Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Broken Into: Subaru Legacy - Wellington

This morning the black beast got broken into, according to neighbours this happened at approx 2.30AM. Sounds like the alarm saved my car as the neighbour turned on her outside lights which would explain a lot.

Car was found with the bonnet up, both scoop and grill in numerous bits (some of which hasn't been found) and also the battery disconnected, a large amount of cut wires inside the engine bay. The front passenger door lock popped

Funny enough the sounds, amp, gauges, head unit e.t.c all stayed in tack, Police are investigating the matter

Happened in the area of Ngaio

Photo's to come

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That really is rat sh!t - exactly what I was hoping NOT to find a week ago myself :'(

Battery backup siren installed in a different place. That'll hopefully save it if they decide to come back...

...and yes, they wanted the whole dang car or they'd have pinched your stuff too. :(

Shale said:

That really is rat sh!t - exactly what I was hoping NOT to find a week ago myself :'(

Battery backup siren installed in a different place. That'll hopefully save it if they decide to come back...

...and yes, they wanted the whole dang car or they'd have pinched your stuff too. :(

BASEBALL BAT TIME.

Should of had one of the wires of the alarm hooked up to a bag of your fart and when one wire is cut, the bag gets popped,and bob's ya uncle! No more thieves!

But on a serious note, unlucky and lets hope that they don't come back.

That sucks man,

Our workshop boy joshs wrx got broken in to at his house in eastbourn last thursday night. They tried to seal his G3, and they stole his snowboard

Its suprising how meny peoples battery back ups in there sirens are flat. I find this often at work. Its worth checking this, to check that it gos off and that it lasts for a couple of minuites, rather then 10-15sec with a stuffed battery, but pulling your battery off without sliencing the alarm (have the alarm key handy to slience it)

• Admin
 Bemrose said:

woah thats kinda emm scary

they knew where the siren was . . . .

This, this, this. The f***ers have seen under your bonnet before they came after it. Do you have pics on the net or anything with the siren visible?

I've never heard of car thieves ripping the scoop off a car. They knew exactly what they were going for, at least when the siren lost it's 'dont scream' signal it went off...

EDIT:

18063_104039559622078_100000481043032_10

;/

Be careful what's visible in your pics guys!

EDIT2, ninja power:

Yup, I found everything a car thief would need in your build thread. Paranoid ka-pow!

DAMN :o Thinking I need to revise mine with my handy sparky friends before I move now.

Just goes to show the internet has its downsides...

On the flip side, over an hour of full volume followed by 7 hours of minimal volume = bleeding out ears. New sirens are ftw!

Guh late reply is late... *shakes fist*

And holy crap yeah, that really helps, that pic :'(

Something else I thought of, could the brain be seen by shining a torch through the scoop first? You don't necessarily need to know where it is, to see if you can see it. Judging by the above pic, probably yes.

It's obviously a bit of a common spot to install them.

In my old legacy it was installed underneath the pod filter. Was a c**t to get to to turn the alarm off, but you knew that no thief could get to it.

My install has so far saved the car a fair few times now that it's replaced the POS Mongoose that was in there before.

And it is WAY, WAY WAY different to many of the above.

Let's just say if you want to get to siren 1, you need to dismantle the front of the car.

Siren 2, good f**king luck.

And the brain? Try dismantling the WHOLE car from the seats forward. ;D

A good 2 hours work if you really, really want the car and don't have a tow truck.

There's NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING, that is visible or readily accessible.

• Admin

IMO an alarm's ability to save your car is 90% install, 10% alarm.

The best alarm in the world isn't going to save sh!t if they find a bundle of black wires under your dash, tug it, and the brain falls down into the footwell.

It is also worth noting that the best ever installed non-battery-backup alarm is a waste of time for anything more than giving your mum's car remote central locking.

As it sounds like you have been Shale, you've gotta be creative with the install. The longer it takes you to put in (and the more zip-ties and tape you use) the longer it's gonna take to get past. If your hands get cut to sh!t installing it or you end up with 3/4 of the cars interior sitting on the floor of your garage then you're probably doing well.

The thieves all have their little tricks too, it's a game of cat and mouse to find innovative ways to protect your car and then they find ways to get around it... and vice versa. I've worked in car audio/security and you learn a lot just from seeing what the munters have done to cars they've tried to take... some of it makes you raise an eyebrow, they can be pretty innovative for a pack of brain-dead mongrels.

I'd love to make a list of sh!t they do and how you can counter it but a. it would be giving away a lot of 'trade secrets' and might annoy any installers that read it plus b. I don't want some crackhead to read it and get any new ideas.

Shale, I require you to share with me some of these tricks you have ;). I have idea's on where to move things etc but seeing your car has had multiple FAILs from thieves it might be a good place to start looking for ideas.