Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What size semi slicks do you use ???

Guest loren
 Scoobydoo']

[quote name='Shale said:

So the gist of it is, they are able to be snuck onto the road if they need to be, but it's REALLY not recommended?

/quote]

It means, don't use them if you are a muppet.

Probably also means don't use them if you don't want the cost of replacing them 3 times in the same space as a more durable performance tyre.

yeah that too... but also you need to know what conditions the tyres are

designed for, and how well they will perform in other conditions. R888s are almost a

road tyre anyway, but others will not be safe in just any old situation... and that's not

just said for drama, you could well slip right off the road without much effort with the wrong tyre.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5UBZRO']

[quote name='Tony said:

97 Impreza GC8 (STI RA)

225/45/17 Advan A048, MH Compound

/quote]

Sorry in advance for the hi-jack. what width wheels are you running with these tony? trying to find some wide 17s that will fit my car, but no luck so far.

I am using 17x8.5 rims with those tyres, they fit okay, but would ideally be suited to a thinner rim a bit better - like a 7.5 or 8" wide.

I will be using 245/40/17 semis next, now that I have rims wide enough to suit that size tyre.

Yes wide 17" rims in 5x100 PCD are not the easiest to find, and if you do find them , snap them up quick fast!

Guest Fastfour

Can confirm that.

When you have the money there are no sets.

When you dont have the money there is a set that turns up.

Grrr

thanks guys!! must keep eyes peeled. oh and as for this thread, gc8 running 205/50/16 potenza re55s. had no touble with wofs etc. had them on the car since december, done 2000kms on them so far with still plenty left in them, actually for sale if anyone has some 17x8.5s for sale! as for the wet, had them in the wet on manfield with only one scary moment due to driver error :P All in all it does what i want and begining to find them easy enough to get heat into quickly for sprints etc.

Tony']

[quote name='Tony said:

97 Impreza GC8 (STI RA)

/quote]

Sorry in advance for the hi-jack. what width wheels are you running with these tony? trying to find some wide 17s that will fit my car, but no luck so far.

I am using 17x8.5 rims with those tyres, they fit okay, but would ideally be suited to a thinner rim a bit better - like a 7.5 or 8" wide.

I will be using 245/40/17 semis next, now that I have rims wide enough to suit that size tyre.

Yes wide 17" rims in 5x100 PCD are not the easiest to find, and if you do find them , snap them up quick fast!

best you put some good locknuts on them!!! next time i see you, some 16in TE37s might magically appear on your car :P :P

5UBZRO said:

best you put some good locknuts on them!!! next time i see you, some 16in TE37s might magically appear on your car :P :P

I better keep a good eye on them then ;)

Trust me, I dont let them out of my sight for long! I have been hunting/waiting for a LOOOOONG time to get my stash of wheels (1 x set Enkei ES Tarmac 17x8.5; 1 x set SSR Type C 17x8.5, 1.5 sets TE37 17x8) ;D

Tony said:

Trust me, I dont let them out of my sight for long! I have been hunting/waiting for a LOOOOONG time to get my stash of wheels (1 x set Enkei ES Tarmac 17x8.5; 1 x set SSR Type C 17x8.5, 1.5 sets TE37 17x8) ;D

1.5 sets? There is a 0.5 set on Trademe atm:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Subaru/Accessories/auction-284887011.htm

Scoobydoo']

[quote name='Tony said:

/quote]

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Subaru/Accessories/auction-284887011.htm

Yep, I have an extra 2 "back-up" wheels fitted with slicks in case I damage a wheel or tyre in a race.

Those TE37s on Trademe belong to a mate of mine - VERY good price considering they are fully mint condition, but I dont need anymore wheels though!

Tony']

[quote name='Tony said:

/quote]

Yep, I have an extra 2 "back-up" wheels fitted with slicks in case I damage a wheel or tyre in a race.

Those TE37s on Trademe belong to a mate of mine - VERY good price considering they are fully mint condition, but I dont need anymore wheels though!

OHHHHH now your just being greedy!!! haha

kamineko']

[quote name='Tony said:

97 Impreza GC8 (STI RA)

/quote]

this is the size of the black r888's you passed to me at megameet (cheers!)

did you have to roll your guards to fit these?

My rear guards are rolled and stretched quite a bit, but thats so I can fit the wider slicks & wets (with lower offset rims). With the 225/45 semis you should be fine, especially with the Ver. 8 rims as they are +53 offset so give better clearance of the guards due to them sitting inboard a bit more :)

• 2 months later...

Anyone here uses R888s on 16" alloys?

Since they don't make a 205/50/R16 for the R888s I was just wondering what most people go with as an alternative.

They'll be going on OEM STi Rays TE37 alloys so the standard 16x7 ET53.

Thanks!

8e4r said:

Since they don't make a 205/50/R16 for the R888s I was just wondering what most people go with as an alternative.

Thanks!

damn!! was gonna try sell you my te37s with semi slicks!! I ran 205/50/16 potenza re55s. Barely legal but a good track alternative to r888s. heard a few good things about yokohamas (advan) too.

Guest boostcut
 Fastfour said:

Im running Yoko Advan A048s and they are good :) (but in 17")

i have quite a few sets of the porsche cup michelins for you when you want them...

boostcut']

[quote name='Fastfour said:

/quote]

i have quite a few sets of the porsche cup michelins for you when you want them...

If jason isnt keen on them I will be!!!! running them at the moment, awsome tyres. Just starting to get pretty thin. what do they usually go for 2nd hand?

5UBZRO']

[quote name='Fastfour said:

/quote]

If jason isnt keen on them I will be!!!! running them at the moment, awsome tyres. Just starting to get pretty thin. what do they usually go for 2nd hand?

They're 18s though Rowan...

5UBZRO']

[quote name='8e4r said:

Thanks!

/quote]

damn!! was gonna try sell you my te37s with semi slicks!! I ran 205/50/16 potenza re55s. Barely legal but a good track alternative to r888s. heard a few good things about yokohamas (advan) too.

I think I saw your set on Trade Me, they're the white set of TE37s aren't they?

What do people think of 225/45/R16:

(Height: 605 Width: 228) - I'm thinking this might just be a bit too wide, though it's actually only 14mm (so 7mm on each side) wider than the standard 205/50/R16 Toyo T1R which is what I currently have (Height: 609 Width: 214)

or 205/55/R16:

(Height: 628 Width: 213) - Don't like the idea of riding the car's axle points 9.5mm higher than normal especially for a set of race/track tyres but these will definitely fit within the guards without any troubles

So just wondering what the general opinion is, still doing more research but I will definitely be getting a set in the near future, cheers all!