• Announcements

    • 1randomkiwi

      ClubSub Forum Updates   13/03/19

      Important forum upgrades are coming up which may mean the www.ClubSUB.org.nz forums will be temporarily unavailable.   Check out our Official Facebook Page for more updates.   www.facebook.com/ClubSubNZ
  • Current Donation Goals

Guest keltik

What have you done to your car today?

22,104 posts in this topic

Asking out of clarification - 

What's the rules around running replacement LED bulbs in your stop/tail etcetera sockets? Basically all my external and interior bulbs are LED (not low/high beam and fog lights - they're all extra bright models though).

I know it's now illegal to run HID/LED in sockets meant for halogen originally.

Friend of mine said that LEDs now have to SAE approved?

 

Just asking for clarification on my end, as I don't really want to have to do away with a few hundred dollars worth of LEDs :(, and the cool factor of them :P

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Individualities said:

Asking out of clarification - 

What's the rules around running replacement LED bulbs in your stop/tail etcetera sockets? 

Have a read for yourself.

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/lighting/rearward-facing-position-lamps

 

That is for tail lamps, I can’t see any reason for rejection. The criteria they would need to meet to justify a failure.

a) not substantially red, or

b) not diffuse, or

c) not projected to the rear, or

d) not approximately equal in colour or intensity from that of the other lamp in a pair, or

e) not steady, or

f) not bright enough to be visible from 200m in normal darkness, eg due to modification, deterioration, dirt or an incorrect light source, or

g) is altered, eg due to damage or modification.

 

The only difficult one is g) but that is unbelievably vague. I doubt you would have any issues with LED tail light bulbs.

 

 

Here is the law on stop lamps

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/lighting/stop-lamps

 

Have a read through this too but it says much of the same and doesn’t specify LED bulbs as an issue.

 

Remember the complete VIRM is freely accessible for everyone so if your ever unsure on something or feel an inspector has failed without reason then it is good to have a read through it.

 

Hope that helps

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IZichard said:

Have a read for yourself.

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/lighting/rearward-facing-position-lamps

 

That is for tail lamps, I can’t see any reason for rejection. The criteria they would need to meet to justify a failure.

a) not substantially red, or

b) not diffuse, or

c) not projected to the rear, or

d) not approximately equal in colour or intensity from that of the other lamp in a pair, or

e) not steady, or

f) not bright enough to be visible from 200m in normal darkness, eg due to modification, deterioration, dirt or an incorrect light source, or

g) is altered, eg due to damage or modification.

 

The only difficult one is g) but that is unbelievably vague. I doubt you would have any issues with LED tail light bulbs.

 

 

Here is the law on stop lamps

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/lighting/stop-lamps

 

Have a read through this too but it says much of the same and doesn’t specify LED bulbs as an issue.

 

Remember the complete VIRM is freely accessible for everyone so if your ever unsure on something or feel an inspector has failed without reason then it is good to have a read through it.

 

Hope that helps

 

That is incredibly vague. The LEDs I have bought are designed to diffuse light in a similar, or even better manner compared to a incandescent.

 

Asked my old boss, from when I was mechanic. Turns out that retrofitted LEDs aren't allowed at all anymore. All I could find myself about them is that retrofitted LEDs don't meet the "performance" of manufacturer specified bulbs (incandescent). I think it's BS personally, as all the LEDs I have bought are either Osram or Philips branded, which diffuse light better than incandescent bulbs. Plus they're all like $50 a pair, and I have 6 pairs in my car.

So for a WoF, I'll need to swap them all back to incandescent - get the WoF, and put all the LEDs back in. My old boss prefers them as they respond faster, and don't appear to have a warm up time (to the naked eye).

 

Gonna tag @1randomkiwi here, as I know he's nuts on his LEDs too.

 

Edit: interior retrofitted LEDs are OK. It's just the exterior ones.

Edited by Individualities

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

F***!

bad melting burning smell from engine.

 

turns out the AC pump clutch has shat itself. Most likely from the relay having faults as no the whole fan control unit in the dash is dead. On relay won't come out so guess it time to pull the fuse box apart :(

 

lucky I had a box cutter in the car from the IC pipe fitting and just cut the belt off the dead clutch pulley. 

Car goes better than ever revs better idles so smooth.

Just really really hot with no AC

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do not really understand what you really gain by swapping standard bulbs with LED in case of brake lights.

 

Brighter overall (especially in daylight) - questionable.

Improve/modernise appearance - how? Still a single source of light in the same housing.

 

I totally get it when people want to LED their parking lights as those look massively outdated with incandescent bulbs.

 

----------------------------------------------

 

Finally switched to non-runflat tyres. What a change, transformed the car significantly!

 

245/35/20 at the front and 275/30/20 at the rear. Did not realise how massive 275/30 look when off a rim...

