Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

1 hour ago, Kiwiflyboy said:

So you can’t have any LED bulbs in the place of standard incandescent bulbs?

You can have them provided that they don't do any of these things:

Stop lamps

(Reasons for rejection)

14. A lamp emits a light that is:

a) not substantially red, or

b) not diffuse, or

c) not projected to the rear, or

d)  not approximately equal in intensity from the other lamp in a pair, or

e) not bright enough to produce a light that is visible from 100m in normal daylight, eg due to modification, deterioration, dirt or an incorrect light source, or

f) is altered, eg due to damage or modification.

Link

Tail lamps

(Reasons for rejection)

12. When switched on, a lamp emits a light that is:

a) not substantially red, or

b) not diffuse, or

c) not projected to the rear, or

d)  not approximately equal in colour or intensity from that of the other lamp in a pair, or

e) not steady, or

f) not bright enough to be visible from 200m in normal darkness, eg due to modification, deterioration, dirt or an incorrect light source, or

g) is altered, eg due to damage or modification.

Link

There is nothing I can find in the VIRM that says you can't have them. The recent law change made the modification of headlamps to use a different kind of bulb illegal (eg HID or LED bulbs in an incandescent housing). LInk

18. A headlamp is retrofitted with a type of light source other than that specified by the vehicle manufacturer or the headlamp manufacturer (eg a headlamp designed for a halogen bulb is fitted with any other type of light source such as an HID or LED bulb, or any other light source such as LED strips or non-OEM angel eyes) (Note 8).

@IZichard was talking to my old boss at the shop I worked at, and he says they're illegal. It's something to do with the "performance" of the retrofit LED bulbs.

He says the VIRM that changed it was INCREDIBLY vague about it - took their lead WoF inspector to calling LTNZ about it, and getting the proper definition out of them.

Probably due to a market flooded with cheap bulbs on Facebook and TradeMe, that are pretty damn average. Sucks for me, as I've only bought Philips/Osram branded bulbs, which actually say that they're better than incandescent bulbs.

This is from what I've heard, and what you hear from someone else might be different. Depends on your inspector too, but for where I take my car, has to have incandescent :(

1 hour ago, Individualities said:

@IZichard was talking to my old boss at the shop I worked at, and he says they're illegal. It's something to do with the "performance" of the retrofit LED bulbs.

He says the VIRM that changed it was INCREDIBLY vague about it - took their lead WoF inspector to calling LTNZ about it, and getting the proper definition out of them.

Probably due to a market flooded with cheap bulbs on Facebook and TradeMe, that are pretty damn average. Sucks for me, as I've only bought Philips/Osram branded bulbs, which actually say that they're better than incandescent bulbs.

This is from what I've heard, and what you hear from someone else might be different. Depends on your inspector too, but for where I take my car, has to have incandescent :(

Unless it can be pointed to a specific line/s in the VIRM that excludes it then it should be a pass. I have read through the stop light and tail section a couple times now and I don’t see anything that excludes LED bulbs for tail/stop lights.
  • Like 3

• Admin

Well, good news is good. The RA is running again after 2 years. Took a while to hunt down and fix the random niggly issues like the fuel leaks and small wiring issues that turned out to be nothing.

Its running on full e85 which is awesome. Narrowband sensor doesn't cut the mustard though as expected haha. So wideband will go in tonight, as will the fuel pressure sensor and I'll try sort ethanol content sensor too

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

• Like 7

• Admin
On 2/12/2019 at 4:55 PM, RaKid said:

Bloody hell - is the exhaust even on?

LOL NOPE

not staying like that, but gotta have a little fun eh ;)

Also, made a purchase this morning as I needed a new BOV. Couldn't help myself but get something a little coloruful haha

race-port-gen-v-purple-ts-0204-1133.jpg?i=-dJETfKBd23LP3qyJpBn2vh5OO5Kjwy0beUvZX964WBDGluY7dwuKimPIOErDovShGGOi5O77aUJIZ0clWzeURZfv0xls8_n0x7E5yUh_9nuaduAWep6_M5EOYpiykEOh89XT8lYrL00i1AEilXlzvHjrB6okf4mVjiE87G3YlOj-KBgUAebIhIFhZzFGg4FpsSpasChfAxC7xd0xt664WUFOaCVVNC562YtNTFuTssFSs_NffdXegk_a50Xr53T3B8vmtC8j_nr5orxj7ai8w~~

• Like 3

On 2/12/2019 at 0:23 PM, Dairusire said:

Well, good news is good. The RA is running again after 2 years. Took a while to hunt down and fix the random niggly issues like the fuel leaks and small wiring issues that turned out to be nothing.

Its running on full e85 which is awesome. Narrowband sensor doesn't cut the mustard though as expected haha. So wideband will go in tonight, as will the fuel pressure sensor and I'll try sort ethanol content sensor too

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

That's awesome mate, so ... when is it going to a track? B|