Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

well, after crashing my street triple in march 2018, and the subsequent rehab process, then 6 weeks around europe over christmas, returning to nz to then biff my daytona, and subsequent healing time, i've come to some decisions. 

a few people know about the build saga thats happening with my v7. please do watch this space. 

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, pedro said:

That 4 wheels are better for your health ?

LOL christ no, with a popped ac joint in my left shoulder and a broken collarbone in my right, im chomping at the bit to get back out on the bike. 

its an addiction even a supercar couldnt match in terms of acceleration and... intensity. 200kmh along pukekohe back straight, before buttoning off early for the chicane, the acceleration is phenominal, and they are only "small" 675 cc triples. im looking at an MT09 sp next... 

but no, car related decisions. cant say much as its messy as hell, but yeah.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JordanfromNZ said:

Great choice. Feedback so far?

Doesn't arrive for a week or two, but I'll post more then. The WRX is definitely a better-handling car, more mechanical, and more connected to the driver. The Stinger is a GT car so a lot more relaxing place to be, closer to a Legacy in size and intent, but also blazingly fast in a straight line. Likely to be a handful in the winter as well.

• Like 2

Come to the conclusion that my time has come with my S401. It'll be leaving my hands in the coming months, as I simply cannot afford to own and run it with my other half wanting to do lots of road trips, as she's seen a lot of the world, but barely any of NZ (I'm the opposite lol).

I've already found its new owner, which is a good friend of mine. He'll be continuing what I set out to do with it, which is tastefully mod it, namely on the suspension side - he's not too keen to change the engine up.

What will I be replacing it with? Well... a motorbike for starters - a 2019 Royal Enfield Continental GT, and as for the car, a 2010-2013 Mazda 6 GSX wagon (the update one, as they get a lot of extras standard vs the release model). Having one of those will enable road trips for the both of us, and also her to drive it, as she's not a confident manual driver, and the Mazda will be auto.

I do plan to own another Subaru in my future, but the time is not now. Probably when my grey hairs start to develop lol.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Individualities said:

Come to the conclusion that my time has come with my S401. It'll be leaving my hands in the coming months, as I simply cannot afford to own and run it with my other half wanting to do lots of road trips, as she's seen a lot of the world, but barely any of NZ (I'm the opposite lol).

I've already found its new owner, which is a good friend of mine. He'll be continuing what I set out to do with it, which is tastefully mod it, namely on the suspension side - he's not too keen to change the engine up.

What will I be replacing it with? Well... a motorbike for starters - a 2019 Royal Enfield Continental GT, and as for the car, a 2010-2013 Mazda 6 GSX wagon (the update one, as they get a lot of extras standard vs the release model). Having one of those will enable road trips for the both of us, and also her to drive it, as she's not a confident manual driver, and the Mazda will be auto.

I do plan to own another Subaru in my future, but the time is not now. Probably when my grey hairs start to develop lol.

Must have been a hard decision to make

Atleas it will still be in the family more or less. 

1 hour ago, Batbaruman said:

started researching seriously in to GRB and talking to someone about his one for sale.

it’s $10 and a 40 min train ride to get it from the city on Monday B| long lunch time and you’re done

• Like 3

17 hours ago, bigDnz said:

Must have been a hard decision to make

At least it will still be in the family more or less. 

Was a hard decision to make thinking of it going to someone I didn't really know. But when my friend expressed serious interest, it was just so much easier.

My bike will be my manual experience for quite a while anyway. I want to enjoy life as much I can, and driving round NZ on those adventures is something the S401 isn't very good at (fuel consumption). The Mazda will probably do me for quite a while as they're very practical cars, that go really well for what they are. Only thing I don't like is the 5 speed auto... but that's very minor.

• Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Individualities said:

Was a hard decision to make thinking of it going to someone I didn't really know. But when my friend expressed serious interest, it was just so much easier.

My bike will be my manual experience for quite a while anyway. I want to enjoy life as much I can, and driving round NZ on those adventures is something the S401 isn't very good at (fuel consumption). The Mazda will probably do me for quite a while as they're very practical cars, that go really well for what they are. Only thing I don't like is the 5 speed auto... but that's very minor.

Why not just do the smart thing and let the GF get the practical touring car then you can keep all the toys....

That's the kind of winning strategy I'm working with xD:ph34r:

• Like 3

I had a ”pleasure” of driving a 2016 or 17 Mazda 6 wagon for two weeks as an insurance loaner. Fuel consumption wasn't anything spectacular at all. Noisy engine that you have to push hard. Very basic multimedia etc.

In all honesty I'd rather drive a 4th or 5th gen Legacy than that Mazda.

