Guest keltik

What have you done to your car today?

On 24/03/2019 at 3:35 PM, Gripless said:

it’s $10 and a 40 min train ride to get it from the city on Monday B| long lunch time and you’re done

Gotta line up the sale of the old one atleast lol, or unless he's happy to go a little lower on price and tempt me right to it :P GOnna quote my post from garage thread to spam the word out there about old one bein for sale, in case anyone out there would know I'll appreciate it.

Skyline on TradeMe now. I'm actually willing to go a lot lower than listed price and undercut the others, as I got a great deal when i bought it anyway. If you know of someone that might be interested, let me know and will be in touch. Sooner this goes the sooner I get in my new GRB :) 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/1999641359

On 3/24/2019 at 5:27 PM, Andy_Mac said:

Why not just do the smart thing and let the GF get the practical touring car then you can keep all the toys....

That's the kind of winning strategy I'm working with xD:ph34r:

Haha, Nah. She needs her own wheels. I can't afford to keep the Subaru and buy a Mazda.

At least the Subaru is going to a good home in my eyes.

The missus will probably get a motorbike of her own in the future, so no need to worry about keeping all the toys for myself!

23 hours ago, sobanoodle said:

I had a ”pleasure” of driving a 2016 or 17 Mazda 6 wagon for two weeks as an insurance loaner. Fuel consumption wasn't anything spectacular at all. Noisy engine that you have to push hard. Very basic multimedia etc.

In all honesty I'd rather drive a 4th or 5th gen Legacy than that Mazda.

Was that a GLX 2.0? I'm not wanting one of those. The 2.0 isn't a good engine in the 6 in my opinion. Definitely getting a GSX with a 2.5 petrol. Dad has a 2017 2.2 diesel Limited which is actually pretty quick.

I'm ideally going for a release model 2013/14 GJ chassis GSX 2.5 petrol. Has the older TomTom satnav system in it, but it'll do for what I want. Comes a hell of a lot better equipped than the older GH chassis ones in terms of tech and that.

Edited by Individualities

On 3/24/2019 at 9:49 PM, sobanoodle said:

I had a ”pleasure” of driving a 2016 or 17 Mazda 6 wagon for two weeks as an insurance loaner. Fuel consumption wasn't anything spectacular at all. Noisy engine that you have to push hard. Very basic multimedia etc.

In all honesty I'd rather drive a 4th or 5th gen Legacy than that Mazda.

Sounds like the pov-spec 2.0L, mainly used for company/fleet/rental use unfortunately. Sure, they're no Legacy, but the higher trim diesel and incoming 2.5 turbo aren't a bad combo at all. The kit & safety features the new Mazda's come with, considering the price point is impressive. They definitely lack the refinement you get out of similar era BMW/Audi/Merc, but at half the price its unfair to compare

Sorry, just read the 2.5L comment

Edited by Nachoooo
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 10:24 PM, Nachoooo said:

Sounds like the pov-spec 2.0L, mainly used for company/fleet/rental use unfortunately. Sure, they're no Legacy, but the higher trim diesel and incoming 2.5 turbo aren't a bad combo at all. The kit & safety features the new Mazda's come with, considering the price point is impressive. They definitely lack the refinement you get out of similar era BMW/Audi/Merc, but at half the price its unfair to compare

Sorry, just read the 2.5L comment

Seconded.

The incoming SkyActiv-X engine is pretty darn neato too. A lot of other manufacturers have been trying to crack compression ignition with petrol for years reliably, but Mazda has some how done it (SUPER lean fuel mixture essentially). It's due out in the new Mazda 3 sometime late this year, or very early 2020 (Europe gets the engine first due to emmisons regulations over there).

Also, the next Mazda 6 is being co-developed with Toyota on a shared platform. Rumours circulating is that the platform is coming from BMW, so we could see a RWD Mazda 6, or higher model (Mazda 9? after the 929 of past) in future. Next Mazda 6 will be 2020 release anyway, so I doubt that the platform will be BMW, but definitely developed with Toyota. Toyota already rebadges a few Mazda cars for various markets, and Mazda makes a Hybrid Axela (3 in Japan) which is basically Mazda 2.0L, with Toyota Prius transmission/hybrid unit.

Finally now that I’m home with all the garage gear and driveway space I can clean parts of the car that have been neglected.

Today was the wheels lights and exhaust.

Wheels had curbing thanks to my wife so thought I’d try and sand the outer lip and see how that looks came up sweet and will keep me happy till the tyres need to be replaced b69189c2bb3802ffe53252b35d3f7e51.jpg
237bea5a9e894eaa6ac5f4179f4aa21f.jpg

Exhaust was an easy clean with some metal polish and bit of arm muscle2b421b81b46c151d47b441212a764a20.jpg2209334a359b76de932abac8a55073aa.jpg

Headlights were super nasty yellow from
Being outside at Wellington airport for almost 8 months. Used rainx kit that including a sealant to hopefully make it last longer. Will see if it really works fc71876d49408c1025c2e2b574017ddb.jpga83497e2a02215749904f77127a0e708.jpg4b09f331e1f25508f25ef49913de64c1.jpg

Tomorrow’s job is wash and wax and and clean the inside. Once I paid the duty for the whiteline gear that will be installed as well.

• Like 3

Spent ages detailing the skyline, in and out gettin it clean as for whoever the new owner ends up being (still for sale btw). No pics cos its not a subie

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Got a Subaru box from partsouq for it. 

