Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

1 hour ago, pedro said:

Skid marks and holes in fences..someone has repairs this week..

Your car is going well Loren..

That's where the Evo went off. I didn't see the damage as they just left it there for the whole day. Too far down to tow back up.

The car is going well... the driver needs to be more consistent though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Individualities said:

Speaking of Road Sprints - spotted @preim at the Northland Car Club's yearly Doctors Hill Road hill climb on Sunday.

No surprises who won - the guy who has the old Orange Starlet with a Hayabussa engine in it.

I beat that guy a few weeks back... not officially though as the club running the event can't do basic math.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, A_J_T said:

This better be for what I think it is... and not you bailing out like the rest of them 

I thought it was time for a change.... oh how wrong I was.... 

Lasted not even two days before changing back

iSp92Re.jpg

YsjW5fq.jpg

RvDH9tI.jpg

And because I'm a big fan of impracticality - I lowered the front a touch more 

nUwxpO8.jpg

Soz for the shitty phone pics 

• Like 6

• Auckland Member
On 10/15/2018 at 3:29 PM, Individualities said:

Speaking of Road Sprints - spotted @preim at the Northland Car Club's yearly Doctors Hill Road hill climb on Sunday.

No surprises who won - the guy who has the old Orange Starlet with a Hayabussa engine in it.

You should have said hi!

I was riding shotgun in the evo 1 and e28

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Don't know how you guys do it aye. I'm not even low and I spend the whole time worrying about scraping the front bumper on just about every driveway

If I had a nice front lip then I might care a little more lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

Don't know how you guys do it aye. I'm not even low and I spend the whole time worrying about scraping the front bumper on just about every driveway

My life. Mainly cos I know my insurance will hate me when I make a claim, which needs a new front bumper cos S401 front bumpers are $4500.

1 hour ago, preim said:

You should have said hi!

I was riding shotgun in the evo 1 and e28

I was being dragged along by Dad! He was a member back in the 80s.

Was that E28 the M535i of the Rogers? 

• Auckland Member
6 minutes ago, Individualities said:

I was being dragged along by Dad! He was a member back in the 80s.

Was that E28 the M535i of the Rogers? 

Yep, one of my good mates. Had me shitting myself! haha

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

Same, stock ride height, got a front lip now, before I put that on I had to be really careful, but now it's even worse. Guess I can trade that off for how much better the lip makes the car look.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

Just what I needed.....

45355233961_93c89313d5_b.jpg

Been shoving that USB in a little too hard I see.

Looks repairable, did it break the solder or the pins? Soldering it back on wouldn't be too bad with and iron and a steady hand. If the pins are broken you will probably have to put on a new connector or maybe bridge it with a short length of wire. Make sure you use a temperature adjustable iron or a low wattage one as it would be super easy to overheat and lift pads that size.

This may be of use to you.

https://nz.rs-online.com/web/c/connectors/usb-d-sub-computing-connectors/mini-usb-connectors/

• Like 1

• Admin
22 minutes ago, IZichard said:

Been shoving that USB in a little too hard I see.

Looks repairable, did it break the solder or the pins? Soldering it back on wouldn't be too bad with and iron and a steady hand. If the pins are broken you will probably have to put on a new connector or maybe bridge it with a short length of wire. Make sure you use a temperature adjustable iron or a low wattage one as it would be super easy to overheat and lift pads that size.

This may be of use to you.

https://nz.rs-online.com/web/c/connectors/usb-d-sub-computing-connectors/mini-usb-connectors/

Probably haha. Just a S*** design really. Heaps of people seem to have this same issue if they don't have a permanent setup that prevents any movement. Think mine went as i’ve been moving it around and swapping between the tablet and the computer cable every day for the last few weeks while tuning.

Have had a go at resoldering everything. Looks pretty good to me. The pins essentially just pulled straight off the solder with zero damage which shows how average it was from the get-go. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Probably haha. Just a S*** design really. Heaps of people seem to have this same issue if they don't have a permanent setup that prevents any movement. Think mine went as i’ve been moving it around and swapping between the tablet and the computer cable every day for the last few weeks while tuning.

Have had a go at resoldering everything. Looks pretty good to me. The pins essentially just pulled straight off the solder with zero damage which shows how average it was from the get-go. 

Ahh interesting, I'll have to be careful with my one then.

Glad you were able to repair it. If there is a lot of stress on the solder joints in normal use then you could reinforce it with a couple blobs of hot glue or similar on either side of the socket. It is pretty common for OEMs to do this for heavier components on PCBs.

• Admin

Especially if it's still in the stock position. Way to easy to kick it off. That was why I moved mine but it obviously didn't solve the issue completely.

The decently sized solder pads on each corner should have been adequate but guess vibrations along with the way mine hangs up under the steering column put excess stress on it.

Going forward i’ll look at getting a short right angled extension cable and cable tie that firmly to the case so when swapping outputs it isn't getting pulled out of the socket on the board each time.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

Just what I needed....

Time to get out the soldering iron! Nice work with the soldering iron! 

15 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

There has been multiple occasions when i've had to get out of the car and go shove my bumper back on after reversing out of a carpark or driveway and its scraped pretty bad or clipped onto carpark end dumpstops... such fun :)

Edited by A_J_T
dur dur
  • Like 1