• Raised $0.00

Smart ideas: removing diff bung

funkytown

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DRFVDR said:

I used a ezyout to get a bung bung out of a diff(was toyota though) just drill thru and insert and remove bung bung,wash all of the swarf out of diff then add new oil and unbung bung :)

John - I have some ezy outs as well, so will bring those around tomorrow also for you.

have you tried getting some heat onto it yet? or failing that go get a little half inch extension, cheapest possible, and weld the bastard to the bung so it doesnt slip out. then big power bar on it. the heat from welder will also break the seal :)

bet you that will get it out and with little effort.

got a gas torch yesterday, have tomorrow off ... will heat the b!tch up and put my strong arm on it,

Paul is also dropping by an impact gun for me to have a play with.

Heres hoping a little heat and it'l pop out.

Demo is kindly sending me a new bung as the inners of the stuck one are a bit rounded now as well which doesnt help - not slipping but wont take much.

Cheers all for suggestions.

Koom']

[quote name='funkytown said:

im not the worlds sharpest backyard mechanic but there is no way its a 15min job.

/quote]

With two people, its a 15 min job. Whole 5 spd gearbox and diff swap takes ~45 mins with 4 people ;)

Agreed. We had Pauls gearbox out in 30mins. Was a mad rush though.

S**t what do you do......It's only 4 bolts on the drive shaft, 6 bolts on the diff, two bolts on the hub carriers, pop the half shafts and you're done.

If you've got the car jacked up already with the wheels off, I don't know how it would take you any longer.

Now taking the rear sub-frame out by yourself to swap out the diff bushes is a different story.

by myself upside down on the carport floor doesn't take me 15mins.. end of story.

the car is currently not jacked up, the bolts have to come out of the rear hubs to remove stubs, the diff has 10 bolts not 6 holding it in, 8 bolts i think to remove the back plate, put the new one on seal it up and then unside down putting it all back in onto those dowels myself...

im not taking it out if i avoid it, and i don't have another rear plate... thanks but nah.

funkytown said:

by myself upside down on the carport floor doesn't take me 15mins.. end of story.

the car is currently not jacked up, the bolts have to come out of the rear hubs to remove stubs, the diff has 10 bolts not 6 holding it in, 8 bolts i think to remove the back plate, put the new one on seal it up and then unside down putting it all back in onto those dowels myself...

im not taking it out if i avoid it, and i don't have another rear plate... thanks but nah.

I'm not going out to count...But there are only 6 bolts on a wrx that hold the diff in; two on the rear and then 4 on the front. On a legacy there are 4; two on the back and two on the front, that's the reason legacy's brake the rear bushes. Admittedly I am going of memory, but I have done it a few times over the years.

I do all work by myself on my back in my garage as well. ;)

Was just a suggestion but each to their own.

P.s. if there was enough beer/money in it I could be persuaded to have a bet on the 15min extraction.

doesnt your diff have a skid plate?

there is that plate that slides over the dowels and has extra 6 bolts on the front part of the subframe (on the side walls of it) also the skid plate has to come off to get to the 4 shaft blots and remove the front of the diff.. so its more than 10 by my count, closer to 16

funkytown said:

doesnt your diff have a skid plate?

there is that plate that slides over the dowels and has extra 6 bolts on the front part of the subframe, also the skid plate has to come off to get to the 4 shaft blots and remove the front of the diff.. so its more than 10 by my count, closer to 16

Ok i'll give you 2 more minutes for the extra bolts :P

Either way it's an easy job and probably easier than working on it in the car. Nothing like putting a gearbox back in by yourself with the car on axle stands, which is the hardest thing I have ever had to do on a Subaru.

A close second would be replacing the rear diff bushes on a legacy, which saw the entire rear sub-frame out of the car.

Guest keltik

Just ubolt the bloody diff and it will fall out. Its the nasty habit of looking at a job and saying "thats too hard" instead of just doing it that makes sure nothing gets done on your car.

Guest keltik

Me and Matdaymon can each unbolt and reinstall a rear diff in under an hour (on his driveway with the car on axle stands) without undoing any hubs. Surely you can manage that. Its not magic

Actually, you could probably get the cover off without fully removing the diff from the car and taking axles out... just undo all the bolts which hold the diff up in place, and undo the driveshaft bolts, and then remove the GD diff mount thing, and lower the diff down on a jack. You should be able to get it low enough to get to all the bolts on the cover.

I had to do this the other week (although for a different reason) and I am sure I could have dropped it lower to get to the top bolts of the cover... worth a shot anyway.