2000+) 5 speed, they are supposed to be better. I spent a couple of years doing sprints on 5 speeds and only ever broke one. Mind you I have broken 2 6 speeds, but that's mostly shifter issues I think.

2 hours ago, Munkvy said:

Hmm, thats a hard one then, hard to know if you got unlucky with a sh*t box or just you are being rough on it? You can always look on passenger side of the box to see what the code is by the way. To make sure it's actually a box from a modern car. You could try a later model (ie 2000+) 5 speed, they are supposed to be better. I spent a couple of years doing sprints on 5 speeds and only ever broke one. Mind you I have broken 2 6 speeds, but that's mostly shifter issues I think.

Yep its back off to the shop today and they going to see what part is failing this time..... I was much nicer to this gear box than the original one that was in the car when I got it and it never failed like these two. I'm wondering if they have been sitting around dry for a long time and then getting a hard work out on the track is showing the faults up quicker than normally would show?