Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

1 hour ago, 1randomkiwi said:

These are wheels I've been considering for a while now that you might be interested in:
https://www.trademe.co.nz/1929772241

https://www.trademe.co.nz/1922975579

Those are basically the same specs as S401 wheels too.

The STI Wheels are exactly the same specs, so if you have Brembos, they'll very likely clear them! I'm very tempted on those ones...

But ultimately wanting some S402 (S203/S204) wheels, as they're a little wider at 18x8 (vs 18x7.5), so I can run a wider tire for more grip (like a 245/40/18).

Also, 18"s are the way to go in my opinion. Tire prices are slowly coming down for 18"s, and they're a good balance of looks and handling. 19"s are a little too big in my opinion, and 17"s are ok, but look just a touch too small.

Edited by Individualities

• Admin
52 minutes ago, iludez said:

It's just such a pain finding wheels where I live and shipping isn't an option because it adds heaps more on top.

Dude the NT03 have free shipping! :P

I reckon they'd look mean on a 3rd or 4th gen. They're the same wheels as the 4th gen photo I posted and the wheels on the front of this B4:
17827336213_6b35140d81_b.jpg

• Like 3

• Admin
7 hours ago, IZichard said:

Here’s hoping I never have to use it.

Murphys law, you have it, you'll never need it. The one time you remove it from the car, you'll need it.

I actually have two in my car, one in the same position (double metal straps for track days) and another (which only has a single metal strap) in the boot

1 minute ago, Subirex Automotive said:

Not my car, but we have successfully converted a facelift BP5 auto to a manual 6-speed! CANBUS still working, ready for a tune :) 

That would make it a lot more fun!!!

Would love a manual in the BPE Outback 😁

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Subirex Automotive said:

Not my car, but we have successfully converted a facelift BP5 auto to a manual 6-speed! CANBUS still working, ready for a tune :) 

To make it more interesting for everyone to get their heads around, we used the factory auto loom, ECU and the BCM ;) 

We pulled out the AT control unit and did some magic wiring ;) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Subirex Automotive said:

To make it more interesting for everyone to get their heads around, we used the factory auto loom, ECU and the BCM ;) 

We pulled out the AT control unit and did some magic wiring ;) 

Did it have the Si drive? And could you retain it?

That sounds like some good magic going on there

• Admin
4 hours ago, SpeedySub said:

Did it have the Si drive? And could you retain it?

That sounds like some good magic going on there

Since the manual donor car and auto car were both facelift that won't be an issue.

Aussie tuner Matt has done it this way once before too. All electronics stayed as they were and just did some weird custom S*** in the tune.

Way over my head though haha

• Like 1

On 1/26/2019 at 8:14 PM, Dairusire said:

Thats the point of what I'm doing. 

With that 2.0 CBD you retain the strength with sleeving, and then convert to dual thrust.

go to 2.2L 96MM sleeve rather than the 2.5 99 (or 99.5 - 100 depending on your route), and hiff in a 2.5L crank. 

You get to keep for the most part the RPM's of a smaller 2.0 motor while having some of the torque or the 2.5. It's a good middle ground that not many people in NZ have caught onto yet, and I'm gonna run with it and see how far I can push it. 

Closed deck, sleeved and forged internals could see me well. 

So what sort of turbo would you be running?

I'm currently stuck between a few options, and am open to further suggestions (from I have discovered)...

- TD05HRA-16G6C/10.5T (EVO 9 RS turbo)

- Garrett GTX3071R Gen II (EVO 10 turbo upgrade - good for 550hp apparently)

- Garrett G25-550

Ideally something that's making full boost at around 3000-3500rpm.

Edited by Individualities

• Admin

So what sort of turbo would you be running?

I'm currently stuck between a few options, and am open to further suggestions (from I have discovered)...
- TD05HRA-16G6C/10.5T (EVO 9 RS turbo)
- Garrett GTX3071R Gen II (EVO 10 turbo upgrade - good for 550hp apparently)
- Garrett G25-550
Ideally something that's making full boost at around 3000-3500rpm.

