Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

• Admin
 Marky said:
Tried a few/many cars (helps I work with them all day) - but a ten min drive in a car is quite different to living with it I guess

Considerations are a) wagon, b) has to go semi good or the potential to c) post 2000

No to a 3.0 legacy

Tried all sorts, the ideal is an old S4 wagon (the 2.7TT kind) but they're few and far between, may settle for an allroad - they look kinda pimp with the flares color coded and late model rims, still can go like a cut cat, and they can be had for $cheapas

Assuming the suspension hasn't fcked out

You driven many 4th gens? Always felt my current one was a huge step up in class compared to my 3rd gen, slowly bringing it back down with the mods its receiving mindyou.

Get a 2.0gt, fairly reliable, fairly easy to piss around with, and that way you don't have to go joining some silly audi forum ;)

• Admin

Finally started the spring swap, first front one went well, then the 2nd made me its little *****. No matter how hard I tried that top nut would not move an inch. Even with the allen key bending at a hell of an angle she still wasn't going anywhere. Anyone got any tips from similar problems? Thought about getting the acetylene welder out but not sure how the bearing grease would handle it.

Andy_Mac said:
Finally started the spring swap, first front one went well, then the 2nd made me its little *****. No matter how hard I tried that top nut would not move an inch. Even with the allen key bending at a hell of an angle she still wasn't going anywhere. Anyone got any tips from similar problems? Thought about getting the acetylene welder out but not sure how the bearing grease would handle it.

Have you tried cracking the nut with a breaker bar while still in the car fully loaded?

• Admin

Na can't really do that with these shocks since you need a allen key or similar hex shaped tool in the centre of the 'bolt' to hold it from spinning whilst loosening the nut, got there doing it like this in the end, couldn't get enough grip on the nut to turn it without slipping off so just held that one where it was and got the breaker bar on and slightly spun the whole bolt/shock inner.

40DD6D13-B9D2-4500-A5A7-4BCB4F4DF383_zps

• Admin

Maybe mine are different, the bottom of the shock wasn't spinning but just the inner, only way to get it to not happen was having something in the top hole. Tried orignially doing it with just a socket to try shock it loose but got nowhere, just started turning internally after a certain amount of force was applied.

Stripped the hub assembly. Axel nuts and axels were a nightmare to get off/out, just waiting on the 114.3 hubs to turn up. Then I can start the bodywork and get the new rims on.

Andy_Mac said:
Na can't really do that with these shocks since you need a allen key or similar hex shaped tool in the centre of the 'bolt' to hold it from spinning whilst loosening the nut, got there doing it like this in the end, couldn't get enough grip on the nut to turn it without slipping off so just held that one where it was and got the breaker bar on and slightly spun the whole bolt/shock inner.

40DD6D13-B9D2-4500-A5A7-4BCB4F4DF383_zpsbhdptjjb.jpg

I had a similar issue when I did mine.

The only way to get it was to put it back into the car to crack the nut.

• Admin
 McDoof said:

You're the 3rd person to mention doing it that way. Did end up giving it a try that way and the whole internal shaft still twisted and didn't loosen the nut even with the full weight on it.

Did get the rears done too. Using the method above I managed to work out a solid way to do the rears, both removed and reinstalled in a couple of hours.

D1Style said:
Sorted my s**t out and booked the car in at DTech to get the tune tweaked, will be interesting to see if the new headers and bigger exhaust have made any difference or not :)

I read that post and didnt see a date. Safe to assume its in 4 weeks time or so.

McDoof said:

At least then it is in the car you don't have to hold the main unit. You can brace the allen key against the body somewhere and just concentrate on the nut.

Yes, it is important to concentrate on nuts, and not holding the main unit does make this easier

Wait

Unrelated news, swapped mine over to parallel for lols and curiositys sake (been a few mods since last time I tried it) - I think this might work well