Guest keltik

What have you done to your car today?

Recommended Posts

Took it in to fail it's WoF.

 

99% chance of new tyres today.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, boon said:

Took it in to fail it's WoF.

 

99% chance of new tyres today.

 

Haha 3 out of 4 tyres agree that they are s*** and need replacing.

 

Set of four and an alignment tomorrow then :)

 

Otherwise passed! Go the Legacy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 1randomkiwi said:

Dropped it off to Winger.
Driving a Forester for the day.

 

Passed its WoF...

And got a quote for $2k worth of work that may or may not fix the heater problem... FML
Anyone buying organs?

:kidney:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2k at winger is probably $300 at a reasonable mechanic lol

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, 1randomkiwi said:

 

Passed its WoF...

And got a quote for $2k worth of work that may or may not fix the heater problem... FML
Anyone buying organs?

:kidney:

 

You don't need AC to heat, the heat comes from the engine via coolant heating a part of the air / heat exchange unit.

 

That was how you worked out if the coolant system was properly purged in my 350Z, crank the heat and fan speed to high, (with AC off). The car would allow the coolant to flow into the pipe that heated up the air for the air con system, if it didn't blow hot air it meant you still had air in the coolant system and the coolant wouldn't flow into the necessary places.

 

$2000 to fix something that i'm ASSUMING is a by product of normal engine operation seems bizarre, its likely just a valve or relay - at a stretch maybe the thermostat isn't opening to allow flow through the block? 

 

If it was cooling THEN it would be something more complicated like the AC compressor etc etc

my .2 cents

 

I was quoted over $90 by Winger for a cabin filter which was $30 from Supercheap

Edited by Omsin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, preim said:

2k at winger is probably $300 at a reasonable mechanic lol

 

8hrs of labour plus a new heater core... I wish it was $300 elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, Omsin said:

 

You don't need AC to heat, the heat comes from the engine via coolant heating a part of the air / heat exchange unit.

 

That was how you worked out if the coolant system was properly purged in my 350Z, crank the heat and fan speed to high, (with AC off). The car would allow the coolant to flow into the pipe that heated up the air for the air con system, if it didn't blow hot air it meant you still had air in the coolant system and the coolant wouldn't flow into the necessary places. 

 

$2000 to fix something that i'm ASSUMING is a by product of normal engine operation seems bizarre, its likely just a valve or relay - at a stretch maybe the thermostat isn't opening to allow flow through the block? 

 

If it was cooling THEN it would be something more complicated like the AC compressor etc etc

my .2 cents

 

It's not the AC.
The passenger side doesn't get heated air. The car has dual zone climate control so I still suspect that it's something to do with either a blockage or broken/faulty actuator.

Winger replaced the actuator unit yesterday and it didn't fix the no heat problem. They then put my old part back in which I'm still 99% sure is faulty without even calling to ask what I wanted to do.

They think, but haven't been able to confirm, that the issue is with a partial blockage of the heater core.

Might take it to my local to get him to try a heater core flush or something.

 

I just can't really justify spending $2k on an issue like that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What?

if you can get to the actuator and move the lever shouldn’t you feel the baffle inside hit the two stoppers as you move it from open to close?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pulled the engine for some maintenance before 4 and Rotary South Island Champs.

New rocker cover gaskets, fix the sump leaking. 

new up pipe gasket, as that was leaking as well, also new turbo inlet and outlet gaskets. 

 

Will fix some wiring, and hopefully install some Radium engineering fuel rails.

Also a look at the basic twisted setup :) While it's out Im going to make some brackets for it!

 

okvjUTKl.jpg

tip1gp8l.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Got a recall letter in the mail yesterday. Pretty good of them to send it out i reckond3113c12efc2a71b4b5df75f5de22bc1.jpg
Hey got his in the mail too today. Glad to get it and can get it sorted out
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iludez said:
2 hours ago, boyracer693 said:
Got a recall letter in the mail yesterday. Pretty good of them to send it out i reckond3113c12efc2a71b4b5df75f5de22bc1.jpg

Hey got his in the mail too today. Glad to get it and can get it sorted out

 

This is interesting does anyone know why the fuel pump needs to be checked and what year cars this applies to?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
This is interesting does anyone know why the fuel pump needs to be checked and what year cars this applies to?
 