I don't know what I'll be running. However, it won't be any of those.

Here's why.

The td05's are old as hell technology. They're not a bad turbo, you can just do much better.

GTX3071R is a great turbo. Better off getting a Holset or turbo from Steve Murch for the price you pay as Garrett's are EXPENSIVE (for what you get).

The Garrett 550 turbo looks to be awesome, but once again, same thing as the GTX3071R. Expensive for what you get and similar results can be had from a much cheaper holset based turbo from Murch.

Now I'm not sure what turbo I'll get yet. My build is some time off, but likely I'll either go down the range of EFR's or I will use one of murches new in-house turbos.

BorgWarner EFR series

Cons.

They're god awful expensive.
If you nuke it, good luck getting it rebuilt or fixed.
They're VERY long. So hard to get in the right spot.

PROS:

They're bloody amazing with spool characteristics.
Built in BOV, wastegate and boost controller. Means much less money spent on extra fabrication work and kinda levels the price difference between a Garrett and holset tbh.
All round VERY good turbos when done properly.

Holset/Steve Murch turbos

Conns:
Big turbos. Hard to fit nicely.
A lot of fakes out there (holset). Buy genuine from Murch direct.
No integrated bov or wastegate. Lots of fab (like Garrett).
Holsets can be laggier than the others unless you're twinscroll. This is where Holsets come into their stride.

Pros:
CHEAP. CHEAP. CHEAP!
As long as you've explained your build properly and what you want from the car, Murch can give you exactly or near what you need.
Very sharp pricing on rebuilding turbo or servicing etc.
NZ made and assembled turbos.

That's VERY basic but that's why I'd sway to either of these two, rather than Garrett or an old school TD turbo.

Take your pick, but make sure you really keep your mind open and don't for the love of God pick something just because of its brand name.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Dairusire said:

Holset/Steve Murch turbos

Cons:
Big turbos. Hard to fit nicely.
A lot of fakes out there (holset). Buy genuine from Murch direct.
No integrated bov or wastegate. Lots of fab (like Garrett).
Holsets can be laggier than the others unless you're twinscroll. This is where Holsets come into their stride.

Pros:
CHEAP. CHEAP. CHEAP!
As long as you've explained your build properly and what you want from the car, Murch can give you exactly or near what you need.
Very sharp pricing on rebuilding turbo or servicing etc.
NZ made and assembled turbos.

That's VERY basic but that's why I'd sway to either of these two, rather than Garrett or an old school TD turbo.

Take your pick, but make sure you really keep your mind open and don't for the love of God pick something just because of its brand name.

Liking the sound of Holset/Steve Murch vs the others, as I plan on going Twin Scroll. Hopefully I can fit it in a twisted location in a BE engine bay, with top mount lol. Could even do a bottom mount!

Was just using the Garretts as an example. I agree that they're expensive, but they're pretty dang good for what you get. More so paying for the Garrett name though.

I'm not afraid of the extra fab work needed for an external wastegate - I was gonna go down that path anyway (better boost control). I'll be running a top mount intercooler, for Sleeper & Stealth status, so I can probably get away with a bolt on BOV (speed density too). Probably get GFB stuff, unless there's a local NZ company that makes stuff like wastegates, BOVs and boost controllers etcetera.

I know I'll be making my build expensive lol - but I wanna do it properly. I'm a perfectionist, and this is something I'd love to make so!

8 hours ago, Individualities said:

Liking the sound of Holset/Steve Murch vs the others, as I plan on going Twin Scroll. Hopefully I can fit it in a twisted location in a BE engine bay, with top mount lol. Could even do a bottom mount!

Was just using the Garretts as an example. I agree that they're expensive, but they're pretty dang good for what you get. More so paying for the Garrett name though.

I'm not afraid of the extra fab work needed for an external wastegate - I was gonna go down that path anyway (better boost control). I'll be running a top mount intercooler, for Sleeper & Stealth status, so I can probably get away with a bolt on BOV (speed density too). Probably get GFB stuff, unless there's a local NZ company that makes stuff like wastegates, BOVs and boost controllers etcetera.

