Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

• Admin

The new CAN gauge is now in and working as it should.

Slightly disappointed with the display. The contrast and brightness isn't terrible but not super great either. 

It isn't as bad in dual mode but when showing 4 gauges the text is far to thin to be easily readable on a bright day with just a glance. Hoping that is something they can address with future firmware updates. 

46889558721_aeb5cf84e6_b.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kiwiflyboy said:

Second to last weekend in Wellington so decided to go for a “Sunday drive” around some of the bays in Wellington.

I miss driving round the Wellington bays :(. Beautiful in a very unique, and rugged way. Kinda like the West coast in a number of places.

I grew up down there, but moved north with my parents in 2008.

I owe Whangarei and Northland a lot for who I am now, but my goodness I miss Wellington! I'd love to spend a month just holidaying down there and exploring the greater region. There's a lot I didn't ever get to do, due to be young and all that.

4 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

The new CAN gauge is now in and working as it should.

Slightly disappointed with the display. The contrast and brightness isn't terrible but not super great either. 

It isn't as bad in dual mode but when showing 4 gauges the text is far to thin to be easily readable on a bright day with just a glance. Hoping that is something they can address with future firmware updates. 

Me like how tidy that is! I'm thinking about where to mount my Haletch CAN gauge in my BE when I get round to getting that far - I'm linking possibly off of the face of the cigarette ash tray down by the shifter, as I'd be able to not run it all the time. But I'd like something like how that is right now, but for a BE.

Edited by Individualities
  • Like 1

• Admin

After a maaaaassive mission today with @RaKid and @lowandy the fuel system is done, loom is in and plugged up, all the ancillaries are on the car, I've probably forgotten something and the car won't start tomorrow, but sh1t, it went from 40% done to 85-90% there. 

The big task of the day was mostly getting the fuel system in and done in the right places. It looks pretty dang cool. 

There will be more photos tomorrow as these were taken much earlier in the day of the progress, but not the finished item. 

lAVMCrZ.png

JvDQ32f.png

MaU9YG3.png

IYa8hpM.png

zkHFoZw.png

Kjoa7p6.png

• Like 8

• Admin
34 minutes ago, Individualities said:

Me like how tidy that is! I'm thinking about where to mount my Haletch CAN gauge in my BE when I get round to getting that far - I'm linking possibly off of the face of the cigarette ash tray down by the shifter, as I'd be able to not run it all the time. But I'd like something like how that is right now, but for a BE.

BTW the Haltech gauge is this one, just rebranded with the Haltech logo.

Had a look and that guy doesn't do them for third gens. Can't imagine it would be that hard for him to make one though. It's just a pod molded to a stock clip in vent.

What's your reasoning behind going Haltech anyway? They’re quite a bit more expensive than a similarly specced Link?

• Admin
31 minutes ago, Dairusire said:

After a maaaaassive mission today with @RaKid and @lowandy the fuel system is done, loom is in and plugged up, all the ancillaries are on the car, I've probably forgotten something and the car won't start tomorrow, but sh1t, it went from 40% done to 85-90% there. 

The big task of the day was mostly getting the fuel system in and done in the right places. It looks pretty dang cool. 

There will be more photos tomorrow as these were taken much earlier in the day of the progress, but not the finished item. 

Solid effort. So what's the plan for it for now? Just gonna run a factory turbo until you get it down to SAS?

• Admin

Solid effort. So what's the plan for it for now? Just gonna run a factory turbo until you get it down to SAS?
Yah pretty much!

I'm gonna hoon around on this stuo for a little bit and once I've got the cash, take the big dive and hand it over.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So my reverse camera arrived and I I want to install it this coming weekend.

It came with the HSS holesaw but not sure I want to cut into the body panel. Anybody come some pics of how they mounted theirs?

I am also considering hooking it up to the reverse light as its right there in the wagon door.

Any other tips?

• Admin
28 minutes ago, HannesNel said:

So my reverse camera arrived and I I want to install it this coming weekend.

It came with the HSS holesaw but not sure I want to cut into the body panel. Anybody come some pics of how they mounted theirs?

I am also considering hooking it up to the reverse light as its right there in the wagon door.

Any other tips?

I hooked mine up to the reverse lights, works fine.

If you have a look at the last few pictures of my install you can see that i was able to pass the cable through a grommet in the boot door. Not sure how applicable it will be to your car, but worth checking out.

2 hours ago, thewabbit1 said:

I hooked mine up to the reverse lights, works fine.

If you have a look at the last few pictures of my install you can see that i was able to pass the cable through a grommet in the boot door. Not sure how applicable it will be to your car, but worth checking out.

Thanks! YIp wiring is not a problem but the actually camera:

Its one of these - basically got it for free so need to somehow mount it.

So either make somesort of bracket or box for it or drill through the bodywork to mount it.

qj-689b_1089_-rear-view-camera.jpg

• Admin

So I called it! Car didn't start today LOL!
Still got a fair bit done.

Also, photos as promised of the fuel system and stuffs as it was last night.

Not gonna lie, I got reeeeeeally twitchy when we had to get the grinder out and cut the bumper bar. Intercooler is in but the charge pipes are such crap.

