Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

8 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

Sexy.

Know nothing about these but find it rather sexy too.

May be it's the colour for me rather than a technical side of things... 😂 Was following a huge Jag sedan yesterday in a similar frosted gun metal, looked rather sexy too. 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 3:08 PM, Nachoooo said:

Despite that, ultimately it's at the inspectors discretion... The practical concern I see is a flooded market of cheaper LED's that don't have a discernible brightness difference between tail light and brake light functions. Whilst OSRAM and Philips are quality brands and make these claims, it's all how the bulb performs in the lamp itself in the real word day and night
Save yourself the hassle, if the bulbs are safe take it for an inspection an see if they fail before doing all that work

One argument is no 'warm-up' time compared to traditional filament bulbs where LED are instant on. We're talking miliseconds here but...

I'll swap them out, as I take my car to the local Testing Station, which I've found to be strict, but fair at the same time. I'll swap em back once I have my WoF :P 

I'll NEVER take my car to VTNZ - I've found them to be pretty strict, and also not helped by a guy there not liking my car, and calling it a fake because of the chassis code being "BES" not "BE5"

I'm gonna play it safe, as I don't know what will happen. And I'd rather my car pass a WoF cleanly, than fail for a simple thing like retrofitted LEDs.

The warm-up time is something OSRAM and Philips both advertise. LEDs react basically instantly. Plus, LEDs are just, cool in my mind.

Edited by Individualities

• Admin
On 1/12/2019 at 10:27 AM, Individualities said:

That is incredibly vague. The LEDs I have bought are designed to diffuse light in a similar, or even better manner compared to a incandescent.

Asked my old boss, from when I was mechanic. Turns out that retrofitted LEDs aren't allowed at all anymore. All I could find myself about them is that retrofitted LEDs don't meet the "performance" of manufacturer specified bulbs (incandescent). I think it's BS personally, as all the LEDs I have bought are either Osram or Philips branded, which diffuse light better than incandescent bulbs. Plus they're all like $50 a pair, and I have 6 pairs in my car.

So for a WoF, I'll need to swap them all back to incandescent - get the WoF, and put all the LEDs back in. My old boss prefers them as they respond faster, and don't appear to have a warm up time (to the naked eye).

Gonna tag @1randomkiwi here, as I know he's nuts on his LEDs too.

Edit: interior retrofitted LEDs are OK. It's just the exterior ones.

On 1/12/2019 at 2:43 PM, sobanoodle said:

Do not really understand what you really gain by swapping standard bulbs with LED in case of brake lights.

Brighter overall (especially in daylight) - questionable.

Improve/modernise appearance - how? Still a single source of light in the same housing.

I totally get it when people want to LED their parking lights as those look massively outdated with incandescent bulbs.

On 1/12/2019 at 3:08 PM, Nachoooo said:

Despite that, ultimately it's at the inspectors discretion... The practical concern I see is a flooded market of cheaper LED's that don't have a discernible brightness difference between tail light and brake light functions. Whilst OSRAM and Philips are quality brands and make these claims, it's all how the bulb performs in the lamp itself in the real word day and night
Save yourself the hassle, if the bulbs are safe take it for an inspection an see if they fail before doing all that work
One argument is no 'warm-up' time compared to traditional filament bulbs where LED are instant on. We're talking miliseconds here but...

I've had LEDs throughout both my BE and BM Legacy, not a single issue with WoF or Police.

I find the LEDs are much brighter and have a nicer, modern colour. The indicators flash in sync with the stock LED side repeaters, the brake lights come on instantly, and your can leave your car parked with the parklights on for hours without worrying about battery drain. Oh and my reverse lights actually light up dark driveways :D

n3dJcVY.jpg

In terms of exterior lights I have the following as LED: Brake/tail, indicators (all four corners), reverse, number plate and park lights. I will not be changing the main beam (HID), high beam (halogen) and fog lights (halogen) as using LEDs in those situations may dazzle other drivers and create an inefficient beam shape due to the way the lenses are designed.

• Like 4

On 13/01/2019 at 10:47 PM, 1randomkiwi said:

I've had LEDs throughout both my BE and BM Legacy, not a single issue with WoF or Police.

I find the LEDs are much brighter and have a nicer, modern colour. The indicators flash in sync with the stock LED side repeaters, the brake lights come on instantly, and your can leave your car parked with the parklights on for hours without worrying about battery drain. Oh and my reverse lights actually light up dark driveways :D

n3dJcVY.jpg

In terms of exterior lights I have the following as LED: Brake/tail, indicators (all four corners), reverse, number plate and park lights. I will not be changing the main beam (HID), high beam (halogen) and fog lights (halogen) as using LEDs in those situations may dazzle other drivers and create an inefficient beam shape due to the way the lenses are designed.

I have exactly the same set up in my Outback. I brought it with all the LEDs already installed. So much brighter and crisper light

• Like 1

• Admin
20 hours ago, SpeedySub said:

Mine close when you hit the button, but don't extend until you start the car, which annoying

I quite like the idea of that....

19 hours ago, sleepr said:

Nice work man. Mind sharing which control module and the installation instructions?

Have written it up a bit more in my garage thread

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RaKid said:

Tell us more!

Haha list below

STI push button Start Switch

STI oil Cap

STI Leather Key fob cover

DAMD D shape leather Steering wheel

STI Pitch Stopper

STI Air Filter Element 

Zero Sports Intake Hose

Zero Sports Radiator Cap

My wallet is the only thing suffering here xD :/

• Like 2

• Admin
1 minute ago, TNHSTI said:

Haha list below

STI oil Cap

STI Pitch Stopper

STI Air Filter Element 

Zero Sports Intake Hose

Zero Sports Radiator Cap

Super jealous of the wheel. Have always wanted one but just can't justify the cost. May be in the not too distant future since I've worn through the top layer of leather on the current one

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Super jealous of the wheel. Have always wanted one but just can't justify the cost. May be in the not too distant future since I've worn through the top layer of leather on the current one

Yeah I was gutted as my last one had to stay with my STI Forester that I wrote off, would have fit my current Legacy but oh well good to start over dont really like thinking about the poor old foz...

• Like 1

• Admin
12 minutes ago, TNHSTI said:

Haha list below

STI oil Cap

STI Pitch Stopper

STI Air Filter Element 

Zero Sports Intake Hose

Zero Sports Radiator Cap

Oosh - niiice! Photos ASAP please :D

• Like 1

Raced at Port Rd on Sunday... results were pretty disappointing. First run was a dnf due to some dodgy wiring (mine) which stopped the external fuel pump relay from operating. I bypassed the relay for subsequent runs... the rest were pretty mediocre due to a combo of messy unfocussed driving and annoying as hell understeer that always rears it's ugly head at this event... plus turbo lag made worse by not being able to apply lots of throttle immediately after turn in due to the understeer. I am going to try bigger springs in the rear to help with the understeer and some mild anti lag is being setup as well. 1st (Albaru) to 5th in class were all Subarus... followed by an Audi (S8 v10), a Galant and another Audi (TT). 

Edited by Loren