I know I'll be making my build expensive lol - but I wanna do it properly. I'm a perfectionist, and this is something I'd love to make so!

If you're wanting to go twin scroll I don't believe the G25 series has twin scroll options yet (check I could be wrong), but do look amazing aerodynamically from what I've read.

• Like 1

• Admin

Have a chat to Tony at DTech. They’re not huge fans of the HRC turbo’s. They do alright but under perform on Subaru’s compared to other brands like Mitsi’s where they really shine.

Garrett's and EFR’s are expensive but they behave well.

@Jono24 has a Holset in his 3rd gen so could get some tips from him for fitment if you do go that route

• Like 2

If you want to keep the top mount you need to read through Boons v7 thread. The engine bay size is similar and i believe it was a tight fit with single scroll.

The hard part about top mount + twin scroll is finding space for the waste gate/s. This may be possible with an efr with integrated gates.

Not to be a downer, but I don't think it will work. I initially intended to try to keep the top mount (I had a very nice hyper flow top mount too) but it was too much hard work.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Have a chat to Tony at DTech. They’re not huge fans of the HRC turbo’s. They do alright but under perform on Subaru’s compared to other brands where they really shine.

Garrett's and EFR’s are expensive but they behave well.

[mention=14450]Jono24[/mention] has a Holset in his 3rd gen so could get some tips from him for fitment if you do go that route
Did we ever see a retune of evowrx/furzes car after the valve springs were replaced?

I thought clint's brothers car was on a gt30 and also made similar power?

I haven't heard of a stock long block of the v7-10 era making anymore than 300kw (in NZ).

• Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Jono24 said:

If you want to keep the top mount you need to read through Boons v7 thread. The engine bay size is similar and i believe it was a tight fit with single scroll.

The hard part about top mount + twin scroll is finding space for the waste gate/s. This may be possible with an efr with integrated gates.

Not to be a downer, but I don't think it will work. I initially intended to try to keep the top mount (I had a very nice hyper flow top mount too) but it was too much hard work.

Did we ever see a retune of evowrx/furzes car after the valve springs were replaced?

I haven't heard of a stock long block of the v7-10 era making anymore than 300kw (in NZ).

Don't think so. Pretty sure it's moved onto someone else now. Dairusire will know all the details.

There was that wagon one DTech did, can't remember the guys name but was in Hamilton then moved down to CHCH, which they apparently had a heap of trouble with as it just wouldn't make the power expected of it.

Oil temps are definitely worth considering. The one plus for them is cheap and easy rebuilds, other brands you're expected to buy a new supercore at a minimum.

Before getting the 3071 Tony had suggested I grab an AirWerks turbo rather than the HRC if wanting a cheap well performing turbo. Oil cooled only, like the Holset.

There’s a heap of variation out there but the later ones borrow Some tech from the EFR’s

This is the one you’d probably compare to a HRC32/2. Can go cheaper again and get the non-enhanced older versions.

S257SX-E

https://www.full-race.com/store/borgwarner-airwerks/borgwarner-s200-sxe-7670-1/

• Like 1

• Admin

Yep Furze still owns it and D tech originally only made 265kw on 98.

SAS did a great job and got 275kw from it on 98 and 302kw on e85. The limiting factor obviously being a factory bottom end and the 1000cc injectors running out of flow thanks to ethanol.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, YoungOne said:

If you're wanting to go twin scroll I don't believe the G25 series has twin scroll options yet (check I could be wrong), but do look amazing aerodynamically from what I've read.

I'm not sure if you pay attention to YouTubers who do car content - Adam LZ has a G25-550 on his SR20 S13 drift car, and that thing is mental! Hence why I mention it.

Probably the only Garrett turbo I'd consider, from what everyone else is saying.

Liking all this discussion too! I'm learning quite a bit! Thanks fellas! :)

• Like 1