• Like 2

On 24/03/2019 at 3:35 PM, Gripless said:

it’s $10 and a 40 min train ride to get it from the city on Monday B| long lunch time and you’re done

Gotta line up the sale of the old one atleast lol, or unless he's happy to go a little lower on price and tempt me right to it :P GOnna quote my post from garage thread to spam the word out there about old one bein for sale, in case anyone out there would know I'll appreciate it.

Skyline on TradeMe now. I'm actually willing to go a lot lower than listed price and undercut the others, as I got a great deal when i bought it anyway. If you know of someone that might be interested, let me know and will be in touch. Sooner this goes the sooner I get in my new GRB :) 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/1999641359

On 3/24/2019 at 5:27 PM, Andy_Mac said:

Why not just do the smart thing and let the GF get the practical touring car then you can keep all the toys....

That's the kind of winning strategy I'm working with xD:ph34r:

Haha, Nah. She needs her own wheels. I can't afford to keep the Subaru and buy a Mazda.

At least the Subaru is going to a good home in my eyes.

The missus will probably get a motorbike of her own in the future, so no need to worry about keeping all the toys for myself!

23 hours ago, sobanoodle said:

I had a ”pleasure” of driving a 2016 or 17 Mazda 6 wagon for two weeks as an insurance loaner. Fuel consumption wasn't anything spectacular at all. Noisy engine that you have to push hard. Very basic multimedia etc.

Was that a GLX 2.0? I'm not wanting one of those. The 2.0 isn't a good engine in the 6 in my opinion. Definitely getting a GSX with a 2.5 petrol. Dad has a 2017 2.2 diesel Limited which is actually pretty quick.

I'm ideally going for a release model 2013/14 GJ chassis GSX 2.5 petrol. Has the older TomTom satnav system in it, but it'll do for what I want. Comes a hell of a lot better equipped than the older GH chassis ones in terms of tech and that.

Edited by Individualities

On 3/24/2019 at 9:49 PM, sobanoodle said:

Sounds like the pov-spec 2.0L, mainly used for company/fleet/rental use unfortunately. Sure, they're no Legacy, but the higher trim diesel and incoming 2.5 turbo aren't a bad combo at all. The kit & safety features the new Mazda's come with, considering the price point is impressive. They definitely lack the refinement you get out of similar era BMW/Audi/Merc, but at half the price its unfair to compare

Sorry, just read the 2.5L comment

Edited by Nachoooo
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 10:24 PM, Nachoooo said:

Sounds like the pov-spec 2.0L, mainly used for company/fleet/rental use unfortunately. Sure, they're no Legacy, but the higher trim diesel and incoming 2.5 turbo aren't a bad combo at all. The kit & safety features the new Mazda's come with, considering the price point is impressive. They definitely lack the refinement you get out of similar era BMW/Audi/Merc, but at half the price its unfair to compare

Sorry, just read the 2.5L comment

Seconded.

The incoming SkyActiv-X engine is pretty darn neato too. A lot of other manufacturers have been trying to crack compression ignition with petrol for years reliably, but Mazda has some how done it (SUPER lean fuel mixture essentially). It's due out in the new Mazda 3 sometime late this year, or very early 2020 (Europe gets the engine first due to emmisons regulations over there).

Also, the next Mazda 6 is being co-developed with Toyota on a shared platform. Rumours circulating is that the platform is coming from BMW, so we could see a RWD Mazda 6, or higher model (Mazda 9? after the 929 of past) in future. Next Mazda 6 will be 2020 release anyway, so I doubt that the platform will be BMW, but definitely developed with Toyota. Toyota already rebadges a few Mazda cars for various markets, and Mazda makes a Hybrid Axela (3 in Japan) which is basically Mazda 2.0L, with Toyota Prius transmission/hybrid unit.

Finally now that I’m home with all the garage gear and driveway space I can clean parts of the car that have been neglected.

Today was the wheels lights and exhaust.

Wheels had curbing thanks to my wife so thought I’d try and sand the outer lip and see how that looks came up sweet and will keep me happy till the tyres need to be replaced b69189c2bb3802ffe53252b35d3f7e51.jpg
237bea5a9e894eaa6ac5f4179f4aa21f.jpg

Exhaust was an easy clean with some metal polish and bit of arm muscle2b421b81b46c151d47b441212a764a20.jpg2209334a359b76de932abac8a55073aa.jpg

Headlights were super nasty yellow from
Being outside at Wellington airport for almost 8 months. Used rainx kit that including a sealant to hopefully make it last longer. Will see if it really works fc71876d49408c1025c2e2b574017ddb.jpga83497e2a02215749904f77127a0e708.jpg4b09f331e1f25508f25ef49913de64c1.jpg

Tomorrow’s job is wash and wax and and clean the inside. Once I paid the duty for the whiteline gear that will be installed as well.

• Like 3