Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Painting Intake manifold

Sorry if this has already been covered, couldn't find it through search.

Im wanting to repaint my intake manifold has it has almost no paint left on it and was wondering the best ways to do so, have been told that VHT crinkle paint works well but may peel over time. Are you able to powder coat them? im toying with the idea of going for somthing diferant like the fluro yellow that ken block has,

Thoughts?

http://image.modified.com/f/24512785/modp_0909_16_o+2009_subaru_impreza_sti+engine_bay.jpg

to the guys that have had it done, how long ago? how has it lasted? talked to a few places today, a few were skeptical about it, a few didnt know. Any suggestions on where to get it done?

Well I still had the car about a year after I had mine done and it was still good as new. Mine was powdercoated so i think that's a bit more durable than paint.

And where to get it done, since you're in Auckland i'd have no idea, but any powdercoater will be able to do it.

The finish and length of durability will depend alot on if its treated before p/c. If possable get the manifold Chomated first as this will prep the ali for powdercoating and clean any impuritys off as well. Some of the dulux powdercoats offer a 25 year warrenty on ali doors that get stepped on all day. So it should just about outlast the maniold. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Iv painted quite a few with the standard old VHT crinkle paint. Had the manifold acid dipped first so was nice and clean (mainly cos cudnt b bothered cleaning it myself lol), went over it with wax and grease remover prior to painting to b safe, then applied 5 coats of the wrinkle paint before heating and done. One was done 2 years ago and hasnt flaked yet

SAS said:

Iv painted quite a few with the standard old VHT crinkle paint. Had the manifold acid dipped first so was nice and clean (mainly cos cudnt b bothered cleaning it myself lol), went over it with wax and grease remover prior to painting to b safe, then applied 5 coats of the wrinkle paint before heating and done. One was done 2 years ago and hasnt flaked yet

Did you just back it in the oven?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bemrose

when they acid dip it will all come off, save your time!

mines going to the coaters on friday

sweet as, I will have a ring around 2moro and see who can acid dip it for me. Ive decided to spray it myself with crinkle paint, used it on a piece of metal at work and it looks legit.