Because when I saw @JordanfromNZ yesterday he pointed out, yes I’m posting during work time 🤫

Edited by Gripless

1 minute ago, Gripless said:

Got a Subaru box from partsouq for it. 

Because when I saw @JordanfromNZ yesterday he pointed out, yes I’m posting during work time 🤫

As am I lol. 

You bought a gearbox off partsouq? 

• Like 1

No just a box full of rebuild gaskets and seals. 

I am looking at a rebuild kit for the gearbox though. Already on the second one in the car. 

21 minutes ago, Gripless said:

Already on the second one in the car. 

Pssssh Catch up mayte. I'm on my Fourth Gearbox and third motor and third fuel system revision 😂 Fourth Motor incoming as I need to get the numbers the same obviously.

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Dairusire said:

Pssssh Catch up mayte. I'm on my Fourth Gearbox and third motor and third fuel system revision 😂 Fourth Motor incoming as I need to get the numbers the same obviously.

I feel my car maybe younger than yours so it has a little growing to do. 

I’ve ordered a new motor so that would be 2nd motor but counting the previous rebuild 3rd. And technically that one is rebuilt from another so we’ll go 4th motor build. 

Sadly by your logic I now need to expect  another 2 gearboxes to get ordered.  

I was planning a 3rd to fit new bearings as an excuse to do the front LSD. 

Does it count if I get it rebuilt then stripped and rebuilt again before it goes on the car?

56 minutes ago, Gripless said:

I feel my car maybe younger than yours so it has a little growing to do. 

I’ve ordered a new motor so that would be 2nd motor but counting the previous rebuild 3rd. And technically that one is rebuilt from another so we’ll go 4th motor build. 

Sadly by your logic I now need to expect  another 2 gearboxes to get ordered.  

I was planning a 3rd to fit new bearings as an excuse to do the front LSD. 

Does it count if I get it rebuilt then stripped and rebuilt again before it goes on the car?

It's a terrible fate that beholds us Subaru owners. I believe in you though, smash those next 2 gearboxes! 

Also, yes it does count. My first box (5 speed) I stripped 3rd and 4th, put in a second hand wrecker box that was noisy as hell while the 1st got rebuilt and then put in as the third box. The third box then got replaced by my now current s204/V10 STi (same part number... So lets claim it anyway!) 6 speed box. 

4 hours ago, Dairusire said:

It's a terrible fate that beholds us Subaru owners.

speak for yourself, you're a freak of nature mate

• Haha 3

I dropped the wrx off at the mechanics for a full twin scroll conversion today... didn't quite go to plan due to the new oil pressure/temp sensor I installed not having a matching thread to the port I stuck it in, and forgot to check... the smell and clouds of smoke let me know though. Managed to turn around and get home before catching fire though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Loren said:

I dropped the wrx off at the mechanics for a full twin scroll conversion today... didn't quite go to plan due to the new oil pressure/temp sensor I installed not having a matching thread to the port I stuck it in, and forgot to check... the smell and clouds of smoke let me know though. Managed to turn around and get home before catching fire though.

Obviously not enough silicone used. Rookie mistake. haha

Picked up some far less angry Group N engine mounts to try. The Kein ones are progressively getting better but still kind of annoying.

The GN ones will be a good test set since The Kein and sloppy worn factory ones really are on the opposite ends of the scale. Currently I've been comparing the Kein harshness to rubbish factory ones without any idea how harsh the midground ones are so opinions may change.

33662755478_8bd9f89c96_b.jpg

• Like 3

Someone reversed into my wagon while I was sitting in it 😑. Looks like it messed up the number plate, bent the bonnet latch support and put a medium scratch on the bumper.

The condenser and radiator are both still sealed thankfully. I’ll pull the bumper off an take a closer look this weekend.

Only minor damage but still pretty lame for a Friday arvo...

• Sad 2

38 minutes ago, IZichard said:

Someone reversed into my wagon while I was sitting in it 😑. Looks like it messed up the number plate, bent the bonnet latch support and put a medium scratch on the bumper.

The condenser and radiator are both still sealed thankfully. I’ll pull the bumper off an take a closer look this weekend.

Only minor damage but still pretty lame for a Friday arvo...

At least you were there to catch them in the act. Nothing worse than coming back to nice new dents without any form of contact from the muppet

16 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

At least you were there to catch them in the act. Nothing worse than coming back to nice new dents without any form of contact from the muppet

Yeah that would have sucked. The guy was very apologetic, said he liked the car and felt terrible. It was outside my work and he works next door so I doubt he would have done a runner.

• Like 2

I’ve just about got everything together to install the 20g. Injectors, turbo inlet and injectors on the shelf. Ordered a pitch stop, engine mounts, fuel pump, catch can and replacement coolant hoses. Only thing left to order is the front mount but I’m still weighing my options there.

On 5/04/2019 at 3:57 PM, Andy_Mac said:

Picked up some far less angry Group N engine mounts to try. The Kein ones are progressively getting better but still kind of annoying.

The GN ones will be a good test set since The Kein and sloppy worn factory ones really are on the opposite ends of the scale. Currently I've been comparing the Kein harshness to rubbish factory ones without any idea how harsh the midground ones are so opinions may change.

33662755478_8bd9f89c96_b.jpg

Hows the install? I’ve ordered the full Cusco set including the trans mount. 

• Like 2