• Current Donation Goals

Guest keltik

What have you done to your car today?

22,062 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Conducks said:

Ordered a invidia downpipe from the states, gonna get a ecutek remap and dyno tune done when it arrives. Bye bye warranty... but the way I see it if anything was gonna go wrong it would have already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is mine with a remap, good gains for a completely standard car

1 person likes this

Here is mine with a remap, good gains for a completely standard car  

That’s like 270kw at the crank! Looking forward to see what mine does with a downpipe and CAI

That’s like 270kw at the crank! Looking forward to see what mine does with a downpipe and CAI

no one cares about crank figures. wheels is where it matters

Sent from my Baked potato using Telekinesis

2 people like this

8 minutes ago, 94 Leone said:

Actually the bum is where it matters.

4 people like this

I prefer boasting crank figures. Otherwise it’s an unfair comparison between rwd and awd cars

5 minutes ago, Conducks said:

I prefer boasting crank figures. Otherwise it’s an unfair comparison between rwd and awd cars

Why exactly is it unfair?

Unless talking stock figures you never accurately know what the crank figures are so it’s completely pointless as you just chuck a few more percent at the guestimated driveline loss to bump what the crank may see

1 person likes this

Awd the power is split front and rear so they show less at the wheel, idk crank power is a personal preference, there’s the argument all dyno’s read differently too. Some in the states show the 2015 STi stock is 200kw at the wheel but then the one posted in this thread is only 150kw at the wheel

then it makes your victory all the more sweeter.

then it makes your victory all the more sweeter.

It’s just a number on paper anyway, there’s weight and drag as well, I did a pull race in my stock STi which is meant to be 225kw crank vs a built and tuned 400kw at the wheel JZX90 and I had him off the mark from a 60 roll, he caught up. But I had that moment of “I’m winning”

Yea dyno inconsistancy is definately a real thing but is still more accurate than chucking a random percentage at a wheel figure and saying thats what the crank makes, then you open up the argument of whether it should be a percentage or a set power loss which would stay the same at higher power levels.

I’d be mildly concerned that this model needs to exist though. Same part number as the one you’re getting but with an A slapped on the end.

I know they had steering knuckle clearance issues with US designed Invidia (plus others) DP’s on RHD 4th gen Legacy’s so might find a similar issue with this one unless you’ve done the research and found some other RHD ones running the one you’re getting.

http://www.carmodsaustralia.com.au/catless-down-pipe-australian-spec-wrx-sti-08-14.html

2 people like this

Yea dyno inconsistancy is definately a real thing but is still more accurate than chucking a random percentage at a wheel figure and saying thats what the crank makes, then you open up the argument of whether it should be a percentage or a set power loss which would stay the same at higher power levels.

I’d be mildly concerned that this model needs to exist though. Same part number as the one you’re getting but with an A slapped on the end.
I know they had steering knuckle clearance issues with US designed Invidia (plus others) DP’s on RHD 4th gen Legacy’s so might find a similar issue with this one unless you’ve done the research and found some other RHD ones running the one you’re getting.
http://www.carmodsaustralia.com.au/catless-down-pipe-australian-spec-wrx-sti-08-14.html

Always thought that might be an issue, if that’s the case I’ll get the downpipe modified, just didn’t wanna have my car off the road otherwise I would’ve had a custom one made

1 person likes this

Calculating flywheel figures with a percentage loss is utter bullshit.

The only way to get a true crank figure is with an engine dyno. 

8 people like this

What does any of it matter? It's all just numbers. Times at a track or drag strip are a better reference.

But what makes you smile is the most important given how much cars cost to modify!

Edited by Munkvy
3 people like this

Just now, Munkvy said:

What does any of it matter? It's all just numbers. Times at a track of drag strip are a better reference.

But what makes you smile is the most important given how much cars cost to modify!

Buuuttt S*** drivers can have powerful cars that give S*** times...

The latter is bang on the money.

1 minute ago, evowrx said:

Buuuttt S*** drivers can have powerful cars that give S*** times...

The latter is bang on the money.

Yeah its fun beating on powerful cars!

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Conducks said:

Awd the power is split front and rear so they show less at the wheel, idk crank power is a personal preference, there’s the argument all dyno’s read differently too. Some in the states show the 2015 STi stock is 200kw at the wheel but then the one posted in this thread is only 150kw at the wheel

young dude , you do know it's total power at all the driven wheels, not per wheel.

unless you can cheat physics, all 4wd cars will have more transmission losses.

:D

Edited by newsuba
2 people like this

Where people go wrong is they stipulate a percentage for drivetrain loss say 15% for arguments sake to get crank power. Then they calculate that for a V7 sti with 160wkw and use the same calculation for a V7 sti with 300wkw with exactly the same drivetrain.

You do the math...

Engine dyno or bust.

2 people like this

I just made a post in the Australian 2015+ WRX/STi owners group and got this response. I should’ve checked first - Guess I got lucky. If any other VA chassis owners are curious here’s your answer.

0821c26036725a5a4c2cefad5b8021c9.png

4 hours ago, Munkvy said:

Yeah its fun beating on powerful cars!

You get used to it :D

From my (limited) track experience, the person behind the wheel is far more important than the car.

I passed a few porsche gt3 rs, caterhams or maserati but the drivers were beginners and I've done a few trackdays, nothing to be proud of here. And maybe they just want to be safe and don't want to damage their car.

At the same time, I have friends that have been doing trackdays for years and years and one of them is as fast as me with a slower car (50hp less, less agressive suspension). That makes really fun battles as I really don't want him to pass me with a slower car :P

Cleaned the wagon, removed the twin subs and replaced it with a better single sub, also anyone know what this switch does? Want to use it to switch the sub on and off88739cbcab706e0424a90712ca8df03b.jpg

1 hour ago, McMatty said:

Cleaned the wagon, removed the twin subs and replaced it with a better single sub, also anyone know what this switch does? Want to use it to switch the sub on and off88739cbcab706e0424a90712ca8df03b.jpg

Wiper blade de icer

Edited by scratch
Mistake

1 hour ago, McMatty said:

Rear demister at a guess?

2 minutes ago, scratch said:

Wiper blade de icer

1 minute ago, evowrx said:

Rear demister at a guess?

Dunno aye, because the rear demister/de icer is on the AC controls 

1 minute ago, McMatty said:

Dunno aye, because the rear demister/de icer is on the AC controls 

Sorry, clarification: Front wiper blade de-icer, not much use in nz.

Sorry, clarification: Front wiper blade de-icer, not much use in nz.
Oh, will come in handy then, thankyou