Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

vz turbo conversion

Guest the_return_of_the_jedi

car: 1990 vz legacy sedan ej20d quadcam n/a 5 speed.

plan is to sell the ej20d quadcam engine, gearbox and rear diff ( taking offers if anyones interested ) and purchase a ej20g engine or build an engine from bits and pieces..

pretty straight froward , just have a few questions..

1. will the brakes be upto scratch.. they look the same as the brakes that were on my gt ( 2pot fronts etc..) is the booster and a.b.s ok for use with the turbo set-up?

2. how complicated is the loom and ecu swap, is there much re wiring at all?

3. is the current pedal box upto the task or is n/a and turbo the same?

4. is there anything else apart from ecu, loom, engine, AFM, radiator, driveshaft, gearbox, rear diff or exhaust system that i need to change?

thanks for your help in advance

Guest boostcut

na clutch is cable, and turbo is hydraulic.

the booster line will have a one way valve and will be fine for boost.

dubbedup said:

i'd say the brakes will be sweet, and your gearbox will all bolt up(dunno how lont it will last for tho, i'd say the hardest part will be the wiring related nightmare, enjoy

yeah ill sell my current box, i know it wont be upto it..

wiring shall be fun.... not

I found the brakes on my old VZ to be a bit lacking even with the standard power - tended to fade a bit driving hard especially downhill. Might be fine with decent pads and fluid though, I didn't really know anything about brakes back then.

GravelBen said:

I found the brakes on my old VZ to be a bit lacking even with the standard power - tended to fade a bit driving hard especially downhill. Might be fine with decent pads and fluid though, I didn't really know anything about brakes back then.

yeah i will be getting some decent pads and do a fluid change eventually.. apparently they do 3 testing runs for certification so thats why i was asking about them

Drunkenmonkey said:

wouldnt it be cheaper to just get a turbo bc/bf? aswell you will need a cert?

not bothered about that.. theyre hard to find anyway..

this way will be a similar cost but gives more room for options/ history of the car etc...

also the interior is pretty mint and body not bad for its age... needs a few dings sorted but not much else..

plus i have til april next year before i have to worry about rego and new wof so not concerned about how llong it takes..

your selling your bf?

:D

doesnt he make you breakfast in bed anymore?

cheers but i like the bc shape already had a wagon :)

yeah i miss the gt... was a fkn sweet ride when it was runnin mint...

hopefully the vz will be just as good, iv sorted some 16" gunmetal grey ver 4 wheels for it too so should get them in a few weeks.. will be droppin in the super lows when they arrive.

engine and gearbox is coming out tomorrow. pics will be posted

fs: ej20d quad cam engine ( reconditoned, water pump, oil pump, cambelt done, head replaced, recent oil change, vz-r bottom end with vz intake manifold. 164,000km ( 2000 km since recondition ) offers over $400

5mt n/a gearbox 3.9 final drive, great condition, no crunching or diff whine, offers over $300

rear diff 3.9 final drive ratio ( needs inner boots done ) $ offers

afm for n/a quad cam $40

radiator for n/a $40

will post more parts when they come up, or if you need anything let me know..

Drunkenmonkey said:

Btw did you ring gerald at strongs??? if so you might get a message from him about buying my bf wagon hurr

yeah rang them today.. not many engines there at the moment..

im thinkin build one from parts. just a tt gt block with wrx heads td-04 for now..

Drunkenmonkey said:

yea they pretty rear atm... might have to build one

yeah its a shame the vz-r long block isnt upto scratch for turbo..

oh well :)

Divine said:

Can you save threads?

I'm very interested in following this for my VZ-R and seeing how this works out for you.

go to the first page. click on bookmarks at the top if windows, then , book mark this page

or save it to a notepad doc file then cut n paste the link.

ok update. engine is out. pics sooner or later..

engineout-1.jpg

went well no drama, took about an hour i guess.

so.. for sale: vz-r longblock with vz intake manifold afm, comes with radiator, power steer pump, alternator, no air con, starter motor, 2000km ago had new head gaskets, water pump, oil pump, cam belt done etc etc, good runner needs new coils and spark plugs as i had to use the ones from my original motor.

can be sold with the 5mt gear box ( no diff whine or crunches, smooth gear changes,)and rear diff. 3,9 ratio

good for if you need to do cambelt and manual conversion in your legacy. will sell with loom and ecu at a fair price

the turbo radiator wont fit your chassis, the loom is completely different and the brakes, suspension will not be upto the task.

its crazy to even attempt this when you can get a RS legacy for around $2k.. by the time you get your VZ upto cert standard you would have spent 2-3k easily.

rslegacy90 said:

the turbo radiator wont fit your chassis, the loom is completely different and the brakes, suspension will not be upto the task.

its crazy to even attempt this when you can get a RS legacy for around $2k.. by the time you get your VZ upto cert standard you would have spent 2-3k easily.

Its not about the money here as Jedi has stated, its a long term project to build a good car up from basically a good shell. Finding a GOOD RS for $2k is getting harder these days. Most have been bastardized with FMIC and cut out front bumpers and generally look like shit anyway.

rslegacy90 said:

yep i dont want a rusted out. on the brink of BEB fail shit bucket thats been 'launched' and 'heli'd' from here to africa..would end up spending 2k fixing it..