Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

2 hours ago, HannesNel said:

Right, next big ticket item (and it's an auto so don't worry about a manual car running away) is a remote start/keyless entry for my GT.

I searched on the forum but not much info except for OEM.

I found some brands....has anyone done something and can recommend a brand?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Compustar-Car-Auto-Remote-Start-Starter-w-Keyless-Entry-Bypass-Module-Bundle/312331604999?epid=1642395152&hash=item48b86a1407:g:QQsAAOSw6jJb9aQI:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

https://www.carid.com/2006-subaru-legacy-remote-start/

The guys in the states seem to talk about Compustar quite a bit

Are they legal? I didn't think they were

• Admin
2 hours ago, HannesNel said:

So then all modern cars current in NZ with remote and keyless FOB's should be exported as they illegal?

Factory fitted stuff gets to skip all the lame ass rules. Such as bi-modal exhausts, super dark tints and whatnot that we can't fit after manufacture

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sobanoodle said:

What would you need a remote start for? In NZ at least.

I’ve also considered getting one. Just to defrost the car in winter without having to go outside. Also means you can have the car warming up in the driveway without the risk of someone getting in and driving away with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sobanoodle said:

What would you need a remote start for? In NZ at least.

I had it on the rs ra and was good for warming up, as it had a little piston slap at cold that disappeared within a few minutes, so would start the car and by the time I'd locked up the house it was nice and quiet and the oil pressure was good. Due to its age I liked to make sure she wasnt heading out the hate stone cold.  

As for leaving in gear and the remote starter I'm not sure as I was always paranoid about leaving it in gear, and always had it drilled into me to leave it out of gear unless on a hill. You could wire up a micro switch to disable it when in gear.

I also loved to hear it rumble to life just before leaving the office.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GC8E2DD said:

I leave my car parked in gear. How does a remote start deal with that?

This is for auto transmissions only. YOu do get kits for manuals but you then need to wire in neutral switches etc but in general its not recommended due to safety issues.

AA legal has confirmed its not against WOF regs. I will try and make contact with NZTA as well to get another opinion

Edited by HannesNel
  • Like 1

• Admin
48 minutes ago, Dairusire said:

Now look. 

I may or may not have done something...

bCpPXJY.jpg

P1YgYK9.jpg

C5tZmxH.jpg

fdKW3Ty.jpg

Which may or may not be going with a twisted turbo kit that fits this turbo that I'm picking up to test fit this afternoon >.> 

UhQ0ZT4.png

That setup was on Trademe and/or Facebook a few weeks back wasn't it? Remember seeing one just like it and thought it would be a killer setup for someone on here.

• Admin

That setup was on Trademe and/or Facebook a few weeks back wasn't it? Remember seeing one just like it and thought it would be a killer setup for someone on here.
Potentially yeah. I don't know if it was on Trademe but it is for sale by Mitchell Lowe. It's a little on the pricey side if I'm honest, but for a drop in solution it will be amazing.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Dairusire said:

Potentially yeah. I don't know if it was on Trademe but it is for sale by Mitchell Lowe. It's a little on the pricey side if I'm honest, but for a drop in solution it will be amazing.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Pretty sure it's the same one, not many come with an adaptor like that. It was a fair bit but compared to paying to get it all fabbed yourself it was a bargain

31 minutes ago, Dairusire said:

Because the turbo was owned by a friend. I'll swap it out from the 1.05 external to 0.93 internally gated housing :)

Makes sense, was thinking must have been second hand or chosen for something large.

• Admin
19 minutes ago, Inked said:

thats the old setup of LOLGTR? nice mate cant wait to see the progress 

Yep it certainly is! 

13 minutes ago, sleepr said:

Yeap was on sale on fb few days ago. Looks like nice piece of kit. Which car is this going in bro?

I'm tempted to throw it on the legacy for luls but I know that would be maximum dumb for me to do lol. 

It'll be going on the RA. Since it has the forged closed deck bottom end and Spec C Heads. 

• Like 4

I'm tempted to throw it on the legacy for luls but I know that would be maximum dumb for me to do lol. 

It'll be going on the RA. Since it has the forged closed deck bottom end and Spec C Heads. 
Hey man I don't mind putting it on my legacy for the testing lulz. Send it my way cheers

• Subscribed Member
19 hours ago, SpeedySub said:

I had it on the rs ra and was good for warming up, as it had a little piston slap at cold that disappeared within a few minutes, so would start the car and by the time I'd locked up the house it was nice and quiet and the oil pressure was good. Due to its age I liked to make sure she wasnt heading out the hate stone cold.  

As for leaving in gear and the remote starter I'm not sure as I was always paranoid about leaving it in gear, and always had it drilled into me to leave it out of gear unless on a hill. You could wire up a micro switch to disable it when in gear.

I also loved to hear it rumble to life just before leaving the office.

Can confirm I never wired it up to detect the gears in the RA.

Back when I had it in the FTO I also didn't have it picking up gears, and accidentally remote started:

it in gear,

at a petrol station, 

behind a police car...

Yeah that didn't end too well. 

• Like 4

A while ago I had asked my car alarm guy to see how it can be done on my car, he said insurances won't like it and won't cover you if you they know that you had a remote start on your car when by factory it didn't. I was going to do it for the same reason as well, i.e. to let the forged pistons expand and let the engine warm up before driving away. Even at work, I just sit around for couple of minutes after starting and mates joke around saying how my car cannot be used as a get away car lol.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sleepr said:

A while ago I had asked my car alarm guy to see how it can be done on my car, he said insurances won't like it and won't cover you if you they know that you had a remote start on your car when by factory it didn't. I was going to do it for the same reason as well, i.e. to let the forged pistons expand and let the engine warm up before driving away. Even at work, I just sit around for couple of minutes after starting and mates joke around saying how my car cannot be used as a get away car lol.

Thanks! Another source and agency I will get confirmation with... 

Seems it might not become a reality but let's see.