Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

On 10/2/2017 at 10:01 AM, Percy said:

Thought I'd blown up another TT Legacy on Saturday, drove the B4 over to a mates place for a BBQ, on the way there it developed a huge misfire.:/

When we stopped it stank of fuel, but there was no fire or visible evidence of explosions, so continued on driving it like a nana.

Tried it again yesterday and it was still doing it, so pulled the coils and plugs out, and found the plugs are all FUBARed.

I'm surprised the thing ran at all, only one plug still has anything resembling the wee cone left, and its gap was about 1.8mm, the biggest gap which was the plug that stank of unburnt fuel, was over 2.5mm!!:o

So much for the plugs supposedly being replaced before we bought the car, I suspect these plugs were fitted by the factory 150,000k's ago, and the garage which did the service for the previous owner never changed them.>:(

Anyway some new platinum plugs, and accessory belts while I'm in there faffing about, and she should be good to go!B|

I'll try and get some pics for reference on how spark plugs should NOT look!

So plugs alone did not fix the problem, It is a bit better, but still sounds like a tractor and has no power.

Apparently its making boost, or so the gauge says, just not doing anything with it.

Can't find any leaks, or loose wires etc.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm hoping its not jumped the belt on a cam pulley or something stupid like that.

In other news, swapped the tyres round so the B4 now has the RE003's on it, and got it some new wheel nuts cos the chrome was flaking off the old ones.

Now I just need to clean the wheels and takes some unfilthy pics...

Edited by Percy
Derp!
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Percy said:

So plugs alone did not fix the problem, It is a bit better, but still sounds like a tractor and has no power.

Apparently its making boost, or so the gauge says, just not doing anything with it.

Can't find any leaks, or loose wires etc.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm hoping its not jumped the belt on a cam pulley or something stupid like that.

In other news, swapped the tyres round so the B4 now has the RE003's on it, and got it some new wheel nuts cos the chrome was flaking off the old ones.

Now I just need to clean the wheels and takes some unfilthy pics...

Very worn out plugs can cause damage to the coil or leads also. The spark attempts to find an easier route to ground than the plug. Would pay to check those for any signs of arcing.

20 minutes ago, IZichard said:

Very worn out plugs can cause damage to the coil or leads also. The spark attempts to find an easier route to ground than the plug. Would pay to check those for any signs of arcing.

Its coil on plug, which makes things a bit easier, with no leads to attempt to diagnose.

And makes it harder trying to diagnose 4 coils!

I couldn't see anything obvious symptoms of arcing, but silly me didn't test the coils when I had them out, derp.

• Like 1

You’re not talking 300kw in the sense anyone else does though. You’re getting an estimated engine kw not wheel kw. Ask your tuner what you’re putting down at the wheels.

I just want the NZPC 300kw club sticker hahaha, all the other cars he’s tuned to 300kw have them, I asked about wheel power and he said they only record flywheel power because it’s more accurate. And it must be pretty accurate because he said before he tuned it my car made 220kw, Subaru quotes 225kw stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Admin
16 minutes ago, Conducks said:

I just want the NZPC 300kw club sticker hahaha, all the other cars he’s tuned to 300kw have them, I asked about wheel power and he said they only record flywheel power because it’s more accurate. And it must be pretty accurate because he said before he tuned it my car made 220kw, Subaru quotes 225kw stock.

Lol those stickers mean nothing. I've seen "400kW+" stickered cars do sub 300kw on hub dynos.
At the end of the day, it's your car, you don't have to justify your decisions but the guys/gals on here have great advice on how to make your car perform.

Don't just be one of these guys:
chasing-numbers.jpg

chasing-numbers.jpg

• Like 6

That's just it. The 220kw figure hes quoting is flywheel he cannot possibly know that. Subaru quote 225kw at fly on an engine dyno. Drivetrain loss is not linear in relation to power. If you were losing 21.3kw to the drivetrain before post tune you will still have 21.3kw drivetrain loss. But in percentages it might be 18.7% pre and 11.5% post tune. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Conducks said:

I asked about wheel power and he said they only record flywheel power because it’s more accurate

Theres no way that 'flywheel power' is more accurate than awkw without an engine dyno.   All a normal dyno does is add a percentage fudge factor to the power at the wheels number.

The scaled 'flywheel power' cannot be used as a comparison to any other car or as a measure of how fast it is due to the scaling needing to be different for every car and power level. For example a 610hp Huracan only makes ~300awkw. This is why everyone talks in power at the wheels, I'm suprised nzpc will even give you a sticker haha.

Edited by mitch8198

Lol those stickers mean nothing. I've seen "400kW+" stickered cars do sub 300kw on hub dynos.
At the end of the day, it's your car, you don't have to justify your decisions but the guys/gals on here have great advice on how to make your car perform.

Don't just be one of these guys:
chasing-numbers.jpg
chasing-numbers.jpg

Yeah you guys all have much more experience than me, I’ve only been in the Subi game for the last like 2.5 years. After I’ve upgraded my fuel system I’ll look at doing a turbo and maybe even a FMIC. Pretty much topping out stock motor by then so might get a motor built or just chip away at building a short block at home to swap my heads onto.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Conducks said:

Yeah you guys all have much more experience than me, I’ve only been in the Subi game for the last like 2.5 years. After I’ve upgraded my fuel system I’ll look at doing a turbo and maybe even a FMIC. Pretty much topping out stock motor by then so might get a motor built or just chip away at building a short block at home to swap my heads onto.

It's 2.5 right? Just throw twin scroll set up on it and a gcg turbo. You will have a twin scroll sump on it. With e85 it should be a monster on the street. Probably get away with tmic too.

It's 2.5 right? Just throw twin scroll set up on it and a gcg turbo. You will have a twin scroll sump on it. With e85 it should be a monster on the street. Probably get away with tmic too.

Yeah it’s the dumb 2.5 haha wish it had the 2.0, seems to be more things available on trademe for the 207 than the 257

2.5 makes a heap of difference for low end torque and response though. Would rather that than a crazy rpm limit for a street car

Does the 2.0 have the rings issue the 2.5 has? I just purchased a oil catch can off of AliExpress cause i noticed a fair bit of oil in the breathers and intercooler and read online that it’s the oil going into the cylinder and through the rings that buggers them

32 minutes ago, Conducks said:

Yeah it’s the dumb 2.5 haha wish it had the 2.0, seems to be more things available on trademe for the 207 than the 257

Same generic bolt ons.

I'd take the 2.5 over the 2.0.

21 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

2.5 makes a heap of difference for low end torque and response though. Would rather that than a crazy rpm limit for a street car

Sounds like you haven't had an 8200rpm limit before =P

• Like 2

Nope. Just the 7.5k Legacy limit which is more rhan enough. Not a fan of ringing it out to redline on the street. Typically look like a bit of a muppet doing so too.

Mine limits at 6,500 but power is all gone by 6,000 anyway, hardly ever do I take it right up to redline

Mine limits at 6,500 but power is all gone by 6,000 anyway, hardly ever do I take it right up to redline

With that little snail itll be choking like a motherfuvker. Dont expect peak power at 6k.

Run it to 20-22psi and see what happens.

Tuner said he chucked in more boost but it didn’t make a difference, I’m on 17PSi atm which is only 1PSi above factory. I really think I’m limited by my injectors and fuel pump.