Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

Making a digital day/logger work raspberry pi. Can either run Android with ecu software, or rasbian with full version of tuner studio so I can actually make adjustments and setup triggered logging as my ECU has no onboard logging.5470f7741842640d513845195920b011.jpg1d66c2f131bf2f1adddc9ede1e2b847b.jpg

Sent from my M6 Note using Tapatalk

• Like 6

• Admin
22 minutes ago, AdamOst said:

Making a digital day/logger work raspberry pi. Can either run Android with ecu software, or rasbian with full version of tuner studio so I can actually make adjustments and setup triggered logging as my ECU has no onboard logging.5470f7741842640d513845195920b011.jpg1d66c2f131bf2f1adddc9ede1e2b847b.jpg

Love it. Wish other ECU’s had better support for systems other than Windows..

Yeah this was nice as I already had one to test. Megasquirt 2 doesn't have onboard memory or SD card for logging so this seems like a fairly easy and cheap easy of doing it. And means I can make tuning changes if I don't have a laptop on me. Plus I can run autotune on long road trips without worrying about battery life.

I have a relay for my wideband that only powers up when the car actually starts so I'll use the same source to power this, have tuner studio auto start and connect and trigger logging over 75% tps.

I was going to just use a tablet, but when I have a tablet connected it drains the device battery super fast and it seems a pain to fine to make or buy a cable that both charges and does usb otg at the same time so this solves that.

• Like 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

Love it. Wish other ECU’s had better support for systems other than Windows..

This looks bad-ass. I'm very limited with the logs on my G4 - do you know if I can purchase or make something like this to have infinite log storage?

13 minutes ago, Dairusire said:

I got bored of trying to figure out what was wrong with my wiring for the link CAN lambda. $100 later I've bought CAN Wiring to plug into link to the wideband

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Photos!

• Admin
2 hours ago, RaKid said:

This looks bad-ass. I'm very limited with the logs on my G4 - do you know if I can purchase or make something like this to have infinite log storage?

Photos!

Easy peasy! 

For those who are putting in CAN stuff, I'd honestly suggest just buying these patch looms instead because honestly it makes life easier. 

Also acquired the plug and terminated loom for the Fuel pressure sensor to make things easier. 

All of this stuff can be gotten from the obvious NZEFI  but it's not hugely cheap but it saves your own time and hassle.

Oooohh and Haltech also make this as well, which I'm likely going to buy because I do expect I'll expand my range of CAN equipment. 

https://www.haltech.com/product/ht-159000-elite-can-hub-4-port-dtm-4/

HT-159000_00.JPG

NZEFI-Link-G4-Wire-in-ECU-to-CAN-Dash-Ca

NZEFI-Link-G4-G4-Dual-Device-CAN-Extensi

Pressure-Sensor-Connector-Flying-Lead.jp

• Admin
7 minutes ago, Gripless said:

SocketCAN?

Some CAN bus interface cards can have pre filters you can set so they only pass through those events that come from a select address range to the serial/USB port connected to the laptop or Pi.

I wonder if it's got that, but I doubt it at it's price point. Think it's just socket.

• Admin

So other than my random purchases of the day, at lunch I went down to BD Motorsport and got the blow off valve welded on! Looks blimmen good if I don't mind saying so myself. 

BK4MO6x.png

fgZAHXL.png

Also check out the size of this turbo!!! Huuuuuuge Garrett. Can literally put my whole hand in the intake it's so large.

eBU7oi7.png

dOf8vHh.png

XPvRlQN.png

Couple shots of how I've got the fuel system stacked in there. it's a bit tight and could do with some more alignment but for the time being it'll do well.

B6kSfNL.png

9Vs1vR5.png

• Like 7

On 2/18/2019 at 10:00 AM, AdamOst said:

good work, did you solve the tablet power problem ?

reminds me of

:D

10396d1369784727-fast-furious-6-image-82

• Admin

Got the new wiring for the CAN stuff and installed it completely today. tried turning on, nada. 

After lots of more testing for something that should've been a 10 minute job, it turned into hours of head scratching. 

Turns out after voltage/continuity/resistance testing on the ECU side pre-terminated stuff I got isn't doing great. 

Voltage in the line 1cm before connector... 12.8V... 

Voltage at the connector terminal??? 3.3V. 

and obviously with a bunch of resistance all over the place
Oh kay then. 

Can I haz my $40+gst back now? 

• Admin

@Dairusire Have you actually pulled the pins out of the connectors/ pulled heat shrink to see how they’ve wired in the resistor?

Got sick of thinking about fuel pump controllers and after a yarn with Dave from PF I've grabbed a DTP connector and just wired the B+ and Ground wires to the FP+ and FP- so it runs 100% all the time. 

10 hours ago, Dairusire said:

Voltage in the line 1cm before connector... 12.8V... 

Voltage at the connector terminal??? 3.3V. 

and obviously with a bunch of resistance all over the place
Oh kay then. 

Can I haz my $40+gst back now? 

Canbus is 3.3v or 5v like most logic circuits isn’t it?

• Like 2

• Admin
2 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

@Dairusire Have you actually pulled the pins out of the connectors/ pulled heat shrink to see how they’ve wired in the resistor?

No I haven't, but I called them and they've stated that there isn't a resistor in the wiring.

1 hour ago, Gripless said:

Canbus is 3.3v or 5v like most logic circuits isn’t it?

In this example, no. I don't know much about other units, but the Link CAN-Lambda specifically requires 12v as specified in it's wiring diagrams.

• Admin
8 minutes ago, Dairusire said:

No I haven't, but I called them and they've stated that there isn't a resistor in the wiring.

Unless the Link is internally terminated it should have one unless the loom is super short and simple.

Doesn't explain the volt drop though. Could be they didn't strip one of the wires properly so there isn't a decent connection between the wire and terminal.

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Unless the Link is internally terminated it should have one unless the loom is super short and simple.

Doesn't explain the volt drop though. Could be they didn't strip one of the wires properly so there isn't a decent connection between the wire and terminal.

Yeah the loom is at maximum 1.4M accounting for all connections on all sides. 200mm for wiring from Lambda, 1M for the extension loom, and 200MM for the pinout loom into ECU. That's it. 

It's about as simple as it gets. I'm going to try slicing open the heat-shrinking tonight and fixing this as I want the car running. 

The voltage drop is my key point of issue, but I'll re-terminate the whole lot if I have to. 

EDIT:

To also add, I grabbed the link wideband/lambda unit, removed the extension loom from the equation, and plugged it directly into the pinout loom, which makes it a 400mm run. It still wouldn't work or detect. Just if you're curious. 

• Admin
Just now, Andy_Mac said:

Another dumb question, is CAN actually turned on on your ECU? Link has telemetry turned off from factory apparently.

Not sure how it applies for sensor inputs but needs to be on for outputs such as gauges/displays

No such thing as a dumb question! I was hoping user error myself, because user error is far simpler to fix time wise. It is unfortunately/fortunately(???) turned on and all configured correctly as confirmed by Adam at link. 

• Like 1