Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

New rubber for the GTB

SpotMe said:

Re the Adrenalins, one thing to be aware of is that they are made in Japan or Thailand (from memory). The Japanese ones appear to run a different rubber compound and are reported to be much better build quality and grip wise.

Have had some of each. The Thai ones wouldn't know what grip was if their lives depended on it. I theeeeenk the ones I have at the rear are Thai at the moment - and they really don't like the wet much.

SpotMe said:

Re the Adrenalins, one thing to be aware of is that they are made in Japan or Thailand (from memory). The Japanese ones appear to run a different rubber compound and are reported to be much better build quality and grip wise.

The original batches were Japanese made.

Then the more popular sizes were Australian made.

Now with BS Australia shutting it's factory most will be from Thailand.

:(

Don't know why folks are having trouble with RE001's in the wet, if anything they are a better than T1Rs's, GS-D3s etc.

Muppetry at the wheel again ?

::)

newsuba said:
Don't know why folks are having trouble with RE001's in the wet, if anything they are a better than T1Rs's, GS-D3s etc.

Used to run Dunlop SP3000A's and they were so much better in the wet it wasn't funny. First time I ran the adrenalins in the wet I was like "what."

Bridgestones are much better turning wise and in the dry though.

MercuryFree']

[quote name='Hailz said:

How much are people paying for the RE050's? Just so I know how much to talk Firestone down by lol

/quote]

Would help to know what size you're looking for, couldn't find it in the thread

Sorry, just the 215/45/17s

I paid $225 per corner for RE050's (directionals and not run flat... not the RE050A's which are Asymmetricals) in that size.

The 050's are much much better in the wet then the RE001's (Adrenalins) although I'm told the Japanese made Adrenalins are better then the Thai ones.

newsuba said:

Tony's Tyres sell the RE050A* in 215/45-17 for $236ea.

Why RE050 ?

For a GTB the cheaper RE001 ($201ea.) is probably just as good.

*NB there are several variants on the RE050.

HELL NO, the Adrenalins are nowhere as good as the RE050. And yes, I HAVE had a set of each.

You're thinking of the RE050A as you said, which is a crap tyre. RE050 is a very grippy DIRECTIONAL tyre. RE050A was stock on some Legacy as you know, and quickly ended up in the bin. Ask specifically for the S2000 or Mazda6 RE050 and you get a completely different kettle of fish.

Don't believe me... I'm sure you recall seeing SpotMe's blurple GTB carving Manfeild up in the wet very effectively ;D

YMMV on RE001s, especially for experienced BSers like you, but for the OP, they (Jap or Aus. RE001, I haven't driven on Thai ones) are probably good enough.

Did I say RE050A were crap ?

???

I've driven on Legacies and Mk5 Golf GTI's with RE050A and they felt great.

I guess about 20k - so not lots. Not sure if I will get them again, but not because they are bad tyres or anything. Last time we got them from Firestone in Newmarket (Aucks) I think they charged us closer to $370ish or something a corner fitted and balanced. Too much for car that is never really driven anywhere near its limits.

I've put 30km on my toyo proxes 4's, and got my first wet road four wheel drift on wed. Just about time for replacement i think.

Good tyre, excellent in the wet but a bit prone to understeer.

RSB said:

I've put 30km on my toyo proxes 4's, and got my first wet road four wheel drift on wed. Just about time for replacement i think.

Good tyre, excellent in the wet but a bit prone to understeer.

I've had the Proxes 4's on the BH as well. I found them ok in the wet but it didn't take much of a push to get them to slip and slide, better in the dry. They didn't stay on the car long... (I think 7000km in a short period of time) before I whipped them off (they were virtually unworn!) in favour of the 050's. Basically I went on one cruise on a wet windy night and rapidly found their limits so less then a week later, the 050's went on.

In comparison the 050's are excellent wet or dry... much more progressive and chatty when they start to work hard or slip and I easily picked up 10kph in open road corners wet or dry (i.e. a corner I know very well on the road that loops round the back of Taupo... driven one week on the Proxes 4's and then a few weeks later on the 050's). They're much more confidence inspiring too.

But... they are slightly noisier on smooth roads (the Proxes 4's were silent whereas you can quietly hear the tread pattern of the 050's) and the Proxes looked like they'd last forever whereas I'd guess I'm going to get 20-25,000km out of the 050's.

• 4 weeks later...
 GC8E2DD']
yea i got adrenalins in mine too, it powerslides and steps out hard in the wet.

I've not experienced this. You running stock suspension?

[quote name='JoKer said:

you must be driving like a loony to loose traction/quote]

What I was thinking =]

yep I am.

Mine are Japanese made ones too.

Cant wait for those new Bridgestone s001s when they come out.

Have got Direzza DZ101's on our legacy which seem good alround.

Best tyres iv ever had were Silverstone FTZ sports - good in the wet and outstanding in the dry

Worst would be Advan A008R's absolutly shocking in any conditions other than dry and at race temps.