• Current Donation Goals

Guest keltik

What have you done to your car today?

21,809 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

None of the good stuff down here. Hence considering meth. Would be cool to see how far it can be pushed but any sidesteps just makes the engine/real turbo setup further away.

@pl0x’s suggestion of a boost pressurised system is an interesting one. Have never come across that before, far fewer parts to potentially fail which is a big positive.

I looked at Aquamist water/methanol injection awhile ago pre e85 available in Auckland and availability of flex fuel.Liked the idea of Aquamist because of the built in failsafe features.Because of the way the engine is tuned for water/methanol injection,if it fails you may cause engine damage.My thoughts on water/methanol injection,not really suitable for a daily road car.Probably better to do the job properly and build a better engine with the appropriate sized turbo or at least up size your turbo.

Edited by Dre

12 hours ago, gotasuby said:

Have you tried silcock transport? He's a rally car driver so good to deal with. 

Just spoke to them about 15 ago, and it's about $1100+Gst with them.

2 minutes ago, Dairusire said:

Just spoke to them about 15 ago, and it's about $1100+Gst with them.

Have you looked at hiring a car trailer.

11 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

None of the good stuff down here. Hence considering meth. Would be cool to see how far it can be pushed but any sidesteps just makes the engine/real turbo setup further away.

@pl0x’s suggestion of a boost pressurised system is an interesting one. Have never come across that before, far fewer parts to potentially fail which is a big positive.

I haven't found too much detail on exactly how it is controlled, gather what you can from here: http://www.themotorhood.com/themotorhood/2016/11/17/cool-combustion-water-meth-injection

22 minutes ago, Dre said:

I looked at Aquamist water/methanol injection awhile ago pre e85 available in Auckland and availability of flex fuel.Liked the idea of Aquamist because of the built in failsafe features.Because of the way the engine is tuned for water/methanol injection,if it fails you may cause engine damage.My thoughts on water/methanol injection,not really suitable for a daily road car.Probably better to do the job properly and build a better engine with the appropriate sized turbo or at least up size your turbo.

I agree I wouldn't be running WM daily, but have it on a switch for drives/events etc. switch could also turn on higher timing/boost and pull fuel.

I think for a road car water meth is better than e85. No issues with it sitting/having to flush or going off, no need to upgrade fuel system completely. But without a good fail-safe(s) or knock control, it can be engine gone if it fails.

I've got knock control plus a pressure sensor pre WM nozzle, which needs to be over a certain pressure to trigger the higher boost map and pull fuel. Also hooked up to a light if it isn't meeting the pressure.

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Dre said:

The AEM setup is very similar with failsafes. All personal preference really, Aquamist seems to be rated slightly better by most. 

1 hour ago, pl0x said:

I haven't found too much detail on exactly how it is controlled, gather what you can from here: http://www.themotorhood.com/themotorhood/2016/11/17/cool-combustion-water-meth-injection

I agree I wouldn't be running WM daily, but have it on a switch for drives/events etc. switch could also turn on higher timing/boost and pull fuel.

I think for a road car water meth is better than e85. No issues with it sitting/having to flush or going off, no need to upgrade fuel system completely. But without a good fail-safe(s) or knock control, it can be engine gone if it fails.

I've got knock control plus a pressure sensor pre WM nozzle, which needs to be over a certain pressure to trigger the higher boost map and pull fuel. Also hooked up to a light if it isn't meeting the pressure.

Mines not a daily so having it essentially always on isn't a major. What's the life of e85 anyway? 

Don't think it's really worth my while at this point though. Better off putting that money towards building the new engine.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Dre said:

Have you looked at hiring a car trailer.

I've now decided it's cheaper for me to just get the RA running with the WRX motor I've got in it than it is to trailer/transport it down haha. So I'll do that this weekend.

3 people like this

Used the tow bar on the wife’s outback for a changeb54c6087f7d6093ed8bb32028502650b.jpg
Are you still in chch? Do any diving? Hit me up if you do, we have a scuba group in chch.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Got new lexan rear screen fitted... so all windows are in now. The screen was a lot bigger than the standard one... so no room for any trim.

1 person likes this