Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Fuel Lines

smokn4

wheres a gd place to get some fuel lines around here to do the split fuel rail mod thats not to expensive, the last tim i checked the guy at the shop rekn it was like $50 for 100mm but aint that abit steep?

Guest SPANKU

i get them at road n track in the hutt. make sure you get fuel injection lines not carbie and dont get it from supercheap

Dynaflow in Lower Hutt/Seaview have the EFI rated stuff (400psi, or something), it's about $18/m (+gst).

The stuff from Road and Track is about $25/m, but tends to vary in quality; the first time they had this stuff from USA which was good, but the second time I went back it looked like generic stuff and started to crack after a while.

-8 I believe, but I'm not certain. Best thing to do is whip off one of your hoses off the fuel filter and measure the inside diameter. Then you'll know exactly, and can compare it to what they have. If you like a little bit of bling then you can get braided hose for the same price, if not cheaper than the EFI hose. At least it was when I got mine from Road n Track a couple of years ago.

All fuel hoses and fittings are imperial. Normal size fuel hose is 5/16" (close to 8mm, but not quite).

If you go to Dynaflow, say you work at Spel, trade discount is only 10%, but better than none. They sell all the fittings and T-pieces too.

Braided hoses are good, but you need the proper crimp or lock type fittings - hose clamps do not work on braided lines! I have tried and failed with those.

STA Parts in Auckland have a wide catalogue of bits and fittings also, but it depends on how much you want to spend

You can use braided hose fine, but it's a good idea to use gasket goo around the pipes to ensure a good fit. Jason, you must've used the cheap hose clamps, cos I used them on my legacy and they were sweet, with the goo. I used good $5 a piece hose clamps though. I also went for extra bling and used the coloured end bits so there were no frayed ends of braid, but they aren't necessary, more for looks than anything.

Yeah i used the cheap factory ones designed for the rubber hose, they did not clamp onto the braiding with enough force to hold the rubber in place, hence they popped loose - very dodgy!!!

I have since used the rubber hose from Dynaflow, and it seems to be good

Scoobydoo said:

You can use braided hose fine, but it's a good idea to use gasket goo around the pipes to ensure a good fit. Jason, you must've used the cheap hose clamps, cos I used them on my legacy and they were sweet, with the goo. I used good $5 a piece hose clamps though. I also went for extra bling and used the coloured end bits so there were no frayed ends of braid, but they aren't necessary, more for looks than anything.

Were you wearing your spurs and cowboy hat while you were doing such dodgy work?

Its braided hose ffs, its not made to hold pressure while jambed onto a nipple and clamped. There's a reason why they make special fittings for them (which would be considered the proper "bling" rather than some shi**y clamp with a fake end on it)

Koom']

[quote name='Scoobydoo said:

/quote]

Were you wearing your spurs and cowboy hat while you were doing such dodgy work?

Its braided hose ffs, its not made to hold pressure while jambed onto a nipple and clamped. There's a reason why they make special fittings for them (which would be considered the proper "bling" rather than some shi**y clamp with a fake end on it)

Excuse me? They were far from shi**y... they cost me $10 a pop, and having to buy 6 of them it wasn't cheap, almost as much as the hose itself. The clamps were very good. I got told the standard clamps weren't that great to be used for fuel, so got the better clamps and replaced the normal ones inside the ends. $5 per clamp aint shi**y! I was trying to think of the name of them, looked them up on STA Parts website and they are Hose Finishers - as seen on Page 18 of their Hose & Fittings catalogue.

I know what they are and there's no way I'd use them for fuel. Especially if you need gasket goo to ensure a seal. I'd rather spend the extra few dollars for proper fittings to have the confidence that my car wasn't going to catch fire any more than normal.

have used hose clamps on braided fuel line before, never had any issuse, with the more expencive hose clamps, but not with gasket goo.

-smurff

Koom said:

I know what they are and there's no way I'd use them for fuel. Especially if you need gasket goo to ensure a seal. I'd rather spend the extra few dollars for proper fittings to have the confidence that my car wasn't going to catch fire any more than normal.

I agree, I've seen more than one low cost setup.

Of all the pressure carrying hoses you could go no frills on why would you with fuel?

Scoobydoo said:

gasket goo........lol ;D ;D ;D

Guest boostcut

if you need gasket goo your definately doing something wrong... ever heard of pushlock? you dont even need a clamp and it holds 300psi.

how many people are actually going to see your fuel lines anyways, there are so many hoses running under the manifold i didnt see the point unless its a dedicated show car, so i got plain black efi hose are regular subby clamps haven't had any issues...

dubbedup said:

how many people are actually going to see your fuel lines anyways, there are so many hoses running under the manifold i didnt see the point unless its a dedicated show car, so i got plain black efi hose are regular subby clamps haven't had any issues...

Point is, its application not looks.

BC5RA']

[quote name='dubbedup said:

/quote]

Point is, its application not looks.

very true, take no shortcuts when its something as serious as a car fire...

car fires just add to the excitement of driving, ive had 2 lol, one was due to a cable fault which caught the crap oil/stuff(?) on the engine to catch fire, that just burnt out before i pulled the pin on the fire extingwisher(sp?)

the other was with fabric braided fuel line, which i forgot to tighten a hose clamp right up, sprayed fuel on the turbo, which ran down the exhust, to the Y join(twin turbo) and caught fire, was one of those, wow, its on fire, wonder how it caught fire there, hmmm. . . maby i should put it out sometime soon, then the, is that really on fire, get the fire putter outer and give it a quick spray.

fire is good :D it cleans stuff lol

-smurff