 

Would highly recommend Tyretech on Archers road for those in Auckland. Very competitive prices and good service. 

 

 

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Individualities said:

 

That is incredibly vague. The LEDs I have bought are designed to diffuse light in a similar, or even better manner compared to a incandescent.

 

Asked my old boss, from when I was mechanic. Turns out that retrofitted LEDs aren't allowed at all anymore.


Despite that, ultimately it's at the inspectors discretion... The practical concern I see is a flooded market of cheaper LED's that don't have a discernible brightness difference between tail light and brake light functions. Whilst OSRAM and Philips are quality brands and make these claims, it's all how the bulb performs in the lamp itself in the real word day and night

Save yourself the hassle, if the bulbs are safe take it for an inspection an see if they fail before doing all that work

 

17 minutes ago, sobanoodle said:

Do not really understand what you really gain by swapping standard bulbs with LED in case of brake lights.

----------------------------------------------

Finally switched to non-runflat tyres. What a change, transformed the car significantly!


One argument is no 'warm-up' time compared to traditional filament bulbs where LED are instant on. We're talking miliseconds here but...

Re runflats; That's gotta be one of the best mods you'll make for handling and road noise! What tyres have you gone with as replacement?

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well my nuked Mazda motor is certainly a lot more exciting than when I ran a bearing in my sti.

e98b4e56d4e002ed94ab03e81337ab17.jpgf3c7e6c1c254eeded7f7ec0a510459b1.jpgc5f428b7a225c5b03a427a2c57c7f2b5.jpg271964f447a05b4e82396db3020de7aa.jpgd1bc1ddfe997b00a5b9cc4ed111a5122.jpg

Sent from my M6 Note using Tapatalk

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Nachoooo said:

Re runflats; That's gotta be one of the best mods you'll make for handling and road noise! What tyres have you gone with as replacement?

 

Pretty much yep, bloody hated the runflats.

 

Went from Dunlop GT to Dunlop 050+. Didn't want to donate a kidney for a set of Michelins and decided not to go with RE003.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Used the wagon to pick up this bad boy

X7ienpG.jpg

Unfortunately the play/race car fund has taken a financial hit.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, SpeedySub said:

Used the wagon to pick up this bad boy

X7ienpG.jpg

Unfortunately the play/race car fund has taken a financial hit.

 

Sexy. Have always regretted selling my old beast.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Andy_Mac said:

 

Sexy. Have always regretted selling my old beast.

You're the 3rd person to say that today. Pity it's towards the bike and not me 😂

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

 

Sexy. Have always regretted selling my old beast.

Wait till you see my helmet.......

 

 

 

 

 

 

DaGhuQ1.jpg

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

 

Sexy.

 

Know nothing about these but find it rather sexy too.

 

May be it's the colour for me rather than a technical side of things... 😂 Was following a huge Jag sedan yesterday in a similar frosted gun metal, looked rather sexy too. 

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2019 at 3:08 PM, Nachoooo said:


Despite that, ultimately it's at the inspectors discretion... The practical concern I see is a flooded market of cheaper LED's that don't have a discernible brightness difference between tail light and brake light functions. Whilst OSRAM and Philips are quality brands and make these claims, it's all how the bulb performs in the lamp itself in the real word day and night
Save yourself the hassle, if the bulbs are safe take it for an inspection an see if they fail before doing all that work


One argument is no 'warm-up' time compared to traditional filament bulbs where LED are instant on. We're talking miliseconds here but...

 

I'll swap them out, as I take my car to the local Testing Station, which I've found to be strict, but fair at the same time. I'll swap em back once I have my WoF :P 

I'll NEVER take my car to VTNZ - I've found them to be pretty strict, and also not helped by a guy there not liking my car, and calling it a fake because of the chassis code being "BES" not "BE5"

I'm gonna play it safe, as I don't know what will happen. And I'd rather my car pass a WoF cleanly, than fail for a simple thing like retrofitted LEDs.

 

The warm-up time is something OSRAM and Philips both advertise. LEDs react basically instantly. Plus, LEDs are just, cool in my mind.

Edited by Individualities

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2019 at 10:27 AM, Individualities said:

That is incredibly vague. The LEDs I have bought are designed to diffuse light in a similar, or even better manner compared to a incandescent.

Asked my old boss, from when I was mechanic. Turns out that retrofitted LEDs aren't allowed at all anymore. All I could find myself about them is that retrofitted LEDs don't meet the "performance" of manufacturer specified bulbs (incandescent). I think it's BS personally, as all the LEDs I have bought are either Osram or Philips branded, which diffuse light better than incandescent bulbs. Plus they're all like $50 a pair, and I have 6 pairs in my car.