So they're not in position properly. Screw it lol95537d12960e26e10823f5bf91ad7a05.jpg4c08a67f916f5d8741c9661ea6f7103f.jpg2ba9de3bbbceea1fc18e54e2727a169c.jpgd301223236f5631ef6d006b89e0a87c9.jpg38e3c319dac01066ba4462e5fe309f59.jpg2ccaa1c44129c6b0266958bb7f7f25b0.jpg

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

On 1/27/2019 at 11:28 PM, Andy_Mac said:

BTW the Haltech gauge is this one, just rebranded with the Haltech logo.

Had a look and that guy doesn't do them for third gens. Can't imagine it would be that hard for him to make one though. It's just a pod molded to a stock clip in vent.

What's your reasoning behind going Haltech anyway? They’re quite a bit more expensive than a similarly specced Link?

Good to know. I'll probably do something similar myself.

So it replaces the little vent thats in the dash? I'm fine with that.

Haltech is a reasonably local company, being based out of Australia. The support is there, and easy to access, and parts too.

I'm not afraid of cost, due to me taking my time with this, and probably gonna build the car up over the next 3-5 years.

Gonna get my Motorbike license too, so I have a cheap means of transport for when the car isn't driveable. Things are looking very promising for a job on the Puhoi-Warkworth extension as a machinery operator as this stage... so I should be able to save pretty easily.

• Admin
37 minutes ago, Individualities said:

Haltech is a reasonably local company, being based out of Australia. The support is there, and easy to access, and parts too.

I'm not afraid of cost, due to me taking my time with this, and probably gonna build the car up over the next 3-5 years.

But Link Engine Management is an NZ company? Haltech is great and all but for a Subaru, you can't really beat a Link in NZ.

• Admin

@1randomkiwi @Individualities

Definitely agree for older models.

For facelift BL/BP, GR/GV and newer, other brands such as Haltech and EMTron are the way to go. That CAN gauge works for Link ECU’s too BTW.

Most importantly is to discuss with whoever is going to tune the car as each tuner has a preference. Don't go expecting their best work on an ECU they’ve had very little experience with...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

@1randomkiwi @Individualities

Definitely agree for older models.

For facelift BL/BP, GR/GV and newer, other brands such as Haltech and EMTron are the way to go. That CAN gauge works for Link ECU’s too BTW.

Most importantly is to discuss with whoever is going to tune the car as each tuner has a preference. Don't go expecting their best work on an ECU they’ve had very little experience with...

D'oh! I though LINK was American all this time!

Well, definitely gonna have to look at a LINK then. Will most likely go with them now. Not disappointed to not be using Haltech, but glad that someone pointed out LINK to me!

Want something that I can do FlexFuel with (I don't understand the model range). Something in their higher range (if it's worth doing, it's worth over doing).

With the engine I'll be using, and from what I've seen with @McMasterJamie's wicked BE Legacy, I can probably get away with a V7-9 STI plug and play kit (means I can also look into a V8/9 EJ207 too, as I'm probably going Twin Scroll Turbo)!? Have to have a chat to LINK when I'm nearing that part of the build.

I have no idea who I'd want to tune the car! Not too keen on PBMS at the moment. If someone can recommend someone in the upper North Island (or just North Island), I'd be happy to trailer (more likely truck, cos I have my licenses :)) my car to them for a tune!

• Like 1

• Admin
1 minute ago, Individualities said:

D'oh! I though LINK was American all this time!

Well, definitely gonna have to look at a LINK then. Will most likely go with them now. Not disappointed to not be using Haltech, but glad that someone pointed out LINK to me!

Want something that I can do FlexFuel with (I don't understand the model range). Something in their higher range (if it's worth doing, it's worth over doing).

With the engine I'll be using, and from what I've seen with @McMasterJamie's wicked BE Legacy, I can probably get away with a V7-9 STI plug and play kit (means I can also look into a V8/9 EJ207 too, as I'm probably going Twin Scroll Turbo)!? Have to have a chat to LINK when I'm nearing that part of the build.

I have no idea who I'd want to tune the car! Not too keen on PBMS at the moment. If someone can recommend someone in the upper North Island (or just North Island), I'd be happy to trailer (more likely truck, cos I have my licenses :)) my car to them for a tune!

V7-9 Link G4+ is the most expensive of the Subaru range I think

And DTECH gets my vote

• Like 3

• Admin

@Individualities No need to go too far up the model range. Onboard o2 and E-throttle are the only reason to go further up. Onboard o2 is quite a nice feature as the ECU cost bump between xtreme and fury is less than what you pay to have a separate one setup on the xtreme. You'd probably get away with a storm in reality though.

If you're reasonably confident then there’s no reason you can't just get a wire in ECU. This age car is well documented so there shouldn't be any hickups along the way.

My vote definitely goes for DTech too. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, iludez said:

Anyone run 19" wheels on a 4th gen? Looking at some tsw spa's that look bloody nice in 19" localish to me and thinking of grabbing them

Have seen a few over the ditch. Keep in mind that:

1. you'll have to run a lower profile == harsher ride

2. more expensive tyres

• Like 2

Have seen a few over the ditch. Keep in mind that:
1. you'll have to run a lower profile == harsher ride
2. more expensive tyres
Hmmm yeah good point. Pass then, what about running 17s? I have 18s now and the ride sucks with 40 profile tyres. I want to keep minimal arch gap too

I think 4th gen look best on decent width18s with a chunky tyre
14304272475_91513fea88_b.jpg
Yeah that looks amazing. But..... $$$ and nothing local at all here. I have he spec b 18s currently and am not a fan of the look, can grab a set of the stock 5 spoke 17s with new tyres for cheap here. Unsure what to do.