• Announcements

• 1randomkiwi

ClubSub Forum Updates   13/03/19

Important forum upgrades are coming up which may mean the www.ClubSUB.org.nz forums will be temporarily unavailable.   Check out our Official Facebook Page for more updates.   www.facebook.com/ClubSubNZ
  • Current Donation Goals

Guest keltik

What have you done to your car today?

22,123 posts in this topic

oh dang. At least its covered.

Some angry mounts turned up today to go with the brackets from last week.

Could be a terrible decision or a good one. I'm really not sure how they’re gonna go but figured it was worth a shot since something in the front end feels weird and they're the number one suspect. If they're too rough i’ll pull them out and grab some Group N mounts like most sane Subaru owners do.

Plus the good chap chucked in a free pitchstop mount as the logo stamping was done wrong so all in all a good deal i’d say :D

47276060931_6a96582124_b.jpg

In other more annoying news, I'm still getting a large plume of smoke when back on throttle for 5ish seconds after super long descents with quite a bit of braking so it looks like the valve stem seals are leaking to some degree.

Hoping they just stay as they are and don't get any worse but now wondering if replacing them in the spare heads is a good maintenance item to do before they eventually go in.

3 people like this

Spent too much $$ on Motul oils to do the engine, gearbox and diff. Decided i'm gonna keep the RA and spend some money on it. What is a decent aftermarket exhaust that isn't obnoxiously loud, but sounds good? (97 STI RA).

3 people like this

+12mm front

+15mm rear

Very happy with the fitment, that booty is even fattier now  :x

ydpi6pt.jpg

2 people like this

18 minutes ago, sobanoodle said:

+12mm front

+15mm rear

Very happy with the fitment, that booty is even fattier now  :x

Assume you're talking about spacers?

Looks meaty as. Wish the Legacy had some wider rear arches. They look so flat and dated in comparison to any modern vehicle.

14 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Assume you're talking about spacers?

Looks meaty as. Wish the Legacy had some wider rear arches. They look so flat and dated in comparison to any modern vehicle.

Yep, I have to admit I was very much against them on any of my Legacies but seeing so many people happily slapping spacers on their bimmers all over the world made me to reconsider...  Got some extended bolts to match too.

Had a quick catch up with @im-a-bus and her gorgeous M3 (fitted with spacers too, obviously...)  and she pretty much convinced me that there is nothing wrong with having spacers on ya bimmah :ph34r: :D

2 people like this

The benefit of euros with threaded bolts rather than wheel nuts... :/

13 hours ago, 1randomkiwi said:

The benefit of euros with threaded bolts rather than wheel nuts... :/

I will happily say that I prefer wheel nuts and studs over bolts.

You can get thread in bolts for most Euro cars, that you can then throw a nut on anyway.

27 minutes ago, Individualities said:

I will happily say that I prefer wheel nuts and studs over bolts.

You can get thread in bolts for most Euro cars, that you can then throw a nut on anyway.

Oh I definitely prefer wheel nuts and studs for the most part. Especially for changing tyres.

1 person likes this

Not that wheels are falling off euros everyday... o.O:D

2 people like this

New gearknob to replace the stock lightweight one.

On 3/4/2019 at 8:30 PM, Andy_Mac said:

Plus the good chap chucked in a free pitchstop mount as the logo stamping was done wrong so all in all a good deal I’d say :D

What ya gonna be doing with it/your old Hardrace one? I'm keen on either.

S401's at 199150km. Getting ready for it's 200,000km oil change! Done all the other 200,000km service things over the last 5,000km or so.

45 minutes ago, Individualities said:

What ya gonna be doing with it/your old Hardrace one? I'm keen on either.

S401's at 199150km. Getting ready for it's 200,000km oil change! Done all the other 200,000km service things over the last 5,000km or so.

Probably flick one of the two off. I'll do a bit of testing with both before deciding Which one i’d rather keep. Remind me in a few weeks if I don't remember

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

Probably flick one of the two off. I'll do a bit of testing with both before deciding Which one i’d rather keep. Remind me in a few weeks if I don't remember

Make sure you install the engine and gearbox mounts and drive it before doing the pitch stop mount because it makes the engine a lot louder, transmits all the gearbox and engine noise to the firewall. I have hardrace engine and gearbox mounts they are really good then I went and put a pretty much solid nzkw pitch stop mount in, at first it sounds cool and all then I got sick of it and put the hardrace in and it’s much nicer and quiter.

@Individualities your welcome to have the nzkw one for a bargain if your into mean sounding engine and gearbox noises lol

1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, McMasterJamie said:

Make sure you install the engine and gearbox mounts and drive it before doing the pitch stop mount because it makes the engine a lot louder, transmits all the gearbox and engine noise to the firewall. I have hardrace engine and gearbox mounts they are really good then I went and put a pretty much solid nzkw pitch stop mount in, at first it sounds cool and all then I got sick of it and put the hardrace in and it’s much nicer and quiter.

@Individualities your welcome to have the nzkw one for a bargain if your into mean sounding engine and gearbox noises lol

Yea that's the plan. Reckon the Kein one is somewhere between the Hardrace and NZKW. 

The engine side is solidly mounted with no bush at all but the other side is has a large rubber bush which hopefully soaks up more vibrations than a poly bush.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, McMasterJamie said:

@Individualities your welcome to have the nzkw one for a bargain if your into mean sounding engine and gearbox noises lol

No thanks on the NZKW one! Hence why I asked Andy_Mac what he's gonna do with either of them.

I'm more so wanting the Hardrace one, from what Andy has said about it previously.

I'll be going down the Hardrace engine mounts and all that when I get my EJ207 and build it.

Edited by Individualities

Technically it was yesterday but brought a new engine that needs a rebuild. 

Came with a bunch of extra bits like exhaust and turbo that won’t be required. 

2 people like this

On 3/8/2019 at 9:44 AM, McMasterJamie said:

What do you call a bargain =]

3 hours ago, GC8E2DD said:

What do you call a bargain =]

I dont need it anymore so make me an offer if your keen, flick me a message if you want mate

Well the Kein stuff is all in.

Cruising and WOT is good. A bit of gearbox whine but no issue with that. There is some vibrations at idle and when starting off from a stop, it sounds pretty yuck when the cranking over on the starter motor too but not the end of the world. Might have to try the Hardrace pitchstop mount again to see if that makes much difference.

The connected feel is amazing though, the increase in crispness coming on throttle is unbelievably different to how it feels with the stock mounts

Put some solid bushes in the gearbox cross member if you want to pretend you have a bog box.

9 minutes ago, Loren said:

Put some solid bushes in the gearbox cross member if you want to pretend you have a bog box.

Yea nahh I'm good 

Finished bolting the rebuilt 6-speed box back in the wagon and drove it for the first time since last year.

It’s good to have it back!

3 people like this

On 04/03/2019 at 8:59 PM, BattleSnayke said:

Spent too much $$ on Motul oils to do the engine, gearbox and diff. Decided i'm gonna keep the RA and spend some money on it. What is a decent aftermarket exhaust that isn't obnoxiously loud, but sounds good? (97 STI RA).

Depends on your budget. Cheap? Look for a muffler that doesn't have a crazy big diameter tip. $$$? Maybe get another resonator or go from say 3" to 2.75" or 2.5" at a certain point. IIRC I went from a 4" single exit STI unit on my gf8 to no tip due to it rusting out, then a dual 3.5" or 3.25" exit eBay muffler and it drones less but still sounds nice. 

Look for an oval shaped muffler as opposed to a round one. One with more baffles will muffle better imo.