So for a WoF, I'll need to swap them all back to incandescent - get the WoF, and put all the LEDs back in. My old boss prefers them as they respond faster, and don't appear to have a warm up time (to the naked eye).

Gonna tag @1randomkiwi here, as I know he's nuts on his LEDs too.

Edit: interior retrofitted LEDs are OK. It's just the exterior ones.

 

On 1/12/2019 at 2:43 PM, sobanoodle said:

Do not really understand what you really gain by swapping standard bulbs with LED in case of brake lights.

Brighter overall (especially in daylight) - questionable.

Improve/modernise appearance - how? Still a single source of light in the same housing.

I totally get it when people want to LED their parking lights as those look massively outdated with incandescent bulbs.

 

On 1/12/2019 at 3:08 PM, Nachoooo said:

Despite that, ultimately it's at the inspectors discretion... The practical concern I see is a flooded market of cheaper LED's that don't have a discernible brightness difference between tail light and brake light functions. Whilst OSRAM and Philips are quality brands and make these claims, it's all how the bulb performs in the lamp itself in the real word day and night
Save yourself the hassle, if the bulbs are safe take it for an inspection an see if they fail before doing all that work
One argument is no 'warm-up' time compared to traditional filament bulbs where LED are instant on. We're talking miliseconds here but...

 

I've had LEDs throughout both my BE and BM Legacy, not a single issue with WoF or Police.

I find the LEDs are much brighter and have a nicer, modern colour. The indicators flash in sync with the stock LED side repeaters, the brake lights come on instantly, and your can leave your car parked with the parklights on for hours without worrying about battery drain. Oh and my reverse lights actually light up dark driveways :D

n3dJcVY.jpg

 

In terms of exterior lights I have the following as LED: Brake/tail, indicators (all four corners), reverse, number plate and park lights. I will not be changing the main beam (HID), high beam (halogen) and fog lights (halogen) as using LEDs in those situations may dazzle other drivers and create an inefficient beam shape due to the way the lenses are designed.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/01/2019 at 10:47 PM, 1randomkiwi said:

 

 

 

I've had LEDs throughout both my BE and BM Legacy, not a single issue with WoF or Police.

I find the LEDs are much brighter and have a nicer, modern colour. The indicators flash in sync with the stock LED side repeaters, the brake lights come on instantly, and your can leave your car parked with the parklights on for hours without worrying about battery drain. Oh and my reverse lights actually light up dark driveways :D

n3dJcVY.jpg

 

In terms of exterior lights I have the following as LED: Brake/tail, indicators (all four corners), reverse, number plate and park lights. I will not be changing the main beam (HID), high beam (halogen) and fog lights (halogen) as using LEDs in those situations may dazzle other drivers and create an inefficient beam shape due to the way the lenses are designed.

I have exactly the same set up in my Outback. I brought it with all the LEDs already installed. So much brighter and crisper light

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Retrofitted auto opening/closing door mirrors
 

 

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thewabbit1 said:

Retrofitted auto opening/closing door mirrors
 

 

Mine close when you hit the button, but don't extend until you start the car, which annoying

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, thewabbit1 said:

Retrofitted auto opening/closing door mirrors
 

 

Nice work man. Mind sharing which control module and the installation instructions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, SpeedySub said:

Mine close when you hit the button, but don't extend until you start the car, which annoying

I quite like the idea of that....

 

 

19 hours ago, sleepr said:

Nice work man. Mind sharing which control module and the installation instructions?

Have written it up a bit more in my garage thread

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just spent waaaay to much on yummy JDM parts on japanparts.com lol

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, TNHSTI said:

Just spent waaaay to much on yummy JDM parts on japanparts.com lol

 

Tell us more!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, RaKid said:

 

Tell us more!

 

Haha list below

 

STI push button Start Switch

STI oil Cap

STI Leather Key fob cover

DAMD D shape leather Steering wheel

STI Pitch Stopper

STI Air Filter Element 

Zero Sports Intake Hose

Zero Sports Radiator Cap

 

My wallet is the only thing suffering here xD :/

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TNHSTI said:

 

Haha list below

 

STI push button Start Switch

STI oil Cap

STI Leather Key fob cover

DAMD D shape leather Steering wheel

STI Pitch Stopper

STI Air Filter Element 

Zero Sports Intake Hose

Zero Sports Radiator Cap

 

My wallet is the only thing suffering here xD :/

 

Super jealous of the wheel. Have always wanted one but just can't justify the cost. May be in the not too distant future since I've worn through the top layer of leather on the current one

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

 

Super jealous of the wheel. Have always wanted one but just can't justify the cost. May be in the not too distant future since I've worn through the top layer of leather on the current one

 

Yeah I was gutted as my last one had to stay with my STI Forester that I wrote off, would have fit my current Legacy but oh well good to start over dont really like thinking about the poor old foz...

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now