I think 06+
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, TNHSTI said:

 

This is interesting does anyone know why the fuel pump needs to be checked and what year cars this applies to?

 

 

Unsure on years, visually all 4th gen GT cradles seem the same, can't comment on other models.

The connector pins on the cradle are rubbish and can over time become loose enough to arc/melt the connector. 

 

It's why kits like this exist, which happens to be what I did to mine a couple of weeks back. 

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/39dc8e_af9d7c330b674365a6cda6d7e7dc5c83.pdf

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

 

Unsure on years, visually all 4th gen GT cradles seem the same, can't comment on other models.

The connector pins on the cradle are rubbish and can over time become loose enough to arc/melt the connector. 

 

It's why kits like this exist, which happens to be what I did to mine a couple of weeks back. 

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/39dc8e_af9d7c330b674365a6cda6d7e7dc5c83.pdf

 

 

Interesting cos my dads 09 Outbacks cradle just melted and s*** itself I rang Subaru and they said no there isn't a recall on his model and that they couldn't do anything...

 

I checked my 07 Legacy at the same time and advised there is one and a letter would be coming soon, recently my boost is down i wonder if the cradle/pump is the issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay after calling Subaru NZ they say dads outback was actually a 2010 model which is not good, the other thing is I wonder if my boost issues are because of the connector? mines an 07 BL5 Turbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Probably unrelated to your boost issues. The ECU would be throwing a hissy if it was sporadically getting no fuel.

Pretty easy to check though.

 

Yea 2010 is the next gen so there will be a huge process for them to analyse and decide if a recall is needed and won't just carry on from the earlier ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

 

Probably unrelated to your boost issues. The ECU would be throwing a hissy if it was sporadically getting no fuel.

 Pretty easy to check though.

 

Yea 2010 is the next gen so there will be a huge process for them to analyse and decide if a recall is needed and won't just carry on from the earlier ones.

 

Thanks Andy yeah i thought it might be related to it, like maybe the ecu is putting it into limp mode because of the issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

How low is the boost? Limp will be like 7ish psi. 

 

So it normally does just above 1bar now sits dead on 0.5bar (7.25 psi) has no CEL or anything and actually runs smooth just low boost and it did it for no apparent reason

 

I did an ecu reset the other day and boost was back for a while but went back to 0.5bar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't sound good.

Probably isn't limp mode in the usual sense, but when IAM drops below a certain figure it disables boost control so it can't exceed wastegate pressure. Think it's like 0.2 or something like that with normal being 1.0, which sounds like what you have. Messed up fuel trims from pump problems could eventually cause this but other causes are far more likely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Doesn't sound good.

Probably isn't limp mode in the usual sense, but when IAM drops below a certain figure it disables boost control so it can't exceed wastegate pressure. Think it's like 0.2 or something like that with normal being 1.0, which sounds like what you have. Messed up fuel trims from pump problems could eventually cause this but other causes are far more likely. 

 

Other causes? what would you suspect?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TNHSTI said:

 

Other causes? what would you suspect?

 

Hard to say without any hard data. 

Spark plug, injector, vac leak or others. 

A LV will narrow down the possibilities considerably

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

 

Hard to say without any hard data. 

Spark plug, injector, vac leak or others. 

A LV will narrow down the possibilities considerably

 

Sweet well Im getting it looked at by the tuner next week so we will see by the way whats LV?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@TNHSTI

Learning View.

Basically a snapshot of what the ECU is doing to keep the engine happy. Shows fuel and timing corrections and the IAM (Ignition Advance Multiplier)

 

Fuel correction shows how much the ECU is having to alter the fueling from the expected value to get the AFR correct and the timing correction shows segments where the ECU has learnt to reduce timing as knock has occurred when running the timing set in the tune.

 

 

B635B572-E290-4EA8-BC1B-3DDC7D403510_zpsj5jq8dxj

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.